Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack mods?  (Read 17618 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Microtrack mods?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »
question...
what is everyone doing to get a S/PDIF cable to fit into these things?

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »
You can only use certain types like the Hosa cable that Cascade media sells. Or you can shave off some plastic around the connection
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »
there are many RCA jacks which fit the S/PDIF input connection.  the Hosa is one of them.  I use a right-angle switchcraft RCA on a DIY coax cable.  works like a charm.

Offline cybermansrev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
Good info...   I can't help but wonder if simply extending the shielding to completely wrap the 1/8" and 1/4" sockets would help.

That was my intention when opening the MT but now believing there's different internals I think it'll be a bigger job.

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »
Just like Buses (no pun intended) you wait for one then along come two together,
after
I am going to work on a mod for the microtrack in the next 2 weeks since I just finished the R4. I will keep you guys posted on what is to come. I know that just a few small mods will make this thing sound a hell of a lot better. The aim is to make it a viable tool for stealthing without a separate pre A/D.
My mods will be available through Cascade media and we will offer them to those that already one the microtrack as well as new units.

In reply to my question on the Oade Forum if Doug would explain his own mods to his MT he replied
I so wish I had the time to do that ! Working with the smallest SMD devices made to date is not easy and requires a high level of skill to accomplish without torching the PCB. Even if I had the time to work out a clear post on the procedure, I would be eaten alive by request for help to undo the damage...
Anyone who bought it from us and is willing to let me void their warranty with no expectations of support for anything other than the parts I put in, send me an email via this board...
Doug

So a solution to some MT problems seems to be on horizon for you lucky Yanks who've purchased MT's from certain outlets.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 11:35:44 AM »
When just recording silence from 1/4", no mics attached, I get -80/-84 dB (L/R) from the SF stats.  ???
Is this an acceptable way of measuring?

This brings up a valid point - how can we (the taper) measure the noise floor for our gear?

Run it with nothing attached, and check the various RMS values shown a la Audition or CEP? Or do we need to generate some kind of signal into the input? To measure the mic preamps, it seems we would need something attached to either the 1/8" or the TRS input.

Techie advise needed

No advice yet?
In the mean time I did a frequencey analysis in AA over a few seconds of the same silence (1/4" input, 48 Khz, minimum gain, nothing attached) and got a noisefloor below -96 dB.
We need info if this is a correct method of determining the analog performance of the MT so we can compare after mods have been performed.

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 12:58:06 PM »
I spoke with Leonard at Sonic Studios about the analog testing yesterday... I'm not a techie, and thus didn't understand everything (ok, most things) he said, but he made it clear that some kind of input should be attached, even if there is no active signal - I'll try it by attenuating the mic signal down to zero into both the 1/8" and TRS inputs. and measuring the noise at that point with various gain from the preamp at various input settings.

Based on my experience with amplified music, that seems to be no problem at all. Very quiet stuff will be another story.

AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 01:17:41 PM »
I don't know too much about this but I do know that measuring gear with a false load or no load is problematic because you can end up measuring the error of the load resistor or the caps that block the phantom power, etc.  What tolerance was the resistor you used?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 05:21:11 AM »
I don't know too much about this but I do know that measuring gear with a false load or no load is problematic because you can end up measuring the error of the load resistor or the caps that block the phantom power, etc.  What tolerance was the resistor you used?

Suggest using 1000 ohm 1% metal film to ground (each of TRS bal inputs; need 4 resistors for this)

below is what I got with the TRS inputs using CEP to look at the recordinga made of the input noise.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 05:34:12 AM »
Suggest using 1000 ohm 1% metal film to ground (each of TRS bal inputs; need 4 resistors for this)

Could I just get your confirmation that what your saying is to connect a 1k resistor between tip and sleeve and a further 1K between ring and sleeve to simulate a load (on each TRS jack)?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »

Could I just get your confirmation that what your saying is to connect a 1k resistor between tip and sleeve and a further 1K between ring and sleeve to simulate a load (on each TRS jack)?

In other words, connect 1K ohm (4 total) resistors each from tip-to-ground, and ring-to-ground for each channel.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 10:37:41 AM »
Closest I can get here is about 1K2 Ohms.
Also I use the MT only in unbalanced mode.
So I can ground the ring?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
Closest I can get here is about 1K2 Ohms.
Also I use the MT only in unbalanced mode.
So I can ground the ring?

Yes, you can do the noise tests with ring grounded, and tip with the 1000 ohm resistor to ground connection

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »

Has anyone considered modifying the 1/8" input jack to act as a carrier to the 1/4" jacks by cutting the traces for the 1/8" inputs and re-routing them to the 1/4"? This would be done with the purpose of avoiding the necessary use of any converter cables for someone who what's to run stealth mics or any input with a 1/8" connector.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 01:08:52 AM »

Has anyone considered modifying the 1/8" input jack to act as a carrier to the 1/4" jacks by cutting the traces for the 1/8" inputs and re-routing them to the 1/4"? This would be done with the purpose of avoiding the necessary use of any converter cables for someone who what's to run stealth mics or any input with a 1/8" connector.
I have this mod on my list of things I'd like to be modded on my MT.
Did not find someone yet who could do this.

This mod, plus the reduction of the ever present gain by 6 dB or so would be enough for me; maybe a battery mod?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com