Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Professionals vs. Church Audio  (Read 6808 times)

Offline Mr.Scully

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
Sound Professionals vs. Church Audio
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:41:49 AM »
I'm about to buy a new mic (and a new digital recorder too!), it should be for recording loud rock/metal/punk concerts and around $100-$150 max. I'm currently hesitating between

SP-BMC-12 (Audio Technica) from Sound Professionals (about $120 incl. the croakie mount)
and
CA-11 from Church Audio (about $140 incl. the croakie mount)

I know the guy from Church Audio is here on the board while the guys from Sound Professionals probably aren't so I assume most people here will praise Church Audio but is it really better in this case? Has anybody tested mics of these two brands side-to-side? Or are both basically of the same quality?

Thanks

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Professionals vs. Church Audio
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »
For loud concerts, go with the Church mics.

Sound Pros do come to this site and you can get a discount there as you are member here.  Church Audio usually has specials running all the time, see the retail thread.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »
Church probably has a better deal than $140 for that but don't quote me on that!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »
Church probably has a better deal than $140 for that but don't quote me on that!

Yep, free shipping until July 15 or something ;) I will have to decide quickly ;)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »

Yep, free shipping until July 15 or something ;) I will have to decide quickly ;)

I am extending the free shipping until the end of July.. So dont worry
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline avrilfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
I  dont know about sound professionals, but if you choose church audio, you wont be dissapointed for sure. If you want, I can send you some samples from some live shows. I recorded some lately.
CA-11 Cards > CA-9100 Preamp > Zoom H2 :)

Thanks you Chris Church for your awesome gear.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
I  dont know about sound professionals, but if you choose church audio, you wont be dissapointed for sure. If you want, I can send you some samples from some live shows. I recorded some lately.

If you have recorded some loud rock gigs, please send me some short samples to webmaster [at] queenconcerts.com

Also I see you have the CA-9100 Preamp - is it an important thing to have or would a $30 battery box do basically the same job? I suppose I must read the forum a bit more to get these answers... ;-)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »

If you have recorded some loud rock gigs, please send me some short samples to webmaster [at] queenconcerts.com

Also I see you have the CA-9100 Preamp - is it an important thing to have or would a $30 battery box do basically the same job? I suppose I must read the forum a bit more to get these answers... ;-)

You didn't ask me anything, sorry for answering  ;D. I'm not an expert, but I do know this one.
We're talking about two different things here. A battery box will power your mics, so you don't have to use your recorder's plug in power. The bb will provide your  mics the needed power to handle  higher SLP ( in other words: loud rock gigs).
A preamp also powers your mics, but it's main purpose is to amplify the signal coming from your mics towards the the Line input of your recorder. In a loud rock gig you can use only a battery box. But you can do like many folks around here ( myself included): low rec level ( recorder) and use the preamp ( usually) cleaner gain.
Hope that helps  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:55:25 AM »
Thanks for the answer. Since I record only loud rock gigs (with volume level set to 40%) and my budget is limited, I think I will rather invest my money into a good mic (the new CA-14?) and get a battery box for now. That should still be an improvement compared to my current Sony ECM-907.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 07:10:39 AM »
This is what I've found: two samples of the same song (Have A Cigar) from the same gig (Roger Waters somewhere in Canada), recorded with two different mics:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bjz99zz3m39
==> SP-BMC-2 binaural microphones w/SP-EMC1 croakies > MM-CBM battery module > Sony MZ-NH600 Hi-MD @ 16-bit/44.1kHz

http://www.mediafire.com/?g9dwjym4cw1
==> Church Audio stealth cardioids > Church Audio ST9100 preamp (bass filter on) > Edirol R-09 w/4GB SDHC card @ 24-bit/48kHz

To me the SP-BMC-2 version sounds clearer (at least the vocals and overall sound). The CA version has better drums I think. Still, if I my decision had to be based on these two samples, I'd probably go for the SP mic... :-(

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 10:55:22 AM »
Those are two different types of microphones...
The cards are directional mics, and will sound quite different than the bi's.
You need to compare AT cards with CA cards (or bis for both)

I,personally would avoid bi's and use cards for large loud shows,you'll be able to "lock into" the music more and avoid the noise of all of the people around you.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 11:23:50 AM »
Those are two different types of microphones...
The cards are directional mics, and will sound quite different than the bi's.
You need to compare AT cards with CA cards (or bis for both)

I,personally would avoid bi's and use cards for large loud shows,you'll be able to "lock into" the music more and avoid the noise of all of the people around you.

That sounds logical but don't you have a feeling that the AT sample from my previous posts sounds better than CA - even though the AT mics were omnidirectional?

Omni versus uni - I assume there's no 100% correct answer? Some people say the omnidirectional capture the "feel" of the concert better and provide a richer sound while others say they will only capture an unwanted noise from the audience...

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »
If you like the sound of the AT mics then there's absolutely no reason not to use them.  Sound Professionals is a good company and their preamps are very high quality.  With an SP mic/preamp combo you'll get good equipment.  Chris Church has a great reputation here because he's spent a lot of time trying to make affordable, high quality equipment.  His preamps are at least as good as the SP models.  I have the SP-PREAMP-3 and CA-9000 and both are good.  I just happen to have used the SP model first and have an affinity for it.  I've ordered from SP a few times and have no reason not to again.

It all boils down to what sounds best to you.  I think the majority of people just favor cardioid mics for mixed enviorments because they are more forgiving as far as the amount of extra sound they pick up than omnis.   

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Thanks for the answer. Since I record only loud rock gigs (with volume level set to 40%) and my budget is limited, I think I will rather invest my money into a good mic (the new CA-14?) and get a battery box for now. That should still be an improvement compared to my current Sony ECM-907.

You bet. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

nameloc01

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »
I didn't listen to the samples, I just prefer cards to omnis,especially in that type of environment. You need to get whatever sounds good to your ears.

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 03:33:36 AM »
This is what I've found: two samples of the same song (Have A Cigar) from the same gig (Roger Waters somewhere in Canada), recorded with two different mics:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bjz99zz3m39
==> SP-BMC-2 binaural microphones w/SP-EMC1 croakies > MM-CBM battery module > Sony MZ-NH600 Hi-MD @ 16-bit/44.1kHz

http://www.mediafire.com/?g9dwjym4cw1
==> Church Audio stealth cardioids > Church Audio ST9100 preamp (bass filter on) > Edirol R-09 w/4GB SDHC card @ 24-bit/48kHz

To me the SP-BMC-2 version sounds clearer (at least the vocals and overall sound). The CA version has better drums I think. Still, if I my decision had to be based on these two samples, I'd probably go for the SP mic... :-(

When you try to compare the sound of two mics, you should make sample recordings at least by taping from the same location.  I think it is worthy of checking several more recordings before you make a final call.  I have CMC-4(Card/AT853s), CMC-8(Card+Hyper/AT943s), Church Audio Mic(Card), DPA4061(Omni), and OKM2(Omni).  I often tape the loud metal, punk rock show and usually pick up the mics depending on the acoustic of the venue and the recording location.
Koichi
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 06:23:47 AM »
Thanks for all the advices. Since my budget is limited, I think I'll get the only unidirectional mic for now as it seems to be more versatile for my purposes. Sound Professionals don't seem to offer the croakie mount for their cardioid mics so I'll probably get one of the CA mics (CA-11 or the new CA-14) + the croakie mount + a battery box. With the free shipping it should be below $200.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:25:20 AM by Mr.Scully »

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »
Thanks for all the advices. Since my budget is limited, I think I'll get the only unidirectional mic for now as it seems to be more versatile for my purposes. Sound Professionals don't seem to offer the croakie mount for their cardioid mics so I'll probably get one of the CA mics (CA-11 or the new CA-14) + the croakie mount + a battery box. With the free shipping it should be below $200.

You may as well get the package deal with the 9100 preamp included as well.  That baby will come in handy far into the future even after you upgrade your mics.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

You may as well get the package deal with the 9100 preamp included as well.  That baby will come in handy far into the future even after you upgrade your mics.

But then we're talking about at least $150 + $180 = $330 + $20 for the croakie mount. And I also have to buy the recorder which means another $380 incl. postage to EU. That's well over $700. Not good :-) Hard life of a taper... ;-)

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »
Buy used?

nameloc01

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
You are much better off buying what you know you like (want) right off of the bat, if you don't..I can gurantee you after your first recording you'll be unhappy and will be looking to upgrade immediately. Which means more money than you would have spent in the first place.

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 11:51:54 PM »

>But then we're talking about at least $150 + $180 = $330 + $20 for the croakie mount. And I also have to buy the >recorder which means another $380 incl. postage to EU. That's well over $700. Not good :-) Hard life of a >taper... ;-)

I bought Church Audio mics and a Church Audio pre from a TS member on Yard Sale for $150+shipping ;D
I can not find a better pre than Chris's in this price range.

<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »
I made a great stealth recording of Stephen Stills last year with Church Audio cards and preamp 9100.

GO CHURCH AUDIO!
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com