Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so i finally got my JB3 and now i want opinions....  (Read 10076 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:so i finally got my JB3 and now i want opinions....
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2004, 04:13:01 AM »
AND dont be afraid to go mics>battbox>jb3.  It might not sound as pristine as you would like, but on a budget  there's only soo much one can do.
Exactly...go ahead with the Giant Squids....either the omni or card (I can't imagine there is that much difference in those small mics).

There certainly is a difference... but I don't think obeythekitten really knows what he/she wants. Just because mics are "stealthy" doesn't mean that all stealthy mics have the same sound.
Buy the omnis with bass roll.

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2004, 12:12:38 PM »
another vote for the GS omnis.  Giant Squid and Core sound both use panasonic capsules.  The more expensive CSBs are Linkwitz modified - more linear, sound better BUT it also drops the sensitivity and I would NOT recommend their use with a JB3.

The low end CSBs or Squids are unmodified panasonic capsules - don't sound quite as good have have a higher output level and you NEED that for the JB3 if you don't have a preamp.  Do not use mic-in because it severely rolls off the high frequencies.  Run line-in and use the 12dB of gain available to bring your levels up.

Haven't heard the squid cardiods but the core sound cards are nasty sounding.  And chances are, they're the same panasonic capsules again.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline obeythekitten

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2004, 04:17:14 AM »
There certainly is a difference... but I don't think obeythekitten really knows what he/she wants. Just because mics are "stealthy" doesn't mean that all stealthy mics have the same sound.
Buy the omnis with bass roll.

this is correct. i honestly don't know what i need or want, just something so that i can get my feet wet to see if taping is something i really enjoy before i go investing a shitload of money into it.

i purchased the squid omnis with bass roll off and they were shipped monday, i hope to attempt to tape my first show next wednesday (umphrey's mcgee @ the paradise in boston, ma)

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »

i purchased the squid omnis with bass roll off and they were shipped monday, i hope to attempt to tape my first show next wednesday (umphrey's mcgee @ the paradise in boston, ma)

Good deal...have fun with the new mics ;D

+T for new toys

Umphrees puts on a good show, enjoy the tapes!!!
Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

BobW

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2004, 07:27:07 AM »
I read this thread before my first cup of coffee, so this may be a repeat:

Omnis on a stand = Monophonic Recording
Omnis need wide separation (a few feet or more) for Stereo
Or one of Moke's Jecklin Disker things, or a head between them.

Not that Mono is inherently bad, it's just not Stereo.
I'll take a full, well-balanced Mono over a thin or phasey Stereo recording anytime.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 07:35:07 AM by BobW »

Offline recordista

• Taperssection Newbie
  • WTF?
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2004, 09:51:35 PM »
the mic-in analog stage of the JB3

There is no mic-in analog stage on an NJB3.  It's a fair-to-middlin' line input which requires about 0 dBu to hit FS.  Doesn't quite match to either consumer or pro gear but if you feed it the right signal level, it's not all that bad--especially when you consider the $180 (refurb) price of the box.   regularly use one for conference recording (frontended by a Sound Devices 302.)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2004, 01:13:43 AM »
I take back what I said in this thread prviously.  You do what you can within your budget and if GSO > JB3 is the budget, then so be it.  If you feel taping is for you and you save up for better gear, more power to you.  We'll be here to answer those questions, too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com