Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114859 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2017, 07:44:12 AM »
Here's an online album that I recorded in October with a DR-100mkIII and an Audio-Technica at4050st.
https://jasonanick.bandcamp.com/album/rhythm-future-quartet-live-at-49-west-2
For a 2 piece rig that ran me about $1000 I find it quite acceptable. There is an abundance of red hot
fiddle and guitar playing on this recording.

Great recording!  You really got a nice balance between all of the players.  Where was the 4050st positioned?  I can't see it in the pic.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
Here's an online album that I recorded in October with a DR-100mkIII and an Audio-Technica at4050st.
For a 2 piece rig that ran me about $1000 I find it quite acceptable. There is an abundance of red hot

Great recording!  You really got a nice balance between all of the players.  Where was the 4050st positioned?  I can't see it in the pic.

Thanks for your nice comments. Actually the room in the picture is not where it was recorded. It was recorded at the end of a shoebox
shaped room. The room has tables and chairs and seats about 40 in a nice cozy atmosphere. There is no stage. The mic was about 4 feet back
from the band and about 4 feet in the air angled slightly downward. All instruments had small amps but I was also getting a lot of ambient
sound from the acoustic instruments. I did some post processing in Digital Performer and burned with Bias Peak.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:15:14 AM by mepaca »

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »

Great recording and nice band!
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Torsken

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
Hi
New man in here.

I been looking at field recorders with good preamps. The Tascam DR-100mkIII seems to get praise for good sound, but I wonder if it's smooth sailing doing overdubs (recording track on track)? I know it's capable, but have any of you owners used it in this regard.

Besides field recording, -(where it seem to shine), my idea was to use the unit as a standalone digital multitracker for demos. Tascam does not promote the DR-100MkIII for this kind of use and I wonder if it's user friendliness. Portastyudio style  :headphones:

Love the fact that you can record to a SD card, and import to the computer, but I wonder if you can do monitoring, -playback of recorded track while recording a new track?

Basicly I want to record music/sounds with quality without opening the computer. So user friendliness is of key importance (not too much fiddeling with sub menues etc...)

Thanks  :)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »
I have not seen any functionality for overdubbing. I could easily be wrong, as I do not use the feature, but both within the menus on the deck and within the reference manual http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/912/e_dr-100mk3_rm_va%20(1).pdf , I do not see this function on the DR100MKIII.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
Hi
New man in here.

I been looking at field recorders with good preamps. The Tascam DR-100mkIII seems to get praise for good sound, but I wonder if it's smooth sailing doing overdubs (recording track on track)? I know it's capable, but have any of you owners used it in this regard.

Besides field recording, -(where it seem to shine), my idea was to use the unit as a standalone digital multitracker for demos. Tascam does not promote the DR-100MkIII for this kind of use and I wonder if it's user friendliness. Portastyudio style  :headphones:

Love the fact that you can record to a SD card, and import to the computer, but I wonder if you can do monitoring, -playback of recorded track while recording a new track?

Basicly I want to record music/sounds with quality without opening the computer. So user friendliness is of key importance (not too much fiddeling with sub menues etc...)

Thanks  :)

I don't think you can multitrack on the DR100mk3, but you can do it on a TASCAM DR-05 with the latest firmware.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Torsken

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2017, 03:16:35 PM »
I think I may have misunderstood this sentece in the manual, believeing it was overdubbing - track on track:  Dual format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files

Something like the Zoom H6 Six-Track seem to be more of what I need, but I'm never buying a Zoom (too noisy preamps).

The Portastudios seem to be of a lesser audio quality where Tascam cheepo on components vs e.g. DR-100Mk3. If anyone know of a different unit that offers great preamp(s) and multitracking, please let me know.

How does the DR-05 preamps and mics measure up to the top end DR-100Mk3..?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:36:18 PM by Torsken »

Offline SoundManJohn365

• Taperssection Newbie
    • soundcloud
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
Hi all, just checking in here after a few months of intensive DR-100 MKIII use. I spent 2 months in Finland making field recordings of ice and primarily used the DR-100 MKIII and a pair of Primo EM172s. This included leaving the recorder (in a camera bag) out on frozen lakes and bays for 1-2 hours at a time. The temperatures ranged from -5˚C to -17˚C. No problems, everything worked great. You can listen to a mix of unprocessed recordings on SC: https://soundcloud.com/maaheli/bay-of-bothnia-ice-flows

In a few noisier situations like recording on ships, I used the 'dual format recording' which came in handy. This is not an overdubbing function. It simply records a second file at the same time at -20db lower as a 'safe' back up.
sound/field recordist

Offline petphi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Power-On problems?
Just wondering if any other purchasers of this device have encountered a problem with the device locking up / not powering-on after a couple of days without use, despite a fully charged Li-ion battery?

A quick follow-up to my original post (Reply #123):

My initial "device won't power on after a week" issues resolved by themselves after a week or two. Who knows why?

Anyway, this nice-device continues to deliver.

Cheers, Peter

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE V. 1.02

http://tascam.com/product/DR-100mkIII/downloads/

NOTES:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always use the most recent firmware for this device.
Please visit the TEAC Global Site at http://teac-global.com/ to check for the latest firmware.

Maintenance items
V1.02 fix

- Operation of the MS decoder when the input source is set to Line has been improved.

- The recording setting file format would not resume. This has been fixed.

- Operation when the recording setting sampling frequency is set to 192/176.4kHz has been improved.

- Operation reliability has been improved.
V1.01 fix

- Operation reliability has been improved.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »

Thanks for your nice comments. Actually the room in the picture is not where it was recorded. It was recorded at the end of a shoebox
shaped room. The room has tables and chairs and seats about 40 in a nice cozy atmosphere. There is no stage. The mic was about 4 feet back
from the band and about 4 feet in the air angled slightly downward. All instruments had small amps but I was also getting a lot of ambient
sound from the acoustic instruments. I did some post processing in Digital Performer and burned with Bias Peak.

Excellent job, mepaca!

This is my favorite way of recording, of some of my most favored music, and the performance is top notch.  I suspect Stéphane Grappelli would approve!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2017, 04:45:08 AM »
Thanks Gutbucket. That is high praise indeed coming from guys like you and Voltronic. For paid gigs I almost always do multi track recordings so
that I have more control after the fact. As a hobbyist though I still love to make pure stereo recordings and I have literally thousands of these
cafe style recordings. I really like this AT 4050st mic. I find it sounds more like what I hear in the room than any of the dozens of other mics that
I have including my Schoeps m/s rig. Keep in mind that I rarely record in giant theaters, sports arenas etc. Also, the little Tascam deck more than
holds its own. For classical stuff I still use my usbpre 2 though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:23:18 AM by mepaca »

Offline JDW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
I am mulling a purchase of either the Sony PCM-D100 or the TASCAM DR-100mkIII.  I am curious about how peak limiting compares. 

From what I have read online, the TASCAM has a "Dual level recording" feature that simultaneously records a second audio file 12dB lower than the main recording.  The TASCAM manual calls it a "backup."  TASCAM says that feature can only be used on lower sampling frequencies, not on 176.4 or 192kHz.  Also, there is what appears to be a separate peak "limiter" function that is not directly tied in with "dual level recording."

In contrast the Sony D100 has a Peak Limiter feature that also records a second audio file at 12dB lower than the main recording, but it is not called "a backup."  Instead, the D100 seems to automatically insert the -12dB (non-clipped) waveform into the main recording as needed.  There is no separate peak limiter because the -12dB second recording IS the limiter.

So it seems that the D100 fixes clipped portions of a recording automatically whereas the TASCAM merely provides a backup file that requires you to use an audio editor to manually copy and paste the portions clipped.  Is this correct?

Respective product manuals are found here:

TASCAM:
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/912/e_dr-100mk3_rm_va%20(1).pdf

SONY:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/763631/Sony-Pcm-D100.html?page=71

Thanks.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2017, 08:03:04 PM »
I am mulling a purchase of either the Sony PCM-D100 or the TASCAM DR-100mkIII.  I am curious about how peak limiting compares. 

From what I have read online, the TASCAM has a "Dual level recording" feature that simultaneously records a second audio file 12dB lower than the main recording.  The TASCAM manual calls it a "backup."  TASCAM says that feature can only be used on lower sampling frequencies, not on 176.4 or 192kHz.  Also, there is what appears to be a separate peak "limiter" function that is not directly tied in with "dual level recording."

In contrast the Sony D100 has a Peak Limiter feature that also records a second audio file at 12dB lower than the main recording, but it is not called "a backup."  Instead, the D100 seems to automatically insert the -12dB (non-clipped) waveform into the main recording as needed.  There is no separate peak limiter because the -12dB second recording IS the limiter.

So it seems that the D100 fixes clipped portions of a recording automatically whereas the TASCAM merely provides a backup file that requires you to use an audio editor to manually copy and paste the portions clipped.  Is this correct?

Respective product manuals are found here:

TASCAM:
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/912/e_dr-100mk3_rm_va%20(1).pdf

SONY:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/763631/Sony-Pcm-D100.html?page=71

Thanks.

The way I'm reading that Sony manual is pretty much describing how digital limiters work.  It's not really recording a second set of tracks; just storing a few seconds in memory and swapping from the output of one ADC to the other if it detects clipping.  What I don't like at all is that you can't adjust the limiter threshold.  And trust me, you will hear it working.  It's very noticeable on music, but works OK with dialogue or FX.  Limiters of this type also tend to raise the noisefloor of the recording by the amount they are reducing.  See the next page of that manual.  If you want 100 dB S/N ratio, you can't get that with the limiter engaged. 

Good analog limiters such as those found on Sound Devices recorders and other pro-level gear are a different story as they work a totally different way.  But analog or digital, if you're compressing / limiting in the recorder, you're losing that dynamic range permanently which is why I'm not a fan of limiting at the recording stage unless absolutely necessary.

In contrast, the Tascam is actually recording a complete second set of "safety" tracks -12 dB lower than the main stereo pair which you can then choose to use as you wish later on (or not use at all if you don't need them).  This is much better than using a limiter IMO, because you're not "baking in" compression to your recording.  I do this on my DR-70D whenever I'm only using two mics, since most of what I record has a fairly large dynamic range.  In post, if I see the main tracks are hitting 0 dB anywhere that's part of the music (I don't care about applause which I knock back anyway), I ditch the main pair entirely and use the -12 dB safety tracks instead.  These will require more amplification in post obviously, but they will have no clipping (unless you went nuts with your gain settings and the original tracks are massively clipped to start with).

Some here may advise keeping your original tracks even when they have some clipping, and editing in the safety tracks just for those sections.  I find that to be rather time-consuming to get such edits to sound seamless, especially with regard to ambient noise, but that's an option if you want it as well.  It's kind of what the Sony D100 is doing on the fly, but you have the option of altering or undoing it.

Long story short: The DR-100 mkIII offers a much better solution for avoiding clipping by use of those safety tracks, giving you the option of doing what you want later on.  It's also far less expensive, will let you connect real mics, etc.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
This will probably matter only to very few if any, but for the record, this TASCAM DR-100mk3 will actually accept a digital input from the Audient Mico preamp SPDIF out.

To my knowledge, no other SONY or TASCAM recorder with digital input will do this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com