Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic rec's that don't require external battery pack  (Read 2781 times)

Offline rvman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic rec's that don't require external battery pack
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »
Can you guys recommend a great stealth mic that can improve my recording quality without having to bring in extra battery packs or other crap?  I'm looking for these criteria

1- As stealth as possible
2- Easiest to operate (no external battery packs. etc required - you could use but don;t have to...)
3- Best sound - I realize not using #2 might harm this, but I just want good performance w/out alot of hassle getting them into shows & then fidgeting with levels during the gig

thx alot!

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: Mic rec's that don't require external battery pack
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:35:28 AM »
Or within the mic itself, like the AT822 or AT825, or the Sony ECM series (717, 719, MS-907, MS-957)...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »
thx guys - like the mic having power itself - I will check out those suggestions - any other ideas welcome as well -

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:58:31 PM »
thx guys - like the mic having power itself - I will check out those suggestions - any other ideas welcome as well -

The problem that you're going to run into is that any mic that you have to put a AA battery in is not going to be very stealthy.

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 03:03:21 PM »
Ah good pt - I guess I was thinking maybe one would take a watch type battery - maybe I'm dreaming, but I was hoping there'd be an easier middle ground where I could get a good signal without doing levels or messing witha battery pack.

thx

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 03:42:48 PM »
ok cool - what does dpa stand for?

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
DPA = Danish Pro Audio. Pricey stuff but well worth the investment.

But when it comes down to it, if you want a decent quality recording, the mics need to be powered well or else they'll overload - and powering them properly involves at *least* using a battery box rather than plugin power. Instead of skimping on mic powering though, if you've got the money, most stealth tapers are going to advise you work on your smuggling techniques rather than cutting down on the amount of gear you're carrying...

It's like the great production triangle of getting a job done - well, quickly and cheaply - you can pick two and only two. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 04:25:44 PM »
It's like the great production triangle of getting a job done - well, quickly and cheaply - you can pick two and only two. :)

I hear you - thx for the advice.

I assume I can find some advice on smuggling techniques here - my current system is so easy it's virtually foolproof, but that it with a crappy little mic.  The mic does have power, but it's a little watch type battery.

Offline daveydave

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 02:27:28 PM »
RVMAN,

I've got some stealthy Core Sound Low Cost Cardiods that you can find at www.core-sound.com.  They don't need an the battery box, and if you're like me, you must not like taking chances with extra equipment.  I've run this with 2 sony MD's (non-HI-MD).

Awesome results.  Feel free to let me know if you need a sample.

dave

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:30:53 PM »
depending on exactly how small the mics need to be. don't forget about the lowly dynamic mic ( even ribbon mics-but they present other issues), which do not require phantom power.
I own a pair of Beyer M201's that I have stealthed many a show with, but they are as big as AKG 48x's, so it's all in the smuggling technique as Greenone says.
That said, I believe there is a thread on here about some DIY Panasonic caps that some folks fashion in to recording devices.  I *think* they have a small (lightweight?) power source.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com