Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKH-40  (Read 7836 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Sennheiser MKH-40
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 03:49:38 AM »
The MKH 40 are excellent - I have had mine since 1985.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
i don't think you can go wrong wither way.  get whichever mic is more pleasing to your ears.  the cost of a pair of MKH8040s vs. MKH-40s is about the same i believe.

Thanks for advice, cashandkerouac.
As I know, MKH8040 have a better (wider) freq. responce than the MKH40 but don't have built-in pads. Anyway, from the samples I've hear I really prefer the MKH40, it's more natural for my ears, I've noticed that MKH8040 have a bit "phasey" sound (don't know how to name it right.).
My general question is what would be a better main pair for most tasks (workhorse pair):
1) mics with a flat curve all the way like MKH40 (don't know about other mics in this category)
2) mics with a classic bump in hi-end (most SD condensers having this as I know)
What would be more simple to EQ in post if you have a need:
1) remove hi-end bump
2) add hi-end bump
Yes, I know that it would be better to have a lot of mics from both categories for different tasks, but the question is about main pair that covering most of your needs.
I've come to this question after reading a lot how people scold mics for being bright. So I'm just thinking that having a pair with a flat curve like MKH40 should be more advisable and reliable, isn't it? To record as is, and add this bump if you need it. Just my amateur thoughts :)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »
What would be more simple to EQ in post

I'm of the opinion that it is easiest to EQ recordings made with mics which have a smooth, resonance-free response with a good signal to noise ratio.  To that way of thinking, the overall shape of the response curve is less important as that is easily compensated for by the EQing within the limits set by those other factors.  Unfortunately, published curves are always smoothed so much one can only get a general idea of a microphone's overall timbre by viewing the graphs.

I haven't used these Senns myself.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heehaw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Recently I was happy to bought mkh40 pair for crazy cheap 850$. Without accessories but in like new condition, except for some scratches. And I want to say that this pair sounds really GREAT. Uncolored and low self-noise, "sterile" in a good way. Great bass responce and off-axis rejection. I've recorded some foley for fun to test the mics and when I listened this back in headphones (Fostex tr50) sometimes I've think it happens now. I'm not so experienced, never owned high-end Schoeps or Neumann products but this mics really blows my mind. Now I'm waiting to record some music stuff. Don't know though why this mics not so popular in the tapers area.
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com