Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Small / Modest Two Channel Bookshelf Playback  (Read 2769 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
New Small / Modest Two Channel Bookshelf Playback
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
Here are some thoughts on my new modest two channel bookshelf playback system.  My goal was to put something together that was small (WAF factor), sounded great, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.  It is in our living room, which is 20' x 20', but is open to the living room, kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, and entry.  It fills the room with ease and sounds great without being burned in yet.  Sounds really good considering it's a sub $700 system!!

Source: Logitech Squeezebox Touch.  Cost: $299 at Amazon.com.  Slick piece of gear.  I love being able to sync it with iTunes to stream my collection without using Airtunes.  It has much better responsiveness and so far no drop outs (I had a lot using Airtunes).  I'm using iPenguin's Squeezebox iPhone/iTouch remote app ($9.99) and works well.

Amp: Dayton DTA-100 Class-T Digital Amp w/ 50WPC at 8 ohms.  Cost: $100 at Parts Express.  Most folks have heard of the bargain T-Amps out there (sonic impact, etc.).  This is my first experience with them.  This thing is tiny (fits in the palm of my hand) & drives the PSB's with ease.  The headphone amp drives & sounds great with my Sennheiser HD-650's at first blush.  I've read reviews that the sound gets better after 100 hours of break-in.

Speaker Cables & Interconnects: DIY White Lightening Moonshine cables.  Cost: approximately $15 + my labor.  More info can be found at Six Moons Audio.  Dirt cheap.  Sound pretty darn good thus far. 

Speakers: PSB Alpha B1 bookshelf speakers.  Cost: $225 at DigitalCraze.  Very nice looking & sounds great.  Excellent mid range & surprisingly good bass.  I figured I would need to pick up a subwoofer, but I'm thinking twice about that now that they are set up.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Jackpine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Pinus banksiana
Re: New Small / Modest Two Channel Bookshelf Playback
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:08 AM »
Looks like you nailed it. PSB's have been getting a lot of good reviews lately.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:44:06 PM »
great post, thanks for sharing
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
I'm running a very similar setup in my living room.  My only beef with the Squeezebox in the LMA app is out of date and does not reflect most of the shows that have been added in 2010.  I love the Epos speakers.  I highly recommend checking out Audiogon's classified section if you are shopping speakers.  There are some great deals to be had....

Squeezebox Touch>Vintage Marantz Model 19>Epos ELS-3s

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »
I have a very similar system for our living room (aka: 2nd listening area):
Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 > Sonic Impact 2nd Gen T-Amp > Kef Coda 7

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com