Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4 vs core stealthy cardiod  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SP-CMC-4 vs core stealthy cardiod
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »
Hey Chris what kind of capsules are you using for you cards? That is, if you'd like to share.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »
Hey Chris what kind of capsules are you using for you cards? That is, if you'd like to share.

I think he considers this proprietary.  I would love to know too.  Not because I want to compete (his stuff is well made and inexpensive, so why bother), but so I might know more and perhaps experiment with some DIY experiments.  Anyway, this is his choice.

But he is sending me a pair, so I'll run a head-to-head comparison with my beloved AT853's soon.  Watch this space...

Oh yeah, if you want to get into bare capsules (!!!), go over to the Yahoo group "micbuilders".  There are even crazy guys over there building their own capsules with metal film.  Total geek zone!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 06:55:31 PM »
I use a capsule made in China its very good, I do some mods to it so its really not the same capsule when I am done with it. I do not use panasonic. I use something where the back housing is already machined for me. But that being said I do mod the back of the housing as well. I do not talk about what capsule I use, you only have to listen to recordings made by it to know that its good. For what I sell a pair of mics for there is nothing that comes close to the sound of these mics for $129.99 a pair with mogami cable and 3.5 mm Nuetik ends. I have a set in the loaner program now so you can get a chance to check them out.

Chris Church

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 06:08:23 PM »
But he is sending me a pair, so I'll run a head-to-head comparison with my beloved AT853's soon.  Watch this space...
That will be great, I've been thinking of picking up a set of cards to use in bad venues where my 4061s don't make the greatest tapes.  I've had 853s in the past, but would be open to something else.

Steve

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »
I am having a sale my cardioids sell for $129.99 a pair I am selling them this week only for $99 a pair.

Chris Church

That will be great, I've been thinking of picking up a set of cards to use in bad venues where my 4061s don't make the greatest tapes.  I've had 853s in the past, but would be open to something else.

Steve

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »
find those recordings made from mics like cscs...which over-emphasize the high end real
irritating..but as U said, to each his own.

No offence, but I find Core's cardioids are a total waste of $$$...
The recordings are very thin sounding... missing alot of the low end..

go for the 853s...they're mint.

To each it's own. However I do find the "lack "( for lack of the better word ) the true strength of the Core Sound card's. Recordings always come out very clear And most important they come out very "direct ". I have used other mic's in the same pricerange like the MM's (the $ 250 ones) and although they do sound more bass-low end I miss the clarity and directness of the CSCD. I know at least 2 other fellow tapers who use nothing but CSCD for any type of recording and they wouldn't like to change to any other type of mic ( and of my friends is tapetrader and he heard a lot of recordings with other mic's ) .

Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 01:28:19 PM »
Are you talking about my cardioid mics? or someone else?

find those recordings made from mics like cscs...which over-emphasize the high end real

To each it's own. However I do find the "lack "( for lack of the better word ) the true strength of the Core Sound card's. Recordings always come out very clear And most important they come out very "direct ". I have used other mic's in the same pricerange like the MM's (the $ 250 ones) and although they do sound more bass-low end I miss the clarity and directness of the CSCD. I know at least 2 other fellow tapers who use nothing but CSCD for any type of recording and they wouldn't like to change to any other type of mic ( and of my friends is tapetrader and he heard a lot of recordings with other mic's ) .

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »
U own core sound?   ;)

Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »
No Church Audio

U own core sound?   ;)

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 02:32:45 PM »
IMO, you will get better results with the AT853 vs. Core Sound. i think even the AT831s sound better than the Core Sound cardioids.
with the AT853s, you will get a warmer, fuller sound. with the Core Sounds, you will get a brighter, more brittle sound.

and also take a look at another user's comments on Core Sounds customer service. i've never read such a comment like that about Sound Professionals customer service).

lastly, i think a cheap pair ($75 or so) of used Core Sound mics are okay, if that's all a person can afford. but as the saying goes, you usually get what you pay for...

Im debating on getting one of these mics.  with battery module they both come to $250 so Im wondering if anyone here would prefer one over the other and why.  Or should I expect the same results from both? Is there another alternative at around the same price that would be better than both of these options?

here is the sound professional:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-CMC-4

here is the core:
http://www.core-sound.com/cardioid/1.php
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:37:08 PM by hyperplane »

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 06:43:14 PM »
I used to run the low cost core-sound cards, now Im running the at853

They pretty much own my old mics
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 07:08:52 PM »
I had the CS low cost cards and omni's.  My MM-SennheisersMKE40's are a huge improvement.  More cash though. 

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »
Reading back over some other comments, I see someone sai dthey had a very 'direct' sound.  I think this is true, and I did like that, but at the same time, the sound was kind of, I dunno, processed?  The AT853's arent as direct sounding but sound more natural

If I had a mic that had the directness of the core sound cards and the warmth of the at853, Id be quite happy
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline anechoic

• Taperssection Regular
  • composer, writer, sound designer
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »
also check out Reactive Sounds Auris stereo mic:
http://reactivesounds.com/am2.php
it uses two omni Panasonic omni caps
wonder if Chris @ Church Audio plans on offering stereo Omni's in the future?

'In the new world the characteristic unit will be
small, highly mobile, independent and intelligent.'
                                - Robert Fripp

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

I do make stereo omni mics :) already I have been making them for over 3 years now

Chris Church
Church Audio

Quote author=anechoic link=topic=63797.msg863199#msg863199 date=1147290236]
also check out Reactive Sounds Auris stereo mic:
http://reactivesounds.com/am2.php
it uses two omni Panasonic omni caps
wonder if Chris @ Church Audio plans on offering stereo Omni's in the future?

[/quote]

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.153 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com