Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Beginner...  (Read 3748 times)

Offline ramramrs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Taping Beginner...
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
I have just started to dabble in taping, my first two shows were recorded openly with an Olympus WS 400s. These two shows were by minor performers, an Eagles tribute band and a friend's garage band. Since then I have taken an interest in taping, and I think I am ready to "go to the next level", stealthing some some of my favorite larger name bands.

I have recently run into a lot of money and I've decided to start pursuing my taping interest, and make it into a hobby. My aim is to buy a Sony PCM M10 and start taping somewhat regularly.

My main question is that, when I finally buy the M10, should I also invest in a battery box, preamp, or microphone right away? Or should I stick to the internal mics while I'm still a beginner? Or even stick to my Olympus?

Thanks in advance.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:53:58 PM by ramramrs »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taping Beginner...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
invest right away in something
the internal mics are not going to do you much good
you can get some mics and a bb/pre for not much money and the results will be 100x better in most cases
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »
You don't necessarily need to buy something new. We have a yard sale section where you can find all kinds of gear for less than the price of new.

Here's a really nice recorder: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145008.0
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »

you can get some mics and a bb/pre for not much money and the results will be 100x better in most cases

QFT
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »

QFT
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
I have just started to dabble in taping, my first two shows were recorded openly with an Olympus WS 400s. These two shows were by minor performers, an Eagles tribute band and a friend's garage band. Since then I have taken an interest in taping, and I think I am ready to "go to the next level", stealthing some some of my favorite larger name bands.

I have recently run into a lot of money and I've decided to start pursuing my taping interest, and make it into a hobby. My aim is to buy a Sony PCM M10 and start taping somewhat regularly.

My main question is that, when I finally buy the M10, should I also invest in a battery box, preamp, or microphone right away? Or should I stick to the internal mics while I'm still a beginner? Or even stick to my Olympus?

I've been "dabbling" in taping for nearly 20 years now so, even though I don't have a $3000 set of mics, I think I can add some food for thought. :)

You don't need to spend a lot on mics/pre-amp/battery box to get decent pulls.  I've owned everything from Core Sound Binaurals, Giant Squid Audio Labs, Sound Professionals CMC-8 (Audio Technica 933/C), and most recently Church Audio CA-14/o and /c.

Seeing that you'll be in environments where it'll generally be loud enough, you could probably get away with a battery box and a "decent" mic.  I've always like Cardioid mics over Omni's as they can deflect a bit of the chatty cathys around you.  The CA-14's aren't that big but the CA-11's might be a better bet for you if you're stealthing (I use the CA-14's for most shows although if it's really tight, I use my CAFS-Omnis).

I would PM Chris and see what his cost for the CA-UBB and CA-11 II cardoids would run.   I haven't heard anything recorded with them yet, however, he is saying they have a better high end which is one of the reasons I got the CA-14's.   Any way you slice it, you'll likely be dropping around $150 or so which isn't bad for what you'll be getting.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:43:04 PM »

I've been "dabbling" in taping for nearly 20 years now so, even though I don't have a $3000 set of mics, I think I can add some food for thought. :)

You don't need to spend a lot on mics/pre-amp/battery box to get decent pulls.  I've owned everything from Core Sound Binaurals, Giant Squid Audio Labs, Sound Professionals CMC-8 (Audio Technica 933/C), and most recently Church Audio CA-14/o and /c.

Seeing that you'll be in environments where it'll generally be loud enough, you could probably get away with a battery box and a "decent" mic.  I've always like Cardioid mics over Omni's as they can deflect a bit of the chatty cathys around you.  The CA-14's aren't that big but the CA-11's might be a better bet for you if you're stealthing (I use the CA-14's for most shows although if it's really tight, I use my CAFS-Omnis).

I would PM Chris and see what his cost for the CA-UBB and CA-11 II cardoids would run.   I haven't heard anything recorded with them yet, however, he is saying they have a better high end which is one of the reasons I got the CA-14's.   Any way you slice it, you'll likely be dropping around $150 or so which isn't bad for what you'll be getting.

This is great advice for a beginner :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
Interesting.. of negatives of the CA-11, the last thing I would have thought of is "lack of high end". 

But at any rate, the CA-14/CA-11 route seems appropriate for someone at the OP's stage. IMHO the -14s are immeasurably better sounding mics than the -11s, at least when you are talking about the cardiod versions.  It is apparently very hard to make a decent, small cardiod mic, whether you're Chris Church or DPA  ;)

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline ramramrs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:08 AM »
Also, another question, if you guys would be kind enough to answer...

Total noob question, but if I have a single mic into a recorder recording in "stereo", will the final recording still be stereo even though I am only using one mic? Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
Only if it's a "single point stereo" mic. These have two capsules, which might be arranged in X/Y fashion (like the Rode NT4), or in Mid/Side configuration (like the Shure VP88). The recorder needs to record both channels to get stereo.

Furthermore, if the mic is Mid/Side and isn't using a built-in matrix (or a recorder's built-in matrix if it has one), you'll need to decode the Mid/Side signal to Left/Right during postprocessing in your audio editor.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:08:33 PM »
rjp is correct but the nice thing about the VP88 is the ability to adjust the width before recording.

I think you will get father with two mono mics and record in stereo rather than one single point stereo mic but later on you can look at single point stero mics. ;)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:46:03 PM »

QFT

X3

As others said look into the Church-Audio series....
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com