Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So I've got a pair of AT4051's  (Read 7511 times)

Offline bluelawn

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • tape with what you got
Re: So I've got a pair of AT4051's
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
personally i think the 4041's are very similar in sound to the 4051's
while not 4051's, heres my only 4041 > Littlebox > M10 source so far

http://www.archive.org/details/willyp2010-04-20.at4041.flac16

i also ran a P-mod UA-5 behind the AT 4041s for years, tons of tapes on the archive.

Is that right? I have heard a lot of positive things of the 51s but they are that similar to the 41s? I know everyone thinks hears different and all but there don't seem to be that many LMA recordings of 51s on the archive...well actually there are about 130 with the at4051s so I guess I have some listening to do.

i've never been able to run a proper comp.
however, i taped (w/ my 4041's) a yonder show a few years back that someone else taped with 4051's from the same TS,
tapes sounded very close IMHO even with different stands, pre-amps & configs.
but thats a PA source, closely micing a guitar with both might make me change my mind.
Milab VM-44 Links > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10
Audio-Technica 4041s > Sound Devices MixPre > Tascam DR-05

http://phishhook.com/lists/bluelawn

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nochajski&sort=-date

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »
personally i think the 4041's are very similar in sound to the 4051's
while not 4051's, heres my only 4041 > Littlebox > M10 source so far

http://www.archive.org/details/willyp2010-04-20.at4041.flac16

i also ran a P-mod UA-5 behind the AT 4041s for years, tons of tapes on the archive.

Is that right? I have heard a lot of positive things of the 51s but they are that similar to the 41s? I know everyone thinks hears different and all but there don't seem to be that many LMA recordings of 51s on the archive...well actually there are about 130 with the at4051s so I guess I have some listening to do.

I've never heard any comps, but I used to own the AT4041's and the recordings I've heard of the 4051's seemed like a similar sound to me.  The AT4041's are fixed cards while the AT4051's have removable capsules.  I don't know if they are the same as the Neumann km184 fixed cards vs km140 removable caps line where they are meant to sound identical, but it makes sense that small diaphragm mics in the same line from the same mfg would sound similar.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline BrotherRah

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 07:22:19 PM »
Any suggestions on a case for these mics?

I'd like something not too bulky. The Pelican cases look sturdy but a little bulkier than I hoped for. I may just have to get a Pelican anyway...anyone familiar with the model that will fit these?

Thanks if you can help.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 10:53:28 PM »

I'd like something not too bulky. The Pelican cases look sturdy but a little bulkier than I hoped for. I may just have to get a Pelican anyway...anyone familiar with the model that will fit these?

Thanks if you can help.

the case I use with anti-static foam is the pelican 1060.
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1060

They call it micro but its quite large.

You may also consider some kind of rubbermade tupperware container since it will probably be less bulky and lighter. a plus is that it will keep the freshness in ;)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »

For low bulk, low weight, and low cost SDC case I've used pencil cases like you can buy from Staples or Office Depot.  Just line the case with that white closed-cell packing foam stuff to keep the mics from rattling around and your good to go.  Those pencil cases are no where near as strong or waterproof as a Pelican, but if you are going to keep the mic case in a bag anyway they work fine.

I do have a couple Pelicans that I use for shipping mics.  The smaller Pelicans will fit into a small USPS Priority Mail fixed-rate box.  It makes for a package sturdy enough to survive even the USPS.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
I carry my 4041's around in a cigar caddy

http://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Caddy-3140-2-Cigars/dp/B0007VU67O

search the forum here there was a coupon awhile back that took like 5 or 10 off your first order. that is where i got mine from (i bought the 4 cigar case and also carry my cad e70's in there as well)..

take care
neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
I've done a good bit of research on this. If you search the LMA for 'AT 4051 chris clark', you will find a lot of examples...he's run them in to a bevy of different preamps...V2, V3, MP-2, Mini Me...maybe more but those are just the ones that I've found by him. I like the Sound Devices MP-2 the best with those mics. There are tons of examples on there by other tapers as well...PS2 > AD20, MV-100, Aerco MP-2, Mini MP...

After actually running these mics into my MP-2 for a few shows and listening to a ton more examples on the LMA I think I'd like to amend my opinion. My completely unscientific and incomplete rankings for the best match with 4051's goes like this:

1. PSP2 or PSP3
2. V2 or V3
3a. SD MP2
3b. Mini MP or MiniMe

I'm still undecided on where to put the Aerco MP-2 and Beyer MV100 on my list...need to hear more. I've not heard any 4051 > Littlebox examples so I can't comment there. And I've never like the UA-5 sound at all so that is not considered. In addition to the Littlebox I'd really like to hear these mics run with the Audient Mico and Sonosax and direct in to the R44 and DR-680....so whoever wants to lend me all of these things just gimme a shout! (j/k...sorta...)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com