Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: superlux shock mount question  (Read 5290 times)

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
superlux shock mount question
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »
i have been using gordon's set and am getting ready to buy some. not sure if i need the hm-32 or the hm-30. i think i have been using the 32 but not sure. i would love to see a picture of the hm-30 to compare the 2.
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: superlux shock mount question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »
hm-30

hm-32

Offline Carrera2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »

Which one were you using and how did you like it?

Offline halleyscomet8

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:05:26 AM »
hm-32 and i really like them better than the stock c4 mount. i was just hoping they were the cheaper of the 2. i will buy a set anyway.
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline blindcan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:10:38 AM »
I have had it with the Superlux HM-32. I have already broken 3 of them in about 4 months (I have always been a bit rough on my toys). I think the first one broke in the bag because it was in there attached to the stereo bar and got torqued. I think the other 2 broke from being tightened too hard, but because of the offset mount, they tended to flop over and i had a hard time keeping them tight.

I just ordered the Avant SSM1 mounts that look almost exactly the same, but are made of metal and have more bands. At least one person has said that he takes one set of bands off because it is too tight otherwise, which would make them almost exactly like the Superlux. Also the mount is centered, which i think will make it more stable. They are still pretty cheap at $20 (audiomidi.com, ), which i was about to spend on replacements and shipping if I replaced another one. Never mind the value of not having them break right before a show.

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Avant_Electronics_SSM_Metal_Shock_Mount_for_Small_p/9680.htm
http://www.audiomidi.com/SSM-Shock-Mount-P8899.aspx?CPID=392&AFID=3

I did manage to rig one of the broken Superluxes with less than $2 worth of hardware (washers, a plate, and a hose clamp), but the result is not something you would want as an avatar (see attached). mmm, actually that might be about right for me.

I'll let y'all know how i like the Avants.

blind

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:07:07 AM »
The avantone mounts are pretty nice - but a bit tricky to get the mic in without popping a band...they just raised all the prices on Avantone gear BTW...

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »
on top are the ssm mounts. they are heavy. couple of time we had two sets and a set of adk tl's clamped on and it was a tad top heavy. they are sturdy though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:35:08 AM by jkbyram »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:37:58 AM »
FWIW I have both the Avantone and Superlux mounts and prefer the Superlux. They work better with my vertical setup as they fold so that the mic axis is parallel to the stand. They are also 10x lighter than the Avantone. A pair of Avantone mounts and a Shure bar probably weigh close to an Ecocharge.  :-X
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »
FWIW I have both the Avantone and Superlux mounts and prefer the Superlux. They work better with my vertical setup as they fold so that the mic axis is parallel to the stand. They are also 10x lighter than the Avantone. A pair of Avantone mounts and a Shure bar probably weigh close to an Ecocharge.  :-X

yeah - i was going to mention the Avantone shocks are heavy...not so bad - but - outdoors I could see them becoming a problem if the wind were strong enough...(unless you are staked down)

Also - I could see the SSM1s being less desireable when it comes to "clamp ons"

Running indoors - I always tape my stand legs down anyway...so not much of an issue...

I think the SSM1s are probably snug enough to support a shotgun...

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 06:08:32 PM »
i Love my Superlux hm-32 mounts - running my 2nd pair in the past yr or so - 1st was bought used and already a little beat up - i leave mine attached to my vert bar and generally attached to my stand - usually left in my car and the current pair are holding strong for the past 6-7 months
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »
my hm32 died really quick.  one works great the other, not so well.  the plastic discs that tighten on the piece that lets the shock axis up and down cracked and fell out so i duct tape it to the post that screws into the stereo bar.  i've had them since the summer.  prolly end up getting another replacement set just because they came with my mics and i know they'll fit right.  plus for the cost, like 5.99/piece you can't complain.  my .04
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline blindcan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:52:41 PM »
Not sure why i have had such bad luck with the Superlux. FWIW Saxophoner, you can use washers to replace the plastic discs, which actually makes it easier to tighten, but when the tabs on the shock housing itself breaks, you have to get creative.

So given the weight of the Avants, now I am rethinking my stand purchase. I might go with something a bit beefier. I was considering the Lowel Omni, but the flat legs and single bracing doesn't look as sturdy as tubular legs with braces on each side.

http://www.lowel.com/stands.html

I was thinking the Interfit 8-foot stand looked pretty good because it actually extends to 8.5' according to the maunfacturers page http://www.interfitphotographic.com/Accessories/Product%20Pages/lighting%20stands.php
and because of its small footprint. I record in clubs a lot and people are always walking next to the stand and threatening to trip on the legs.

http://www.adorama.com/PALS8.html

but with the weight of the mounts, i may want to go for a couple of more inches spread to keep it stable, maybe with some optic yellow tape on the legs.  ::) I'll probably order a couple more superluxes, too, just to have that option. Ya can't beat the price.

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:15:59 PM »
so where is everyone buying these superlux hm-32's?

i'm getting sick of the AT's i've been using. i don't see the superlux's listed anywhere.
thanks in advance.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:11 PM »

i'm getting sick of the AT's i've been using. i don't see the superlux's listed anywhere.
thanks in advance.

i switched from AT8410 to the superlux h-32's and definately prefer them.  lighter and smaller.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »

thanks in advance.

i switched from AT8410 to the superlux h-32's and definately prefer them.  lighter and smaller.

i here you. i have one that got loose over time. after having to remove the screw and tighten it a lot i decided to super glue it. it STILL came a little loose. now i think i stripped the screw. time for the cheapo option. i found them on superlux's website but i think it said 16+6 shipping for one.

can't these things be had for less?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »

thanks in advance.

i here you. i have one that got loose over time. after having to remove the screw and tighten it a lot i decided to super glue it. it STILL came a little loose. now i think i stripped the screw. time for the cheapo option. i found them on superlux's website but i think it said 16+6 shipping for one.

can't these things be had for less?

looks like superlux raised their prices on the shockmounts - damn wish i woulda grabbed another pair when they were around $5-6 each
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
Mine were literally falling apart in my hands the other night...
I'm thinking the durability of a metal shock sounds like a good idea.

hyperbole aside, how much to the SSM1's actually weigh?
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline blindcan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 11:25:53 PM »
hyperbole aside, how much to the SSM1's actually weigh?

On my kitchen scale they weigh in at 9 oz. each, or over 1 lb per pair! Compare that to the Superlux which was about 2 oz. They are exactly the same size. Seems like someone could come up with a happy medium of durability and weight.

btw, I went ahead and got the Interfit COR 751 stand, which seems sturdy enough to carry the SSM1s. I haven't used them in the field yet, but set up in my living room it worked fine. The risers are a bit thicker than on the Smith-Victor Raven 8, and the stand does reach nearly 8.5 feet. The Adorama website says it weighs 3.6 lbs, but it actually weighs just 3lbs. It's folded length is 31" although the manufacturers website says 30". It is also air-cushioned. Also contrary to the Adorama site, it does not have a 5/8 threaded stud, but a standard 5/8 mounting stud and a 1/4-20 threaded camera mount on top. You'll need the 5/8 stud to 3/8 thread adapter and 3/8 to 5/8 threaded adapter to mount standard stereo mic bars. It's a little pricier than some of the other stands at $65, but it seems like a great all-round stand.

Offline Carrera2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 01:10:46 AM »

Also contrary to the Adorama site, it does not have a 5/8 threaded stud, but a standard 5/8 mounting stud and a 1/4-20 threaded camera mount on top. You'll need the 5/8 stud to 3/8 thread adapter and 3/8 to 5/8 threaded adapter to mount standard stereo mic bars. It's a little pricier than some of the other stands at $65, but it seems like a great all-round stand.

Dear Alan,

The thread on the COR750 is 1/4".  You can find any pictures you need on our website:  www.interfitphotographicusa.com

The COR753 can change from 1/4" to 3/8" if that will help.

Sincerely,
Tambrei White
Interfit Customer Service

=================

There is no website at the above URL.  Try www.interfitphotographic.com .

I'm not sure what she meant by "can change".  Is there an adapter included?  Maybe it can be ordered with 3/8 threads instead?

Does the 5/8 > 3/8 adapter fit well and sturdy on the stud?  I have a jumbo amvona that doesn't mesh well with the dimensions of the adapter; gonna have to chop off the stud to make it fit well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com