Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SuperClamp versus Quick Action SuperClamp?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
SuperClamp versus Quick Action SuperClamp?
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:16:34 AM »
Happy New Years to all.

So my New Years resolution is to experiment with running Blumlein.

I can set the A51TLs up vertical coincident with my tbar and a K&M sidebar but it's a hassle and the stability is pretty sketchy.  Shure bar is not suitable with the A51TL shockmounts and I would like to expand my general clamping capabilities anway so I'm leaning towards a pair of superclamps.

The question is would you go with the "standard" or the "quick action"?  Links to each below:

Standard Superclamp 2915

Quick Action Superclamp 635

TIA
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: SuperClamp versus Quick Action SuperClamp?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 11:02:54 AM »
The cheapest way to blumlein with LDs is to go the Windtech route....

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,5871.0.html
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:23:08 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. 

I'm more interested in the superclamps because I would like to have something more versatile.  The Windtechs will get me coincident no problem  but the jaw width is pretty limited to do much else with them.

Offline barren4

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • AKG c480b/ck61,62,63,c414b-uls,c426b>V3>SD 722

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:15:47 PM »
Still leaning towards the superclamps.  The price of one shure bar, which only does one thing, gets me two superclamps which do more than one thing.   :-\

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »
Not what you want to hear, I know, but...

I prefer the Windtech clamps for this kinda thing, too.  The price of the Shure A27M bar gets you two SC's, but the same price also gets you one SC + two Windtech's with greater flexibility and stability for stand-clamping, as well as maintaining the option to clamp onto biggish stuff like railings, tables, chair arms, etc..

I find the SuperClamps are too bulky and heavy for most stand purposes (especially considering I run a compact Bogen 3373), and are better for biggish stuff.  The Windtech's are nice and compact, so I'm able to easily carry 2-3 of them in the space a SuperClamp takes up.  (Of course, I also carry a SC, but not for stand-clamping.)

The Shure bar resulted in my mics jutting out pretty far from the stand's vertical axis.  (Like this.)  Perhaps this is what you mean by the "Shure bar is not suitable with the A51TL shockmounts"?

The SC, in its stock configuration, juts out even further and only allows clamping perpendicular to the stand's vertical axis, like the Shure bar.  The addition of a right-angle mini-extension arm will resolve that problem.  In fact, I recommend getting one of the mini-extension arms for flexibility clamping onto biggish stuff.  But if you go with two SC's, you'd need two in order to prevent the shocks from sticking out so far, and it's just more stuff to schlep around.

The Windtech clamps, on the other hand, will work better, with a smaller footprint, for a lower price and allow you to run the mic's as close to the stand's vertical axis as possible, which helps with stability:

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:22:39 PM »
i also use 2 windtechs when running xy/blumlein w/ the tl's and shockmounts.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:05:34 PM »
OK so maybe Windtechs are the way to go.  I'm a little worried about whether they will fit on my stand though.  The top riser is 1 inch diameter.  The specs on the Windtechs say it will fit a 1.25 inch tube.  Seems like cutting it pretty close...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »
OK so maybe Windtechs are the way to go.  I'm a little worried about whether they will fit on my stand though.  The top riser is 1 inch diameter.  The specs on the Windtechs say it will fit a 1.25 inch tube.  Seems like cutting it pretty close...

It'll be fine.  Mine open to > 1.5".  And when the plastic cap breaks or falls off the screw (it will), just use a screw-on plastic valve stem cover, like the kind for your car (thanks, Bean).
Roland R-05

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Will order a couple and give it a try.

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »
Clamps arrived today ...   :D +ts to everyone Thansk!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:03:35 PM by RobertNC »

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »
Just for the record, it is possible to do this with a single Superclamp with extension arm ("front" would be to the right in this pic, in case that's unclear).  I just run this on a normal $10 mic stand, but I would think with the adaptor on top of the Bogen it would work that way as well.  The mics may be out a bit further than with the Windtech, but nowhere near the distance incurred with the Shure bar.  I've not had stability problems, at any rate.  On the other hand, if you're running Blumlein as intended, shouldn't there be a bit of space to the rear?  Probably not too critical, I suppose.

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
Interesting point. 

I think the way I have my setup in the photo the stand is at the side of the rear lobe for both mics, not directly behind it.  I could flip my shockmounts "out" away from the stand and get still more clearance in the rear lobe, at the price of some stability.

I would be curious to know what the experts think about stand clearance/rear lobe interference. 

Could not find length specs on the 4050s but they look short compared to the TLs.  I wonder if that extension bar is long enough for TLs.  Will have to look at the specs - I bought a couple of superclamps too just to round out my gear.  Maybe a DIY extension bar is in order.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:07:48 PM by RobertNC »

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 07:17:18 PM »
Not what you want to hear, I know, but...

I prefer the Windtech clamps for this kinda thing, too.  The price of the Shure A27M bar gets you two SC's, but the same price also gets you one SC + two Windtech's with greater flexibility and stability for stand-clamping, as well as maintaining the option to clamp onto biggish stuff like railings, tables, chair arms, etc..

I find the SuperClamps are too bulky and heavy for most stand purposes (especially considering I run a compact Bogen 3373), and are better for biggish stuff.  The Windtech's are nice and compact, so I'm able to easily carry 2-3 of them in the space a SuperClamp takes up.  (Of course, I also carry a SC, but not for stand-clamping.)

The Shure bar resulted in my mics jutting out pretty far from the stand's vertical axis.  (Like this.)  Perhaps this is what you mean by the "Shure bar is not suitable with the A51TL shockmounts"?

The SC, in its stock configuration, juts out even further and only allows clamping perpendicular to the stand's vertical axis, like the Shure bar.  The addition of a right-angle mini-extension arm will resolve that problem.  In fact, I recommend getting one of the mini-extension arms for flexibility clamping onto biggish stuff.  But if you go with two SC's, you'd need two in order to prevent the shocks from sticking out so far, and it's just more stuff to schlep around.

The Windtech clamps, on the other hand, will work better, with a smaller footprint, for a lower price and allow you to run the mic's as close to the stand's vertical axis as possible, which helps with stability:

I totally agree w/ Brian and I just got two windtech clamps yesterday and I am going to try it tonight. I also own a super clamp but w/ the weight (2x Super Clamps+TL's w shocks=10LBS) and yes I weight this out before I decided to buy windtech. Also if ya have a light stand like I do ya might want to take that in consideration.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
Woow, what a difference the windtech clamps make for stability and ease of use. I ran XY on Tuesday and had my manfrotto light duty stand all the way 9' and it was sturdy ( of course I still had my stand legs duct taped down).
Peace :D
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
Just for the record, it is possible to do this with a single Superclamp with extension arm ("front" would be to the right in this pic, in case that's unclear).

Slick!  I'm having difficulty visualizing, though:  how does one adjust the vertical spread between the mics, e.g. to accommodate broader spacing for big-ass windscreens?
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com