Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got a Turntable.....what next?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Got a Turntable.....what next?
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
New thread to follow-up on this one
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96827.0.html

OK, so i installed a Audio-Technica 440MLa in my dad's old Thorens TD-125 w/SME 3009 tonearm
and set it up (it was almost right on after not being used for almost 20 years)

I have it connected to an old Yamaha receiver with phono inputs playing through the 1959 Altec Lansing
Lagunas  http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Altec/1959-h.jpg

Played a few Neil Young lp's (the only ones i didn't sell with the rest of my lp's and turntable years ago)
I brought over cd's of the same titles to compare, and you know what? I'm back into vinyl  :djsmilie:

My questions:

Should i incorporate the tt set-up into my main rig with a phono stage
pc>empirical offramp turbo>grace 902>psa hca-2>von schweikert vr 2100
or
keep the thorens and altec lansings together with a ps and low watt tube amp just to
play vinyl? only need a few watts to run the altec lansings.
What kind of phono stage and amp would be cool with this type of stuff? I don't have a clue.
Although it sounds nice the way i have it playing now, i know i can get some killer sound with
vinyl, something i never had when i spun records in my youth.....i always had a real crap system.

I'm off to join team vinyl right now.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:30:57 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Got a Turntable.....what next?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »
Your dad had awesome taste! I have a Thorens 125 TT with a Linn arm & it is a nicer deck than my VPI. Honestly I would build around the Thorens, I can't see it being beat by anything under 2k used. In other words your 125 is more than adequate for your main rig, give it the love it deserves & put it into your main system.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
in my studying up on tt's recently that thorens model has gotten good reviews. Fire it up in the main system, maybe get a nice tube phono pre
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Eigenklang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
Hi

Did you check if there is still enough oil in the bearing?

for the real killer vinyl sound, you still have to invest a bit more on the pickup. Goldring MMs are some kind of minimum requirement to me. At the time, my main TT setup is a TD 126 (non-automatic model, new old stock  8)) also with a Linn tonearm and a Lyra Dorian MC pickup.

If I were you and had the space to set up two large systems, I would combine the altecs with 2nd hand  Crimson preamp + power amp. They have some really amazing Phono pres on board!
Also see if you can get 2nd hand Exposure stuff, they have good phono pres in their pres or integrated amps.

Offline edtyre

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
Your dad had awesome taste! I have a Thorens 125 TT with a Linn arm & it is a nicer deck than my VPI. Honestly I would build around the Thorens, I can't see it being beat by anything under 2k used. In other words your 125 is more than adequate for your main rig, give it the love it deserves & put it into your main system.

Yes my dad did have good taste, but he had two rules......1) no one drives his 66 Gran Prix and 2) no one touches his turntable
He passed away 16 years ago, and i played it for the first time last week....it was meant to be.

Hi

Did you check if there is still enough oil in the bearing?

for the real killer vinyl sound, you still have to invest a bit more on the pickup. Goldring MMs are some kind of minimum requirement to me. At the time, my main TT setup is a TD 126 (non-automatic model, new old stock  8)) also with a Linn tonearm and a Lyra Dorian MC pickup.

If I were you and had the space to set up two large systems, I would combine the altecs with 2nd hand  Crimson preamp + power amp. They have some really amazing Phono pres on board!
Also see if you can get 2nd hand Exposure stuff, they have good phono pres in their pres or integrated amps.

Yes, cleaned and refilled with oil. The AT cartridge is a loaner, so thanks for the tip on better quality ones.
I'll look into some of that gear.

My dad also left me 5000 classical lp's, so i have to get a cleaning machine and get serious.

Thanks +T's
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:47:05 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 06:50:59 AM »
nice score.

all my dad leaves me with are bad memories of youth and nasty Vietnam war stories.
+T

Offline chris

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
As Carl says, you are in (very) good hands w/that table and arm combo. I run a modified TD150 and enjoyit daily...it IS THE SOURCE COMPONENT!  Blows away SACD/DVD audio for sure.

But, back to your question.....definitely check out a tube based phono stage (preamp).  Take a look at Decware, Fi Audio, Bottlehead, etc. 

Keep in mind that it take a fair amount of effort to get your table setup correctly w/maintenance, etc.  Once you are dialed in, there's no going back. 

Hint: Warner Bros original green label "American Beauty" side 2.  Pure BLISS> 

Chris E.

LSD2>mod UA5>Darrin's non-reliable PDA (or my non-reliable D8)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:11:46 AM »
another good recomendation that I found in a junk bin..
Mickey Harts "ROLLING THUNDER"
good stuff on vinyl

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »
Such a great thing to have passed down to you.  I am very glad you played it and are someone who can appreciate it.  Cheers to your POP's man...glad to see you guys were cool.

PEACE
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

Offline edtyre

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
It's been a while...but here's the system now:

Thorens TD-125 w/Shure SME 3009 II IMP
with Incognito wiring
Shelter 501 MKII  mc cart
Decware 6 watt tube amp w/NOS Amperex Holland (early 60's)
PS Audio GCHA phono pre
Altec Lansing "Laguna's"

Wow..what a difference over the original set-up. I am going to audition
a few other tube amps as i think my Decware is running out of gas with
only 6 watts. Any ideas? I was thinking Cary or Manley
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 07:28:25 AM »
MANLEY !!!!!!!

stingray !!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 07:35:09 AM »
Depends how you like your tubes to sound honestly. I had a Cary SLI-80 & found it to sound a little dry, wasn't exactly tube-ish enough for my tastes. I know there are other tube amps out there that sound more or less tubey so you need to figure out what your looking for. Best bet is to listen to EVERYTHING so you can make an informed decision.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com