Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-D  (Read 25260 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-D
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
Now all we need is a good digi-in bit bucket

For the USBPre with optical spdif you have the Sony D50 which is a great recorder.  Not much for a good, cheap reliable coax spdif recorder though.  PMD661, though that is a little spendy for just a bit bucket.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
Wonder if they are just getting ready to drop the usbpre from the line up.  Then this would make more sense. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »

For the USBPre with optical spdif you have the Sony D50 which is a great recorder.  Not much for a good, cheap reliable coax spdif recorder though.  PMD661, though that is a little spendy for just a bit bucket.

that brings up an interesting though.

How many recorders can take an AES inbound? What, outside of the 7 series are options?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
How many recorders can take an AES inbound? What, outside of the 7 series are options?

Could always get one of these but then you have to deal with another box.

I would be a sweet box if they could put a Coax or optical out in place of the unbalanced mic out.

kirk97132

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

DR-680 accepts AES

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »

Could always get one of these but then you have to deal with another box.

I would be a sweet box if they could put a Coax or optical out in place of the unbalanced mic out.

Can't you just use an adapter cable???  http://www.fullcompass.com/product/354649.html

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Todd R

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »
Most recorders that can take a coax spdif input can accept an AES signal, either with a straight adapter cable like Terry linked to, or more properly by using a 100>75 transfomer:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/258528.html
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Todd R

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »
BTW Terry, if you could change your text to read one-eyed d!ldo or something more obscure, the content blockers at my work would be much better about letting me read any threads you post to.  ;)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
BTW Terry, if you could change your text to read one-eyed d!ldo or something more obscure, the content blockers at my work would be much better about letting me read any threads you post to.  ;)

LOL!  Fixed it for you...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

DR-680 accepts AES

interesting. Thanks.

Most recorders that can take a coax spdif input can accept an AES signal, either with a straight adapter cable like Terry linked to, or more properly by using a 100>75 transfomer:

oo, neato. I knew you could convert via the hosa box, but didnt know about the barrel method (does it resolve voltage level differences, or just impedance?)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

The 680 automatically sense type of signal and adjusts for it.   and with the 680 it does not always play well with converter boxes due to the way it reads incoming digital stream
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:35:18 PM by kirkd »

Offline Todd R

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »

oo, neato. I knew you could convert via the hosa box, but didnt know about the barrel method (does it resolve voltage level differences, or just impedance?)

It is designed for correcting the impedence differences, but it also affects voltage based on the turns ratio of the transformer.  I'm going from memory, but I think it dropped a 5v signal down to a 0.5V signal.  So yes, iirc it more-or-less corrects the voltage level differences as well.

I don't think it should be a problem using with the 680 since it is not converting the digital stream, it is just correcting impedence and voltage levels.  I sold my Canare 110>75 transformer a couple years back though, so I can't test it with my 680.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
Terry -- thanks for the fix!  My work is no longer blocking my beloved ts.com content.

Online audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
Work without TS.com is like.....well....work.   :P  Who wants that?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »

DR-680 accepts AES

As does the Fostex FR2 - though I've never used the AES input feature on mine
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:00:33 PM by flipp »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com