Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lower-than-expected A10 levels... Any ideas? [Solved?]  (Read 631 times)

Offline rjl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
Lower-than-expected A10 levels... Any ideas? [Solved?]
« on: February 04, 2024, 06:17:05 PM »
Hi,

I've been using the SP-CMC-8s > SP-SPSB-20 (12v battery box, no roll-off or volume pot) > Sony PCM-A10 combo for a bit now, and pretty much have the feel of where to start my levels, and adjust from there. However, the other day, at a venue (a decent-sized arena, fairly loud show) that I've taped at a few times w/no problems, I ran into something weird... I started with my levels at their normal 13 - and was maybe halfway to -12db. Over the course of the set I cranked it, in slow increments, all the way up to 21 or 22. No real change. When I got home, the resulting WAV needed A LOT of normalization, and there is also some faint noise to be heard if I listen closely against the speaker, probably from amplifying such a weak signal.

(I initially panicked throughout the set thinking that I may have somehow been recording via the internal mics, in my pocket, but thankfully that was not the case.)

Any ideas? Not even a cause, but avenues to troubleshoot? I checked the voltage on the 12v battery in the box, and while not 100%, it was ~10v. However, if the box were dead, I imagine that I would have had the opposite problem - overloading.

I don't imagine it to be a loose connection, as there were no cuts, and both channels were present and on par with one another, level-wise.

I did a quick scan through the A10's settings, and I can't find anything that may have changed. I literally just turn it on, make sure it's on line-in, manual gain, and pair my phone.

I must be missing something...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 02:33:53 PM by rjl »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Lower-than-expected levels... Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 08:10:26 PM »
plug it all back together and see if you can duplicate the problem while at home with the stereo cranked up?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 11:34:26 PM »
There's been a few posts in the PCM a10 thread about the 12V battery boxes suspected of causing damage to the a10.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 12:30:36 AM »
Switch components and test.

For example, switch out the microphones and AB a recording; Switch out the Battery Box and AB; Switch out the recorder and AB. 

Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rjl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 09:28:44 AM »
Thanks, all - will try with the stereo when I have the place to myself / won't annoy anyone.

I'll also go back through the A10 thread(s).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 09:40:55 AM »
I checked the voltage on the 12v battery in the box, and while not 100%, it was ~10v.

Did you check it using a voltmeter/multimeter or battery tester?  If using a voltmeter/multimeter you want to test the battery while under load, otherwise you can get a false reading.  The issue is that a weak battery can show decent open-circuit voltage but the voltage will immediately drop once under load.  You can use a resistor or lightbulb as load, but usually the easiest thing to do is simply to test the battery while its in the battery box powering the micrphones.  A dedicated battery tester should already have a load integrated into it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rjl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 02:11:35 PM »
I checked the voltage on the 12v battery in the box, and while not 100%, it was ~10v.

Did you check it using a voltmeter/multimeter or battery tester?  If using a voltmeter/multimeter you want to test the battery while under load, otherwise you can get a false reading.  The issue is that a weak battery can show decent open-circuit voltage but the voltage will immediately drop once under load.  You can use a resistor or lightbulb as load, but usually the easiest thing to do is simply to test the battery while its in the battery box powering the micrphones.  A dedicated battery tester should already have a load integrated into it.

Good to know (I had just used a multimeter with the loose battery)!

Offline rjl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 02:38:54 PM »

Good to know (I had just used a multimeter with the loose battery)!

I think that this may have been it. Tried with the stereo on. The battery, under load, was about 7.5v. I swapped in a new one, set it up next to the stereo again, and the fresh battery read a little over 12v while recording. I think I may be good. Will find out in a month or two, as I have some stuff coming up.

Battery was the only thing that I could think of (I had no idea as to others' potential issues w/12v on he A10), but I figured that it would result in ugly overloading rather than a weak signal. I may look into a 9v box, but I like the form factor of 12v, esp the one that I have - it looks like a key fob.

Thanks, all.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 02:46:12 PM »

Battery was the only thing that I could think of (I had no idea as to others' potential issues w/12v on he A10), but I figured that it would result in ugly overloading rather than a weak signal.

I have definitely gotten low levels from a weak battery — sometimes I can see it decline during a show (often one channel before the other, and sometimes preceded by a waveform that peaks higher in one direction than the other). Hope this turns out to be the fix!

Offline rjl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 08:03:46 PM »

Battery was the only thing that I could think of (I had no idea as to others' potential issues w/12v on he A10), but I figured that it would result in ugly overloading rather than a weak signal.

I have definitely gotten low levels from a weak battery — sometimes I can see it decline during a show (often one channel before the other, and sometimes preceded by a waveform that peaks higher in one direction than the other). Hope this turns out to be the fix!

What's funny is that, in spite of all of this - it's not a terrible recording... but what kills me is that it could have been much better. Live and learn.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com