Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TUBES!!??  (Read 5699 times)

Offline jerazis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • http://www.shnflac.net/index.php
TUBES!!??
« on: January 28, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
  So I was runnin an ART-SLA 1 its a 100 watt transparent amp. Sending the sound to it is a lynx l-22 sound card. Any way we did an A-B test ART versus the Dynaco mark III tubes. Night and day difference. The tubes made me want to put the ART in the closet. Now for the meat of the question. Are the tubes sound colored???? It seems to me that tubes in general have been created to preserve the true WAVE form all the way through there circuitry. I do listen for leisure but mainly I listen to clean up the shows I tape or what I transfer for friends. So the ART does have great specs as far as harmonic distortion and things of that nature, I believe ART is said to be some of the more transparent gear you can buy for its price. I guess I just want to now what is giving me a more true sound for editing the tubes or the ART SLA1????   BUT man The tubes just sound soooo damn good!!!!!!!!

thanks jeremy
!!!!!PC AUDIO!!!!
 In the field.... AKG c1000s -> (Edirol m10-dx for the occasional multi mic mix) Shure fp-24-> Korg MR-1
 Play BACK..... Lynx L-22 on board sound card -> ART SLA-100
 Cassette Transfer... Tascam 112 -> Korg MR-1 DFF
 Audio Processing Wave Lab 5.0 with UAD 1
 DAT transfers.... Sony PCM-R300 -> Lynx l22

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: TUBES!!??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
Tubes=color

most people prefer that color though, your not alone.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

runonce

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:41:28 AM »
You will eventually get tired of that sound...

When you first switch - it seems glorious - but after a while, you'll start to think everything sounds the same...and you start to miss the inner-detail...

I've been up and down with tube preamps, poweramps...I always comeback to solid state...

If you like tube sound - look at older solid state gear like McKintosh...

Isnt that ART more of a PA amp?

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »

When you first switch - it seems glorious - but after a while, you'll start to think everything sounds the same...and you start to miss the inner-detail...

Not necessarily.  I certainly don't think everything sounds the same. And tubes can provide *plenty* of "inner detail".
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline jerazis

• Taperssection Newbie
    • http://www.shnflac.net/index.php
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=85&cat=8&id=56   

So that is the ART i have ^^^

great specs for the price. My friend who gave me the Dynaco mark III tubes says if there is a flaw in your sound you will hear it with the tubes. I've been lead to believe the tubes have way more detail than the solid state. I know with our A-B test it seemed like all the sound from the solid state was in one place like all jammed into the center sound field. When we went to the tubes the sound was spread more equal. I would say the biggest issue with the tubes in a mastering environment would be the fact that the output and response can change do to amount of time they run for. This being the case even after the warm up time. However I do feel like it is a more true sound/representation of the music.     
!!!!!PC AUDIO!!!!
 In the field.... AKG c1000s -> (Edirol m10-dx for the occasional multi mic mix) Shure fp-24-> Korg MR-1
 Play BACK..... Lynx L-22 on board sound card -> ART SLA-100
 Cassette Transfer... Tascam 112 -> Korg MR-1 DFF
 Audio Processing Wave Lab 5.0 with UAD 1
 DAT transfers.... Sony PCM-R300 -> Lynx l22

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »

You need to see an audiologist.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:23:23 PM »

I've been lead to believe the tubes have way more detail than the solid state. I know with our A-B test it seemed like all the sound from the solid state was in one place like all jammed into the center sound field. When we went to the tubes the sound was spread more equal.

I think the difference you heard might be better attributed to the design of the amps rather than tubes being more detailed. There are some amazing amps made using tubes and solid state.

Also from your first post, tubes aren't really "created to preserve the true WAVE form all the way through there circuitry".  They are designed simply to provide gain and within their intended operating range they should perform identically to a solid state gain stage. With tubes you generally get more noise and a more narrow frequency bandwidth so typically the intended range of tubes is not defined to be as wide as that of a solid state device.  But both solid state and tubes operating within their intended range will perfectly preserve the original analog wave form.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 11:38:11 PM »

I've been up and down with tube preamps, poweramps...I always comeback to solid state...

If you like tube sound - look at older solid state gear like McKintosh...

Isnt that ART more of a PA amp?

I absolutely could not disagree with you more...

what Michael said
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree with his preference for solid state.  A lot of people prefer ss over tubes for the difference in sound, the lower power dissipation and maintenance. What I don't agree with is the "everything sounds the same" statement. 

I never had that experience with my rig. I'm interested to know which equipment he used to arrive at that conclusion.

I know a lot of people really dig the McIntosh and some of the British speakers but I've always thought they had a reputation for a more laid back sound than the American gear.  Maybe that's what he didn't like?

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:33 PM »
what rig are you listening to these days, michael?

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
correct, personal tastes are personal tastes - he's entitled to his and I to mine. I disagreed with his blanket statement that someone would get tired of the tube sound, that things all sound the same and loss of detail.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
I'm currently running tube mono's and a tube pre. I love the sound. I love ss too. If you have a tube rig and aren't quite thrilled with it, try changing tubes if you're not happy with the current sound. It can make a huge difference. Like most anything in our given hobbies, it's a matter of preference.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »

same as before.  Premier11+MF2250 passive biamped to VR4JR.

since we moved into an office and I don't get to work at home, I've been listening very infrequently because I seldom have the house to myself.  Until my living or work situation I'm doing most of my listening from the iphone while commuting. 

I can't really justify upgrading anything until the room gets fixed and I have more time.  But I really want to try some cary monoblocks.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »

same as before.  Premier11+MF2250 passive biamped to VR4JR.

since we moved into an office and I don't get to work at home, I've been listening very infrequently because I seldom have the house to myself.  Until my living or work situation I'm doing most of my listening from the iphone while commuting. 

I can't really justify upgrading anything until the room gets fixed and I have more time.  But I really want to try some cary monoblocks.

let me know if you need someone to make sure the gear gets exercised properly...I am here for you

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com