Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S or Blumlein + SBD Matrix > Doable? Or, Are There Any Potential Drawbacks?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Can M/S or Blumlein be mixed with a SBD feed, or does that create any weird phasing/sound staging/drawbacks?  Seems like the concensus is that Blumlein rocks, but it seems it often suffers when in a chatty crowd.  I've been wondering about this and finding any info.  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Any type of matrixed recordings can have phasing issues.  Just record all the tracks individually and matrix later.  You can choose just how much you want to blend them together.  If it doesn't sound good, you still have 2 good recordings from that show!

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Actually, I would expect far fewer problems mixing a SBD + AUD where the AUD is M-S, Blumlein or X-Y. In all of these situations, the mics are truly coincident which gives excellent mono compatibility.  Near coincident arrangements like ORTF, NOS, DIN, Dina, or any other non-coincident setups like A-B or any random combination of spacing and angle will have limited mono compatibility.  In my experience, the former mix with a SBD much better and produce far fewer phase anomolies, and result in a better sounding mix.
YMMV.
- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Interesting info.  I need to get some mics cabable of M/S or Blumlein so I can play around with this.  I'm really intrigued.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Interesting info.  I need to get some mics cabable of M/S or Blumlein so I can play around with this.  I'm really intrigued.

Just get a stereo mic, Matt. AKG 422, 426, LSD2, etc... ;)

Jason is spot on.

Offline pilgrims622

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
I have had excellent results doing onstage m/s+sbd & doing onstage blumlein+sbd...I prefer those tapes to any other aud/sbd mix that I have done
Neumann km140
Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com