Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NPR: A guide to recording spatial audio for 360-degree video  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
NPR: A guide to recording spatial audio for 360-degree video
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
I thought this may be interesting for those hopping into the Ambeo world.

https://training.npr.org/audio/360-audio/

As immersive video formats grow in popularity, NPR audio engineers have been experimenting with techniques for how to record high-quality spatial audio — an audio format that allows a listener to experience sound in all directions.

NPR’s initial foray into 360-degree video began as part of the Journalism 360 Challenge (J360), which focused on exploring some of the simplest ways to work in an immersive medium with a compact and portable equipment setup.

During a recent trip to Puerto Rico, I helped engineer a rich, immersive audio-video project on the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. Our audio engineering team also explored new territory — combining sound-rich and immersive audio with in-depth reporting and narrative.

As an audio engineer, I was asked to join the project to focus explicitly on high-end immersive spatial audio. This meant two things: First, capturing audio from the camera position with a higher-quality microphone and recorder setup. And second, using more advanced techniques and tools in post-production to enhance the final product, including adding additional audio recorded separately from the main spatial rig.

In this post, we provide a detailed look at recording spatial audio from an engineer’s perspective. It will be most useful for those with a basic understanding of audio engineering fundamentals. We’ll use our recent trip to Puerto Rico to demonstrate one example of an immersive spatial audio workflow.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: NPR: A guide to recording spatial audio for 360-degree video
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
LOL @ gear list
The primary equipment we used in this project:

• Sennheiser Ambeo ambisonic microphone
  • Sennheiser MKH418 mid-side shotgun microphone
  • DPA 4060 omnidirectional lavalier microphones (several on Zaxcom RF beltpacks, plus a stereo pair)
  • Sound Devices MixPre-6 multichannel recorder
  • Sound Devices 788T multichannel recorder
  • Roland R-05 stereo recorder (for 4060 stereo pair)
  • Zoom H2n 2/4 channel recorder
  • Zaxcom TRXLA3 wireless beltpack/recorder
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Re: NPR: A guide to recording spatial audio for 360-degree video
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »
Wonder how hard they lurked this board.
Minus the Zaxs, they are ready for the Phish's OTS with a OMT setup.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com