Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Actives Comp (Vintage ck1x / NBob AKG Couplers / Naiant AKG Couplers)  (Read 3509 times)

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Dub Apocalypse
Chianti Jazz Lounge
Beverly, MA
2014-03-03

Location: Stage Lip on the same mic stand all DIN (Just like the picture below)

Song: Champion

Band:
Tommy Benedetti - Drums
Johnny Trama - Guitar
Jeffery Lockhart - Guitar
Timo Shanko _ Bass
Brian Thomas - Trombone
Brandon Mayes - Percussion

Sources:
Track 1: AKG ck1x > Custom GAKable > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-680
Track 2: AKG ck61 > NBob AKG Couplers > Custom GAKable > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-680
Track 3: AKG ck61 > Naiant AKG Couplers > Custom GAKable > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-680
Track 4: All Three sources switching every 20 seconds through the whole song
  01-20: AKG ck1x > Custom mk46 GAKable > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-680
  21-40: AKG ck61 > NBob AKG Couplers > Custom GAKable > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-680
  41-60: AKG ck61 > Naiant AKG Couplers > Custom GAKable > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-680

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q4uy5fp00h6mu67/ATvNghdQsY
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:02:39 AM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
Did you run this same set up for the comp?  Not to get into the whole, "they're not in the same spot, this comp is worthless!" debate (I really don't care) but I'd be curious if the setup effects the differences, especially between the 'front' pair and the 'back.' (the two I listened to most critically seeing as I sold a similar CK 1X set up to fund the Naiant CK 61 setup.)

The CK 1X seems to have a fuller low end to me.  Also a slightly narrower stereo sound?  Seems slightly more dull?  Less clear?  Not necessarily in a bad way.  I guess 'warm' might be the correct accepted descriptive word.  Though not a huge difference by any means.  I feel like you can hear that 'AKG sizzle' more clearly in the cymbal crashes on the 61 source.  Which I found a bit surprising as when I had the CK 1Xs I always thought they were very bright, even with the bass heavy headphones I use.  Which to be fair though I like.

What's the deal with the custom MK 46 cable?  Is that different from the CK 1X > Lemo > Naiant PFA cable you've made a few people?

The Nbob vs. the Naiant seem to have an ever so slightly different sound but I'm not nearly trained enough or have high enough quality playback to describe it.  Nothing that for recording amplified music at distance (even stage lip) would make any reasonable difference (IMO).

I'm just running macbook > Beyer DT 770.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Did you run this same set up for the comp?  Not to get into the whole, "they're not in the same spot, this comp is worthless!" debate (I really don't care) but I'd be curious if the setup effects the differences, especially between the 'front' pair and the 'back.' (the two I listened to most critically seeing as I sold a similar CK 1X set up to fund the Naiant CK 61 setup.)

This comp was set up exactly like the picture I provided.

What's the deal with the custom MK 46 cable?  Is that different from the CK 1X > Lemo > Naiant PFA cable you've made a few people?

I took out the mk46 wording since there is no body side coupler/collette.  It is the CK 1X > Lemo > Naiant PFA cable.

My feeling is that it goes warm to bright as listed with the Naiant being the brightest, the ck1x the warmest and the NBob in the middle.  There is not a huge amount of difference between the three.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:58:05 AM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com