Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 -> Mini-DAC -?> USB  (Read 3276 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
V3 -> Mini-DAC -?> USB
« on: February 15, 2004, 05:50:46 PM »
Anyone running this ? Was curious if anyone was using the V3 to Mini-DAC in "Digital Pass through Mode" to achieve 24/192 on a laptop via USB

I know it would be some serious $$$$$$$ but that has never stopped this group before :)
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:V3 -> Mini-DAC -?> USB
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 05:55:30 PM »
i dont get why youd want to go from a good A/d through a good D/A through a mediochre A/D

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 06:00:51 PM »
Don't know if I follow you.

You would use the the V3 as the Mic Pre-amp / A/d and then connect to the Appogee Mini-DAC  to enable USB connectiviity to the laptop.  According to the write up on the Mini-DAC it can be used to pass the digi-input through USB without doing anything to the Data.

So as described by the site enabling USB connectivity to any Digital input
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 06:25:09 PM »
oh sorry, i reread your original post, i originally read it as ua-5 not usb :-)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 08:03:01 PM »
i don't think this will work because the v3 outputs 24/192 through dual output aes.  the mini-dac i believe only inputs 1 AES.  also, i didn't think usb could handle 24/192, but i may be wrong.

cpclark

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 02:49:42 AM »
i don't think this will work because the v3 outputs 24/192 through dual output aes.  the mini-dac i believe only inputs 1 AES.  also, i didn't think usb could handle 24/192, but i may be wrong.

your perfectly on the right track damon, usb1.1 even at 24/96 is highly unstable and i dont think it would really even work bit accurate and stable at 24/192, unless we're talking usb 2.0, which it isnt, i dont think this would be a good idea, just my .02

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 01:16:13 PM »
"USB connectivity is the key to portability, and it works smoothly on both Macs and PCs. (If you shied away from earlier implementations of USB for audio, you should give it another chance -- USB 2.0 devices are much better, not to mention the new computer operating systems.) Apogee provides special USB drivers for its Mini series devices, which it recommends that you use (although word is that Apple's Panther OS recognizes it out of the box). The company’s web site also has some tips about optimizing both Macs and PCs for USB operation (http://www.apogeedigital.com/downloads/usb_notes.html). I hooked the Mini•DAC by USB to both an Athlon-powered PC and a Mac G4, and got great-sounding playback with low latency on both platforms. "

This was taken from the review of the unit. It would seem to suggest USB 2.0. I hear what your saying about the 24/192 but would it be a good solution for those looking to get a clean V3 signal to their laptop say at 24/48 or 24/92 ? I was just wondering if anyone ran it and what it sounded like if they did. I will fire off an e-mail to see if I can get an answer on the USB

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »
This is the reply I got from Apogee:

"The Mini-Dac and Mini-Me only have USB 1.1 on them.

We are planning on developing a FireWire card option for them so that
you can do higher than 48Khz to the computer. At the present moment
there is no ETA or price available for this.

When it is available we will announce it on our website.

The Mini-Dac can handle sample rates up to 192Khz via SPDIF and AES but only
96Khz through ADAT at the present moment.

When this signal is present the USB can sample rate and bit convert to USB
at sample
rates up to 48Khz."

cpclark

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 02:50:27 AM »
this is what i thought, usb 1.1 just cant handle sample rates over 48khz bit accurately 24 bit, lets hope they get that firewire option right and pass it on to the consumer so people can make some HQ stuff over usb

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 09:53:00 AM »
I kind of like this unit. I would LOVE it if it had the firewire or USB 2.0 feature but regardless a very nice DAC that could do double duty in the playback system as well as in the field recording.

I think i am gonna take a wait and see approach and see what hey do about the firewire / USB solution.

This device would be ideal for patching a laptop in to any rig as long as you weren't looking to go higher than 24/48, and you could playback through it for listening and mastering

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com