Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice on upgrading from Core Sound Stealth Cardioids  (Read 7812 times)

Offline smat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I have been mostly happy with my CSC's.  A little tinny at the top end and not enough bass, but all things considered I have made some amazing tapes in my 10 yrs running em.
I'm looking for a stealth mic that is similar but with more bass and less sharp top end.  Most mics I hear seem to sound a little more bassy than I like.
My first inclination was to try and boost the presence somehow, but couldnt figure out how to do that, so I'm looking at trying another mic.
Most of the shows I tape are small to medium venue psychedelic/prog, jazz/fusion, jamband stuff.....some mellower acoustic-y type shows as well.
Should I stick with cards or go omni?
My budget is around $200.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Need advice on upgrading from Core Sound Stealth Cardioids
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
It would be nice to know the rest of your rig...but...the direction I would head...

Look for some AT853's on eBay or the Yard...standard cap will be the Card...you'll most likely have to get them re-terminated...But if you are patient on eBay I've bought 3 and never paid more than $60 for one...even got lucky and paid $40 once

Save up some more cash...or sell the CSC's and get a set of SubCard's or Omni caps for them...

Once you have moved on to better equipment...since you re-terminated them and have a full rig now that accepts XLR's they will become your Rain microphones...or onstage microphones for the SNB matrix or Mix with the Stereo Audience microphones...here is a sample of just Stage Lip 853 Omni's

http://archive.org/download/bs2011-11-10.FLAC16/Bs111110_casbah_02_dubSynth-inTheMiddle.mp3

At least that is how it worked out for me moving up from my old NAK CM100's...enjoy

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »
My rig is CSC's>CA Ugly>Edirol R09HR.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »
DPA 4081 > MMA6000

Jeff

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »
The CA Ugly will drive the AT's fine...I use a CA 9100 and have kept the termination to Mini XLR's on both for three wire and compatibility with the AT8533x power unit...I'm not sure how the Ugly is wired and how it affects the ability to use the Stock AT XLR in line power unit down the road...

here is one...a bit more than I paid...

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1233627

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »
Assuming you want a stealth rig, I agree with the suggestion of AT853s.  Versatile system and good quality. Just be sure they have the "4.7k" mod or "low sensitivity" mod or the louder shows will be distorted.

There's also the Church Audio CA-14.  I have to assume you're already aware of those.  You can get cardiods + omnis for less than $200.

I'm glad you like the CSCs, but I ran them myself back in the 90s and I have to say, you'll be blown away by how much better small cardiod mics can sound now.

The AT831s would also be an option.  They don't have a ton of low end but have a much cleaner and less gritty/peaked top end than the CSCs.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
The CA Ugly will drive the AT's fine.

Your CA-UGLY will also work well with the Chuch or the DPA mics. It's simply a matter of correct mic re-termination or using adapters to fit the UGLY's 3.5mm stereo jacks.

In an overly simplistic generalization- to my ear, the CA-14 will provide more bass than what you are getting now, the DPAs Jeff suggested are more costly but have a clarity unmatched by the others (but may lack bass).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:25:46 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
CA-11 w/card and omni caps.  Hugely underrated when compared with the CA-14.  More versatile for stealthing, too, with their removable windscreens.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
CA-11 w/card and omni caps.  Hugely underrated when compared with the CA-14.  More versatile for stealthing, too, with their removable windscreens.
Not sure what 'w/card and omni caps' means.  I thought they were either/or?

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »
Not sure what 'w/card and omni caps' means.  I thought they were either/or?

If you order the CA-11 cards, you can order a set of interchangeable omni caps for an extra $50.  Two sets of mics in one.  See the Church 2012 price list in the Retail section.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
More general question:
Cards or Hyper Cards?  Difference?

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »
My AT853 Hypers sound fine...that said...the Omni's sound so good they practically never come off my set of bodies...unless I'm running a pattern to stay under the umbrella

IIRC microphones with this small of a capsule...Hyper or Shotgun patterns are near impossible to create...or not worth the effort...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
More general question:
Cards or Hyper Cards?  Difference?

Agree w/ Hypnocracy. Hypers are fine on HQ, larger mics, and the greater side rejection is beneficial when recording boomy rooms.  I owned AT 853 hypers and I didn't find myself reaching for them too much.  The cards, subcards and omnis all are much, much, much better IMHO
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline smat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »
I'm kinda thinkin SP-CMC-8 cards (looks like I can have omni caps too for $119 more, but that brings the price up considerably) or CA-11 and get card and omni caps.
The SP website kills me with all their options!  Is there a consensus on which  SP stealth mics to go with?  I'm thinkin cards is where I probably wanna stay but I cant ignore the fact that a lot of people seem to really like omnis.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
As much as I love my Omni caps for the AT853's...there are as many folks whom like the Sub Cards...look in the Retail section for New Old Stock Sub Cards before you pay $119 for a set of Omni's...I think you will save close to  $50

LINK

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=146630.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com