Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Smallest decent 4-track?  (Read 3833 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Smallest decent 4-track?
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »
Hello,

What is currently the smallest decent 4-track?
Mini-jack inputs are OK. No need for XLR, S/P-DIF, TOS-link, etc.
Just need the M10 but with2 extra tracks making it 4.
Anyone here got a suggestion?

Udo

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: Smallest decent 4-track?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:51:34 AM »
Tascam DR-2d.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
Tascam DR-2d.

Yup, only catch would be if you want to feed it 4 really hot line level signals.  The "mic" input of he DR2D seems to handle consumer line level signals ok (set input sensitivity to low, level near 70 to match the line in at 100) but pro level line out would require external attenuation.

Offline srijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:52:51 PM »
Tascam DR-2d.

How does this compare to the zoom h4n?
Also are there any other portable recorders in this price range that can record 4 tracks simultaneously?

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:49 AM »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
interesting:
http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/applications/
looks like you can record line in and mic in
kind cool for $199 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673339-REG/Tascam_DR_2D_DR_2d_Portable_Digital_Recorder.html

the only downer is when you go line in for the second stereo pair, you can't monitor the levels. basically you have to select a pad setting from -6 to -12dbs and hope it never clips. I guess setting it at -10 you would probably be ok.

owner manual here: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/42/E_DR-2d_OM_vB.pdf

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
the only downer is when you go line in for the second stereo pair, you can't monitor the levels. basically you have to select a pad setting from -6 to -12dbs and hope it never clips. I guess setting it at -10 you would probably be ok.

owner manual here: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/42/E_DR-2d_OM_vB.pdf
^^^
Oops, not correct on either account. 

You can switch metering between the channel pairs easily by pushing a button (as long as the 'hold' switch is not engaged).  The selected input pair being metered is indicated on the display.  If you mean swithing monitoring by listening to the audio output of the headphone jack instead of visually watching the meters, I believe you are correct but I haven't tested that. 

The input level of the line-in pair in 4-channel mode is fully adjustable (attenuatable from 100 down to 0), but the catch is that it can only be adjusted via a menu, not when in record or rec/pause.  The input level for the mic-in pair is adjustable at anytime like a typical recorder unless 'hold' is on (even then  it can be adjusted via the IR remote).

It works the same way in 'mix' mode, where the 4-channel input is mixed internally by the ratio you set to a single stereo file.

The -6  / -12 setting refers to a different feature where the recorder makes a saftey backup at a lower level than the mic-input setting.  In that mode the recorder is a two-channel machine, but writes two seperate stereo files, one 6 or 12 db lower than the other.  In that mode adjusting the input level while recording does adjust the level to both files, as they always retain that 6 or 12 dB difference.

..only catch would be if you want to feed it 4 really hot line level signals.  The "mic" input of he DR2D seems to handle consumer line level signals ok (set input sensitivity to low, level near 70 to match the line in at 100) but pro level line out would require external attenuation.

Truth.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:52:22 PM »
in that case, it is the cheapest 4 channel recorder out there

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
The advantages of the DR2d are small size, low cost, and a nice functioning IR remote which overrides 'hold'.
Sound quality is good.  For pocketable 4-channel it's great.

Downsides are the somewhat clunky 4-channel operation, some difficulty in figuring out what the equivalent input sensitivity level is if trying to match the levels of each pair, the mentioned lack of level adjustment while recording 4-channle on the line-input, and limited battery life.

IME, the R-44 is far more straight forward to run as a 4-channel recorder and what I use when I don't need 4 in a pocket.  I use and value both.
---------------------------------

The only other similarly sized option I know of is the Sonosax MINIR82 which does 4 analog in, 2 with phantom, + 4 more digital for 8 total and is about the same size I think.  Far, far bigger $ though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline srijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:21:13 PM »
No opinions on the h4n? I have a feeling this works better as a 4-track. Am I right?
Also, does the tascam have a safety clip feature?

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:25:21 PM »
If you mean swithing monitoring by listening to the audio output of the headphone jack instead of visually watching the meters, I believe you are correct but I haven't tested that. 

Correct.  In dual (line) mode the headphone/line out gives a mix of both inputs regardless of what the meters are set to display.  Not a big problem unless you are giving someone a patch (does that ever still happen) when running a sbd/mic matrix from more than a few tens of feet back due to the delay.

For Srijan, the DR2D has a safe mode as 2-track, but not 4.  I don't have direct experience with the ZoomH4N but did have an H4 for a while.  It was audibly worse than the Tascam with a significant high frequency rolloff.  Maybe they did a better job with the H4N.  The Zoom is certainly bigger.

Edit:  if you really need on the fly over the line in, I suppose you could use a variable attenuator upstream of the input.  As Gutbucket mentioned, you can switch the metering to observe the effects of changing the attenuation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:43:41 PM by Will_S »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »
I'm considering building or having someone build for me a 4-channel ganged variable attenuator for input level control.  That way once I match levels across channels I can easily vary them all simultaneously.  Combined with the external battery I'm now using, that should perfect the DR2d for my uses.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com