Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which mic sound better?

Mics "A"
8 (57.1%)
Mics "B"
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Blind Side-by-side: CA-11's vs CA-14's  (Read 5941 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Blind Side-by-side: CA-11's vs CA-14's
« on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:05 AM »
I recorded my local high school's jazz band this evening and brought along some gear.  The performance took place in the corner of a gymnasium (see pictures).  I recorded three songs, swapping between the CA-11's and CA-14's at different points in the songs so that you can playback and compare what you hear.  The lineage is CA-11 / CA-14 > CA ST-9100 pre > R09-HR at 24bit/88.2kHz. 

A couple of notes:
  • Both "R09_0007.flac," and "R09_0008.flac" were recorded from about 25-30 feet away.  After a group of kids next to me got chatty, I moved forward a bit for "R09_0009.flac" to record the performers' final song.
  • Both the CA-11's and the CA-14's I was using were fixed cardiods, not the newer swappable caps kind that Chris now has available.  Furthermore, please note that the CA-11's did not have windscreens on them, the CA-14's have built-on windscreens.
  • I recorded at about 4.5ft high (people were seated to my left, indian style on the gym floor), ORTF
  • Both the preamp and the line-in were set to their max configuration.  There was no editing of any kind in post aside from chopping, inserting silence (to clean up the unplug / plug in noises), and fades.
  • Do not keep reading this sentence unless you want to find out which microphones are which.  I am about to tell you whether mic A is the CA-14's or CA-11's,  and that mic B is the other one.  If you don't want to know, stop reading.  Okay.  I'm assuming you want to know.  In the test, the CA 14's are the microphones that start the first and third recordings.  The CA-11's start only the second recording, but are featured as the second mic in the third and first recordings.  Look at the listings below to decode that.

I'll leave this thread open and mysterious for a few days, then post which is which.  Sorry for the huge file size, these are long jazz songs.  Download just one if you want, download all three for more exposure to the mics.  I also wanted to leave them 24bit, so that there would be more "room" for the mics to express themselves.

R09_0007.flac, 263.8MB: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GYS6KR2M
R09_0008.flac, 184.0MB: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4KIEDC6K
R09_0009.flac, 269.4MB: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KTICS4G7

In R09_0007.flac:
Start - Mic A
3:28 - Switch to Mic B
11:12 - Switch to Mic A

In R09_0008.flac:
Start - Mic B
5:27 - Switch to Mic A

In R09_0009.flac
Start - Mic A
3:51 - Switch to Mic B
9:36 - Switch to Mic A

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:50:19 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Re: Blind Side-by-side: CA-11's vs CA-14's
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:57:27 AM »
Excellent!! Should be very interesting to hear...  ^-^

There's no doubt in my mind that mic A actually is the CA-14 and that mic B is the CA-11...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:00:08 AM by jontebus »

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
    • big microscope: live music and liberal rants
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
travelinbeat: i don't have enough posts around here to have PM privileges, and rather than spam the forums with pointless comments i thought i'd just make one and ask if you'd be so kind as to get in touch with me re: your CA-11 mounting details. i just purchased a pair of CA-11 cards from chris and need a good mount (and stand if necessary, though i usually just use one of my vocal mic stands). thank you so much in advance.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
Not a huge difference, but I like mic A.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »
Great test I would be interested in the results.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
Just gave these another listen--

That really annoying noise is mostly the lights of the gym.  They're those crappy, noisy florescents or whatever

Also: OG edited to include details about which mic is which
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
travelinbeat: i don't have enough posts around here to have PM privileges, and rather than spam the forums with pointless comments i thought i'd just make one and ask if you'd be so kind as to get in touch with me re: your CA-11 mounting details. i just purchased a pair of CA-11 cards from chris and need a good mount (and stand if necessary, though i usually just use one of my vocal mic stands). thank you so much in advance.

"spam the forums with pointless comments"?

Dude - Finding info like your request above is the why this forum exists!

Goto the "Microphones And Setup" forum and make a post like: "Recommend a stand and mounts for CA-11s" - No sin in that!

If anything is "pointless," it's hoping you get the right info by making an off topic reply...

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:12:39 PM »

Goto the "Microphones And Setup" forum and make a post like: "Recommend a stand and mounts for CA-11s" - No sin in that!

If anything is "pointless," it's hoping you get the right info by making an off topic reply...

point taken. i just saw the first photo travelinbeat posted and thought "well, that would answer my question right there." but i'll do as you suggest and create a new topic. i have learned an amazing amount of info from this site already and really appreciate the willingness of so many experts to share their considerable knowledge. thanks for the kick in the ass.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

point taken. i just saw the first photo travelinbeat posted and thought "well, that would answer my question right there." but i'll do as you suggest and create a new topic. i have learned an amazing amount of info from this site already and really appreciate the willingness of so many experts to share their considerable knowledge. thanks for the kick in the ass.

Litmus,

Well, you haven't done or said anything wrong and do not deserve , in your words, "a kick in the ass" IMHO.
You're a newcomer, I think the veterans around here could show a little bit of patience and understanding. All TS threads shows one or more questions that could be considered off-topic, but make interesting points that could add to the original discussion. Plus, you sound like a gentle and polite person and deserve to be treated likewise.
Welcome to TS  ;)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:48:35 PM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »
Bravo Dede2002! I agree 100%.

Whoops, I guess this is a pointless off topic reply.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »
Bravo Dede2002! I agree 100%.

Whoops, I guess this is a pointless off topic reply.

;D ;D ;D

Roving Sign

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »

Litmus,

Well, you haven't done or said anything wrong and do not deserve , in your words, "a kick in the ass" IMHO.
You're a newcomer, I think the veterans around here could show a little bit of patience and understanding. All TS threads shows one or more questions that could be considered off-topic, but make interesting points that could add to the original discussion. Plus, you sound like a gentle and polite person and deserve to be treated likewise.
Welcome to TS  ;)

I said "Dude"! - not like called them douchenozzle or something...lighten up... ;)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
Roving sign-I'm pretty sure I speak for Dede2002, as well as myself, that it wasn't the "Dude" we objected to-it was the insulting tone of your comments toward him.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
Roving sign-I'm pretty sure I speak for Dede2002, as well as myself, that it wasn't the "Dude" we objected to-it was the insulting tone of your comments toward him.

Everything Fmaderjr said  ;).

But let's lighten up all right.  :coolguy:

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:03:51 PM »

The stand in the photo's is a Amvona Dynatran lighting stand (Model: AS-806A).  It extends to be just about ten feet tall.  The hardware on top can all be found at this website.  The items I have on the are: "Swivel T-bar," and "Stand fitting w/ 3/8>5/8 adapter".  Many people around here use "Bogen" brand stands.  If you're casually looking for one, just wait and keep an eye on the yardsale section, they pop up pretty often.

[/HIJACK]

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:33 PM »

The stand in the photo's is a Amvona Dynatran lighting stand (Model: AS-806A).  It extends to be just about ten feet tall.  The hardware on top can all be found at this website.  The items I have on the are: "Swivel T-bar," and "Stand fitting w/ 3/8>5/8 adapter".  Many people around here use "Bogen" brand stands.  If you're casually looking for one, just wait and keep an eye on the yardsale section, they pop up pretty often.

[/HIJACK]

:D  sorry about the inadvertent hijack. thanks for the info. i just got a dynatran AS-303 for about $35 inc. shipping on ebay. will check out micsupply.com for the top bits.

and thanks to all for the welcoming comments and infinite patience. long-time taper, first time caller. i think i've not hit five posts so future inquiries of a PM nature will be handled that way. thread officially relinquished back to its rightful owner.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com