Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small stealth deck (like pcm-10) but with balnce controls  (Read 11892 times)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
Looking for a small stealth deck with left right balance controls for external mics. Sony pcm-10 would have been perfect for naiant ipa but does not have balance control.
Which do you prefer for stealth: dr-40, dr-05, r-05, m audio track or other I'm not considering.
Looking for small size, balance control, decent pres, visable/good screen size, secure inputs.
I will run it with my mbho ka200n > naiant ipa > stealth deck.
Getting ready for McLaughlin and Herring in nov
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:20:18 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: ISO Small deck like pcm-10 but with balnce controls
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:50:05 AM »
Is the PCM-D100 too big for you? I've managed to stealth with it in my jeans pocket, with the advantage that it provides 5v PIP which has been enough to ditch the battery box or pre-amp.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:41:36 AM »
Is the PCM-D100 too big for you? I've managed to stealth with it in my jeans pocket, with the advantage that it provides 5v PIP which has been enough to ditch the battery box or pre-amp.
Pcm-d100 runs around $800. I am looking to spend <$400 since I rarely stealth.
I occasionally used my ocm pmd661 as an all in one box but wanding is so prevalent now days I need something smaller for low pro stealth.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Looking for a small stealth deck with left right balance controls for external mics. Sony pcm-10 would have been perfect for naiant ipa but does not have balance control.
Which do you prefer for stealth: dr-40, dr-05, r-05, m audio track or other I'm not considering.

I don't think the R-05 has balance control.  I'd love to be wrong about that though.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
Tascam has a toggle for Left/Both/Right channel and then one input level knob. It works great and additionally has XLR-ins which I prefer in all taping situations. But given the choice, I'd rather stealth the mixpre than the tascam due to the superior preamps.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:31:10 AM by gewwang »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »

curious..  with what type of mikes?
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
Run the M10 and even out the channels in post
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
curious..  with what type of mikes?

For stealth a variety of Church Audio mics, mainly the CAFS, but also AT853. I know Chris Church always maintains his mics require 9v, but I've always had good results using the PIP from the D100 even in loud shows.

I picked up my second unit secondhand for £315 ($400)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:11:48 PM by adrianb »
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Run the M10 and even out the channels in post

Yeah, any reason you don't want to do that?

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
The Marantz PMD 620 has the least amount of metal of any small deck besides the Korg MR-1.
The 620 gets about 4 hours on a good set of batteries, the MR-1 needs you to have an external battery pack (4 AAs or a small phone charging battery.)

The 620 will power sonic studios mics so probably also church mics. That's about as light as I can imagine.
I think punkjazz used to use the Sony M10 to power DPA 4061 mics, which sound better with 48v, but will still work with whatever the M10 was outputting.

I haven't been wanded in years and I haven't had the metal detectors yet.
What will they let you bring in? Batteries? Phone accessories?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:13:47 PM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
The Marantz PMD 620 has the least amount of metal of any small deck besides the Korg MR-1.
The 620 gets about 4 hours on a good set of batteries, the MR-1 needs you to have an external battery pack (4 AAs or a small phone charging battery.)

The 620 will power sonic studios mics so probably also church mics. That's about as light as I can imagine.
I think punkjazz used to use the Sony M10 to power DPA 4061 mics, which sound better with 48v, but will still work with whatever the M10 was outputting.

I haven't been wanted in years and I haven't had the metal detectors yet.
What will they let you bring in? Batteries? Phone accessories?
They allow cells but just caps, ipa and a small deck has a decent chance with a lazy guard.
Pmd620 looks sweet but no information on left and right balance control online? My pmd661 has a gain knob with adjustable left and right wheel controls. The pmd620 has a single record button but it might have settings to adjust both channels separately but there's nothing online to confirm it. Anyone have experience with one?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:00:08 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
For a small stealth deck nothing beats the Sony PCM-M10(has no independent channel control),M10 battery life is unbeatable.

Only deck i've used that had L/R control was the Sony PCM D100,easily available,pricey,and a little big.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
PMD620 mkII does not have individual channel gain. 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Look at the specs of the Marantz PMD561 and PMD661 MKIII

are those too big for you?
once again, lost in all the noise

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
The dr-40 can control left/right input individually, lasts a ridiculously long time on aa's and consists mostly of plastic, yet is still real durable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com