Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Trees Affecting Sound?  (Read 6579 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Mic Trees Affecting Sound?
« on: August 26, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »
Does anyone else wonder if/how much sound is affected with
a ton of mics on top of one another?
To me it seems like the pick-up pattern would change like baffling.
Here's a pic that got me thinking.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136702.0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:23:18 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline disco

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • learning as I go
Re: Mic Trees Affecting Sound?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
Does anyone else wonder if/how much sound is affected with
a ton of mics on top of one another?
To me it seems like the pick-up pattern would change like baffling.
Here's a pic that got me thinking.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136702.0

were you thinking that they needed to add a few more to that tree?
I can't imagine it doesn't make a difference, it'd be interesting to compare sources for that tree relative to something on a solo stand (if there was one)
CA-14 (c,o)->9100, Littlebox->M10 or DR-07

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
Does it make a difference? Sure. Does it make a large difference? That's the real question to me. If using a hat makes a sonic difference, then I'd expect a hard mic between my cap and the stack would as well. Reflections less so in my mind, but we have a venue where the left wall tapers inward more and faster and that side seems to reflect bass better then the right side which is out in the open (or at least only one reflection point). I suspect the mics reflect sound, but I'm not sure it's the biggest factor.

I remember standing behind that sucker and wondering if my ears weren't playing tricks on me with the difference of the left (unobstructed) and right (obstructed) stacks and the >7khz range.

Ironically, tests at home could be done to get an idea, not necessarily conclusive, but an idea.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
I'd bet that an A vs. B recording of same two rigs sitting side-by-side, one on a cluttered mic tree, the other by itself, would sound identical out in the audience of a Phish show.  Put the same mics in a studio where every element of the sound is perfectly controlled, perhaps then you might be able to hear some effects of nearby reflective surfaces.  I'm not saying this is how it is, I'm just saying that's how I'd bet it is.

runonce

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »
Im VERY particular about having some space around my mics. I want them to be at least a foot from anything.

I think those mic tress are nuts!

How could it NOT affect the sound?

But you'll have plenty of dudes saying "nah...my pull from Alpine smokes brah!"

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
Interesting, I was just thinking about this last night as I was trying to figure out how to get a bunch of mics clustered together so I can do a hypercard comp tonight (Gefell m210 vs JWilliams modded AKG 460/ck63 vs Charter Oak m900 hypers).

For loud, PA driven material, I'm guessing that a tree like the one pictured wouldn't have too great an effect on the sound.  I'd guess that potential reflections would be more of an issue than a shadowing effect, but given the decibel level at a show, I wouldn't think this would amount to much.  On the shadowing, it would be frequency dependent, but for small diaphragm mics with at least a bit of spacing, I'm guessing that wouldn't really have much if any of an effect on frequencies below 10k or 12k hz.

Spending a bit of time reading, understanding, and applying some of the sound information provided in the Jecklin disk literature should help provide some of the theoretical understanding of the issue at hand.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »
How could it NOT affect the sound?

But you'll have plenty of dudes saying "nah...my pull from Alpine smokes brah!"

Those arn't mutually exclusive statements.

I'd bet that an A vs. B recording of same two rigs sitting side-by-side, one on a cluttered mic tree, the other by itself, would sound identical out in the audience of a Phish show.  Put the same mics in a studio where every element of the sound is perfectly controlled, perhaps then you might be able to hear some effects of nearby reflective surfaces.  I'm not saying this is how it is, I'm just saying that's how I'd bet it is.

Likely. I think the most potential for audible differences comes in having stuff front to back and blocking. If everything is on the same plane and can easily see the stacks, I think (read; hoping) that the reflection aspect is negligable.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
Interesting, like I said, I expect it is all negligible, but thought reflections would have been more of an issue.

Jecklin disks are 12+ inches in diameter, with mics very close to the surface, and are constructed to be sound-absorbing.  Even then, with the disk directly in the sound path (seen from the mic on the opposite side), the disk has no effect on frequencies below 200hz, they just go right around the barricade as if it isn't there. 

So a sound with a wavelength of 65 inches just moves around a 12" sound absorbing barrier as if it wasn't there. With that in mind, consider then the case for a mic tree with a bunch of SD mics: mics that are only 0.75" in diameter, potentially blocking another mic farther back, and even then being probably at least 2 or 3" away from the mic that it is blocking.  What frequencies and what wavelengths then become a problem?  In such a case, I'm thinking that any sound with a wavelength of more than 1.5" (twice the length of the diameter of the blocking mic) won't have an issue -- meaning sounds with frequencies below 8kHz wouldn't be an issue.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »
It can be a problem, but it doesn't have to be, at least not noticibly.  Vertical stacking with a clear shot forward should be fine obviously (who cares if the ceiling and floor reflections are reduced).  Most of the mics in that tree have a clear shot.  That one stereo mic in the back is probably effected, and maybe the right channel of that one pair of actives on the Left... which is pointing at the back of shure and DPA windscreens.

Rather than refer to that tree, I will refer to the Stone Church where I have first hand experience.  For those who haven't been there, there is an overhead I-beam DFC/FOB about 6" wide.  There must be pictures here somewhere... Prime real estate is just in front of a wooden post about 12' from stage.  If there are 2 tapers, usually one guy clamps to the left side of the beam and one guy clamps to the right.  If they both run DIN, there are 2 mics almost touching in the middle.  If one is pointing right into the other from 2 inches away, it definitely tends to mess with the sound, you can hear unbalance in a tape.  So if it looks "obviously bad" then it is.  If you move one forward a few inches, or a foot, then they aren't quite as close, and the sound tends to go "around" the other mic just fine, or at least I can't hear it, and we've had some pretty crowded setups right there.  I mean... when was the last time Ted only ran 1 pair of mics?
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
Rather than refer to that tree, I will refer to the Stone Church where I have first hand experience.  For those who haven't been there, there is an overhead I-beam DFC/FOB about 6" wide.  There must be pictures here somewhere... Prime real estate is just in front of a wooden post about 12' from stage.  If there are 2 tapers, usually one guy clamps to the left side of the beam and one guy clamps to the right.  If they both run DIN, there are 2 mics almost touching in the middle.  If one is pointing right into the other from 2 inches away, it definitely tends to mess with the sound, you can hear unbalance in a tape.
I was also thinking about the Stone Church Packed taper house too joe.
I've seen it happen there a # of times.

I mean... when was the last time Ted only ran 1 pair of mics?
This!
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »
meaning sounds with frequencies below 8kHz wouldn't be an issue.

While completely anecdotal on my part, I agree with this.

I mean... when was the last time Ted only ran 1 pair of mics?

This!

Come on!! Don't hate on your local authorized AKG dealer, he's gotta take pictures for his seasonal catalog somehow...  :P

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
Most of the mics in that tree have a clear shot.  That one stereo mic in the back is probably effected,

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=536292

Listen for yourself....

Neumann gear slut

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
Most of the mics in that tree have a clear shot.  That one stereo mic in the back is probably effected,

Listen for yourself....

just grabbed this, sounds great too me..

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:26:20 PM »

Listen for yourself....

I was back of the tree for 7/2 and couldn't have been happier with my section tapes

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=536447

Really, I just don't see it making a difference. I know sonically along the lines somewhere it might. However, the guy who is running his mics inches in front of mine is running an entirely different rig, so of course it will sound different. I just don't  see how much can be lost, especially in a concert with high SPLs.  :-\
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:54:35 AM »
High SPLs help.  I would imagine that the closer the obstruction is to the mic element, the worse the effect.  When I record a standing audience type concert and there's a lot of people there, there's a noticeable difference on the audio when I raise the camcorder up over peoples heads.  Fortunately my mics have a good 3' clearance above heads on the audio rig.  From what I've read on boundary type mics which would involve the reflections in question, you get a bit of a comb filtering effect if the mic element isn't flush with the reflective surface.  Not that the result would be that audible, but if you look at the spectrogram it'll look less like a rolling hill and more like a saw blade.  And if you have a directional mic (or two) an obstruction, any obstruction, can be significant.  Less of an issue with vertically stacked mics since most of our (desired) audio sources are coming from a horizontal plane.  Well more horizontal than vertical in most cases.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.315 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com