Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ok mg told me that if i could find a mic with less self noise and better spl..  (Read 5199 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Just so you know you aren't going to find a mic that beats those specs....for now anyway.........I know my mics and to find a mic that quiet is possible but to hit that high on an spl ..................it aint gonna happen ....yet......Right now the quitest mic on the planet that I know of is the Rode NT-1A it has a self noise spec of 5db  thats lower than the 7db of geffel but its SPL is only 137 not as high as the geffels 142..... some other contenders close but not close enough:
The blue Baby Bottle has a self noise of 5.5 but an SPL of 133
The Neumann TLM103 has a self noise 7 db with a SPL 138
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
ray, before i sunk the ching into buying something i never ran, id test them out first YMMV

bean, im not buyin those. im just testing them. The guy told me if i could beat the numbers hed give me a freebie. i am trying them out.

ray

Ray76

check out this album for an example of how those mics sound:

Album Name: A Meeting By the River
Musicians: Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt
Recording Label: Water Lily Acoustics - 1993

this is absolutely the shit!! custom, hand built rectangular capsule figure eights. Whether or not it's numbers beat the hallowed numbers of geffel, these mics will make anything put to the table by Geffel seem like my first sony, period.

they do look amazing. they have an amazing price too. the story behind them was very interesting.
Thanks for the info man.+T Ray

jnorman34

DPA 4041-S = 7dB(A) re: 20mPa, 144dB SPL
do i win the mics?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
do i win the mics?

Nope, b/c I already beat you with the RODE NT-2 on page 1  :)
Out of the game … for now?

Ray76

do i win the mics?

Nope, b/c I already beat you with the RODE NT-2 on page 1  :)

Still waitin to hear back from Dirk on the rode.
hes apparently going to do some tests with it. He tested one rode last week, but a different one. the nt-2 hes got yesterday I think and will let me know soon as he finishes. says a lot of the mic manufacturers fudge the numbers, but thats not surprising. theyve probably done it themselves.
thats commerce for ya.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
1) anytime you find a room with less than 10dBA acoustic noise in it, please tell me.

2) remember that to get down to 7dB you tweak a lot of things. I believe the tweaking does not make the sound better. So you get less noise, worse sound.

Who cares really? I mean most of my mics are around 20dBA and I have very little problem with noise.

G.

Ray76

1) anytime you find a room with less than 10dBA acoustic noise in it, please tell me.

2) remember that to get down to 7dB you tweak a lot of things. I believe the tweaking does not make the sound better. So you get less noise, worse sound.

Who cares really? I mean most of my mics are around 20dBA and I have very little problem with noise.

G.

I dont care particularly, but the thought of a new mg mic is appealing. thats why im looking for one that will beat it. im learning a lot in the process. its doin me good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com