Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Magneplanar Magnepan SMGa Ribbon Speaker ??  (Read 16162 times)

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Magneplanar Magnepan SMGa Ribbon Speaker ??
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »
Anyone know anything about the above.  Good, bad what?
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Magneplanar Magnepan SMGa Ribbon Speaker ??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
No personal experience but I don't think they make a bad speaker, hard to go wrong with magenapan
They are finicky about their amplication from everything that I read so make sure you have a high current amp
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »
Not familiar with the SMGa specifically.  Looks like these were entry-level or lower-end Maggies back when they were sold new (till 1996, I think).

I enjoyed my MMGs a great deal.  They provided a fairly small sweet spot (okay with me, since I'm the only one in my household who cares about such things), performed best with some space behind them, and needed an amp capable of handling the 4-ohm impedance.  Really enjoyed their sound:  very life-like, great detail, superb imaging.

Here's an AudioCircle thread you might find useful if you're buying older / used Maggies (and specifically SMGa):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67423.0
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
What Brian said (mainly):

I had MMG's and enjoyed them quite a bit.  Immense soundstage, fantastic imaging.  Their boxless presentation was really quite amazing.  To me though, I didn't find them particularly detailed, esp on the high-end, details were a bit soft.

When I owned them, I had them in a high-ceilinged, large, hard-wood floored living room that was fairly live.  The MMGs sounded great in there.  Once I moved my main listening setup to a downstairs, lower ceiling, carpeted rec room (still on the large side), I didn't like them nearly as much -- I just didn't find enough high-end detail for my tastes.

All that said, Maggies are great speakers.  IME though, electrostatics have a bit of a particular sound that some may love, and some may not.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »
IME though, electrostatics have a bit of a particular sound that some may love, and some may not.
that is very true.  it comes to taste.  either love em or hate em.  i will say i dont know about these speakers but IME most stats are super detailed and airy, with a light bottom end.  add a sub and IMO they are heaven.  i want a set of full panel Logans so bad!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline hzgone

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the info, i read a few posts about adding a sub with these.  I'm thinking about trying to pick some up 150.00 doesn't sound to bad to me what do you think?

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 02:04:55 AM »
it comes to taste.  either love em or hate em.  i will say i dont know about these speakers but IME most stats are super detailed and airy, with a light bottom end.  add a sub and IMO they are heaven.  i want a set of full panel Logans so bad!

I bought my CLS's back around '88... Their detail and transparency ruined me for so many other speakers.  I never added a sub.  It takes a very good one to not be muddy. With some amusement, I'm on the VR4 bandwagon now (though they're in storage right now, and that just kills).

I still have the CLS's, and need to find a good home for them.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:58:42 AM »
original panels?  i love the CLS for a ton of reasons, i really want a set, but a set of spires would be ok too.  martin logans are the bomb!   i have read any set that old will require a new set of panels which i looked into and would run about 1500$.   still worth it for a world class hifi speaker that cost 5x that new.

sorry for the thread hi-jack.  maggies rock too.

PS. ML has announced they are to realease 2 new speakers at CES this week. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:00:58 AM by Jimna »

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24:04 AM »
Not familiar with the SMGa specifically.  Looks like these were entry-level or lower-end Maggies back when they were sold new (till 1996, I think).

I enjoyed my MMGs a great deal.  They provided a fairly small sweet spot (okay with me, since I'm the only one in my household who cares about such things), performed best with some space behind them, and needed an amp capable of handling the 4-ohm impedance.  Really enjoyed their sound:  very life-like, great detail, superb imaging.

Here's an AudioCircle thread you might find useful if you're buying older / used Maggies (and specifically SMGa):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67423.0

I still run MMGs as my mains.  Like them very much.  I agree with everything Brian says.  The sweet spot is small, but it is very sweet.  You definitely need a quality high current amp, particularly for anything above low to moderate volume levels. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
Assuming they're in good condition, for $150 I would definitely go for it.  At the very least, you could get some experience with with e-statics and decide what you think.

I def enjoyed my MMG's.  Everyone talking about how much detail e-statics have has me wondering.  Hard for me to vividly remember the subtleties in sound of what I ran 6 years ago.  Perhaps lack of detail isn't the right term -- more like a more subtle attack?  I remember them being more laid back and less aggressive.

All this talk makes me miss my maggies, but I just ordered a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's, so I'm sure I'll get over it. :P
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline hzgone

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
cool thanks for all the info.  I think i'm going to pick them up.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »
I'm no expert, but Maggies aren't electrostatics, are they?

Of course they share the same shape, large-area/small-displacement diaphram, and dipole nature as 'stats, so set-up should be similar, but as I understand it they work similar to a quasi-ribbon driver: signal current passed though circuit traces printed on the membrane suspended between magnets.  No transformers or power supply to charge high voltage plates like 'stats require.  Probably less problems with humidity I'd guess.

Technical sidebar-
Dynamic mics are to cone speakers like condenser mics are to electrostats like ribbon mics are to ribbon speakers. Maggies and ribbons would technically be in the dynamic family as they use a form of dynamic motor, but the motor is distibuted across the surface of the pannel or lentgh of the ribbon rather than in the form of a central coil & magnet.  The only close microphone analog I know of to the Magnapan style speaker and other similar drivers like the older Infinity EMITs are the rather rare Fostex 'printed ribbon' mics.

I've never had a good chance to listen to a pair of Magnapans, but have always wanted to.  Especially since 'stats often take issue with the hummidity here in FL.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
Everybody should try electrostatics (or quasi-) at least once.  Very unique sonic quality.  I had MMG's for a few years and loved them.  In the end, it was their very small sweet spot (and a very good deal on a pair of VR4's) that caused me to sell them.  I ran stereo subs with the MMG's to give more low end authority.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »
I've had several pairs of maggies over the years.  MMGs, SMGa (pre-curseur to the MMG), and a HUGE 6' pair of 2.6R's (not too long ago).
The maggie to have is the 1.6R.  they've come down a lot in price these days.., IMO, they offer the most maggie bang for the buck.

True true, Maggies are Plannar speakers, not electrostatic.  with electrostats, you actually have to plug the speakers into the wall to provide the charge to the metal on each side of the mylar film (diaphragm), which is how that magic works.

Im and ML fan ..., true and true.  I've had several pairs of those too, and prefer them over the maggies just because you dont really need a sub w/the hybrids like ML's that have a Xover that sends proper signals to their enclosed whoofer.

some tips for MMG owners...take w/a pinch of salt as these were my findings over the course of the last 10 years of lisltening and in several different rooms where I was setting up my stereo...

1. build / buy some new stands so that you can elevate them a tiny bit..., like 10" or so off the floor.  BIG difference.
2. keep them straight, not "laid back"..., you'll get a much more solid presentation.
3. AT MINIMUM....50wpc of Class A or AB power that can drive 4ohm load.  And thats just for little maggies.  you can dump a 100w + into them w/o issue.  Big maggies..., you'd want min of 100w.
4. if trying to blend a sub w/a pair of maggies...., I recommend a multi-driver sub as I find they tend to be a little "faster" in what they do compared to a single huge driver.   I'm a fan of multiple 8" drivers in a small sub (like the baby boomer from pinicle).
I used my Sony dual 10" driver sub.,...., and it blended very nicely (that was only a $200 ish sub whoofer...its all about how fast those big paper cones and move to keep up w/the wafer thin planar speaker.
5.  You'll never hear tubes sound so good as through a quality ESL or Planar.  Period.  But to drive them properlyl, you'll have to spend 5x as much on this said tube amp (think POWER) than you did on the maggies.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »
im trying to lay a foundation for a set of ESL's now.  looking into an Emotiva XPA-2.  its 500wpc into 4ohms.  should handle a set of CLX's well, or any speaker for that matter.   my only concern is the taddle tail qualities of plannar/ESLs of their upstream electronics. 

the XPA-2 is a beast and is getting great reviews all round.  ive even found existing ML owner using it and compared it with a set of classe mono blocks!  anything thats in my price range that can comp with those is worth a try i think....and he was running a set of Odessy's so i trust his review.

i fell in love with a set of boxless speakers a while back and cant shake the desire for a set.  gotta do it.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com