Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superclamp owners - will this work?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Superclamp owners - will this work?
« on: October 05, 2013, 11:17:13 PM »
I'm thinking of picking up a Superclamp to use for a clamp-pole mount, but not in the traditional way.  I own a cheap 67" Dolica monopod, and my plan is to screw the monopod's 1/4" stud into the middle threaded hole on the top of the Superclamp.  I would then mount the whole thing so that the monopod is now upside down, with the foot pointing up like it's an extension pole.  I have a lightweight clamp with a swivel 1/4" mount that I will clamp to the foot end of the monopod that will hold my mics.  If I do things this way, I would only have to buy the clamp and the whole thing would fit in my bag (unlike an extension pole).  So my questions are:

1. Can anyone confirm the sizes of those three threaded holes on the top of the clamp?  I have read elsewhere that the center hole is 1/4-20 (as opposed to the two flanking it which supposedly are metric thread). 
2. What is the thread of the set screw that holds the removeable stud?  I'm envisioning situations where I would have that side facing up (like clamped onto a chair back) and attaching to that hole when the stud is not needed. 
3. Does this idea make sense?  I looked all over here and other other places and couldn't find anyone using a superclamp with a monopod in this way.  I'm not sure if that should tell me something...

Thanks!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Superclamp owners - will this work?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
I'm holding a Superclamp in front of me so that the big handle that tightens the jaw and the t-handle that tightens down on the 5/8" stud are closest to me, and the chrome spring-loaded button is to the right. So basically, if you inserted a 5/8" stud it would point vertically/upward.

Take a look at the 6 holes on the surface. The one closest to you is obviously for the 5/8" stud. Think of the other 5 as all four plates on a baseball diamond. The center one being the pitcher mound, of course.

The t-handle that tightens down on the 5/8" stud is 1/4"-20 thread. The pitcher mound is also 1/4"-20 thread. Home plate and 2nd base- I'm unsure of thread count. Could be metric.

Regarding your question about mounting the 1/4"-20 male of your monopod- it will work, yes. But I sure as hell wouldn't do it. Taking leverage/mechanical advantage in to account, I'd be scared to death some spunion would grab/bump the pole and either bend or shear off that tiny 1/4" connector.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:41:24 AM »
Regarding your question about mounting the 1/4"-20 male of your monopod- it will work, yes. But I sure as hell wouldn't do it. Taking leverage/mechanical advantage in to account, I'd be scared to death some spunion would grab/bump the pole and either bend or shear off that tiny 1/4" connector.

Unless I messed up with the description, I agree. I don't have much faith in the 1/4" connector for any serious force retention.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
Tim and Page,

Thanks for the info and advice.  My situation where I'd be using this wouldn't be concerned with someone bumping my setup, but rather with potential windy days.  Either way, I never thought of the 1/4 connector as being such a weak point.  My original plan for this was to get the superclamp with the short double-sided stud, then mount a double-female connector to that and screw the monopod into that.  Then I thought by screwing the monopod into the tapped hole on the clamp's surface instead that the top "plate" of the monopod would better distribute the force, but now that I think about it that won't matter - it's still that tiny 1/4 piece I'm relying on.  I think I'll go in another direction.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:40:18 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com