Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Three mic sd and ld setup  (Read 2323 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
Three mic sd and ld setup
« on: December 22, 2004, 05:37:06 PM »
Just had this on my mind and was curious if anyone has ever done it. What I'm thinking of is this: running two sd cards and an ld omni together. Has anyone done this before. If so, how did it go. What configs did you use? What are pros and cons, etc.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: Three mic sd and ld setup
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 05:52:43 PM »
This configuration is another configuration I used. Typically I use this when I'm in a very small club and don't have the room to setup my 4 mic configuration. Instead I run two cards in ORTF (SR-77's), and then clamp on one omni mic just below those. The omni gets feed into both the left and right channel. The result can be stunning when mixed properly.

As long as you use cards (of some sort) and an omni, it doesn't matter if these are a mixture of small and large diaphram mics. What matters is getting the levels set properly, then mixing the proper amount of the omni mic into each channel.

There seems to be an interest in multi-microphone configurations and I would urge everybody considering it to try a few shows like this. When done right, you'll never want to go back to stereo mics again. However, and this is the big however, you will need a mixer. This can be either a 3 channel mixer or 4 channel, but you'll need a mixer. I've been using the Wendt X4 for a few years and while it's now for sale (now using a multi-channel hard drive recorder), it was the bread and butter of my rig. Shure makes a 3 & 4 channel mixer, Wendt makes a 2, 4, and 5 channel mixer, Sound Designs makes a 4 channel mixer, and there are loads of other companies making ENG mixers for field use. All of these run off batteries and most use very little power. These types of mixers are designed to be "beaten to death" as they are abused daily in the film and video industry.

Hope this helps.
Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 05:56:38 PM »
Thanks for the info....+T. What about using a ua-5?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »
Thanks for the info....+T. What about using a ua-5?

When you use more than 2 mics, you need more than 2 inputs. The UA-5 only allows 2 channel recording according to the specs.

Wayne

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 07:22:33 PM »
OK. I was just curious seeing as people do run matrix with ua-5's using the analog input in the back. I've never done it and I don't know anything about......just curious.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 07:55:13 PM »
I don't have the UA-5, so I'm not sure how they are doing it. I just read the specs and it clearly states that it only provides 2 channels for recording. I'm puzzled.

Wayne

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 02:08:24 AM »
Wayne,

On the UA-5 you can use both mic inputs and on front and the rca inputs on the back simultaneously.  The only drawback is that one would probably need a line transformer when going into the RCAs.  Also, one would need self-powered mics or be able to supply the mic(s) w/ power when using the RCA inputs.  Oh, also, the knob on the back of the UA-5 that controls the  RCA inputs doesn't allow you to adjust L/R levels.

I've been thinking of doing this for the next show I tape.  Use one TL (omni) in the middle and two Peluso's as the stereo pair.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 04:16:42 AM »
I've been thinking of doing this for the next show I tape.  Use one TL (omni) in the middle and two Peluso's as the stereo pair.

If you want to use my Wendt, just let me know. There isn't much on the musical road map right now from what I can tell...

Thanks for the info on the UA5. Just goes to show you can't always believe the specs. ;-)

Wayne

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com