Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Multi-Pattern Mics/Capsules - Mechanical vs. Electrical Switching  (Read 2199 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
i've found some info online regarding multi-pattern mics that use electrical switching or mechanical switching, and i understand the differences between the two.  but i haven't found any info that discusses the pros and cons of one method versus the other. 

is a mechanical or an electrical switching mic generally considered to be "better" than the other?  if so, why?  i have a feeling the answer is "neither is inherrently better", but i'm curious to get any feedback that the knowledgable folks on the board can provide.  thanks.   

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Multi-Pattern Mics/Capsules - Mechanical vs. Electrical Switching
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
Better is a very vage term.  I've not much time and am no expert, but here's a start on the differences. Others know more and I'm sure will offer corrections and more details-

To start with there are far more microphones with variable polar patterns which are switched electrically than there are microphones which are switched mechanically.  The only ones I know of which are switched mechanically are a few Schoeps capsules and some very old ribbon micropnones.  These have a single diaphram element and physically change the housing geometry behind it to vary how much sound reaches the back of side of the diapram, which varies the pickup pattern.  I would think getting that switching mechanism to work correctly and consistantly requires high precision machinework and fabrication.  Two advantages of the Schoeps approach are that 1) the mechanically switched single diaphram may have better off-axis response than an electrically switched double capsule design (though much of that is probably due to the Schoeps having a physically small diaphram and most electrically swithched mics using large diaphrams) and 2) it will perform as a true pressure omni in omni mode, which means better off axis response and flat response to the lowest octave.  In the case of Schoeps, changing a mechanically switched cap is basically like swiching between various response capsules, although the response varies slightly from that of the single pattern caps.

It's probably much easier for manufacturers to build variable pattern microphones which switch electrically, and do so by varying the output sum of two back to back capsules.  Easier manufacturabily of a less complex mechanical design means less fabrication cost as well as possibly longer term reliability and servicability. Microphones with electrical switching typically use two cardioid capsules placed back to back and the switching varies the polarity and signal level of each, the sum of which produces the desired response.  This approach is common in switchable large-diaphram mics where the switching is done either on the mic body itself or on the power-suppy if it is a tube mic.  Advantages other than easier manufacturability are more available patterns-  in some designs infinitely variable via a potentiometer instead of a switch, in some cases the possibility of switching the pattern remotely, far broader selection of microphones across multiple manufacturers.  Disadvantages are typically less well-behaved off-axis responses, and lack of true pressure response in omni mode.

All for now, gotta go..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

cashandkerouac

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
^^^ all that makes total sense.  "better" is very subjective here i know.  i'm sure there is no consensus as to which is "better" and even less consensus as to why.     
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:21:18 PM by bass_ur_face »

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:18 PM »
To start with there are far more microphones with variable polar patterns which are switched electrically than there are microphones which are switched mechanically.  The only ones I know of which are switched mechanically are a few Schoeps capsules and some very old ribbon micropnones.

The Shure KSM141 can be added to the list (card/omni selectable).
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »
This is a little complicated, but: The main advantages of mechanical pattern switching result from the related facts that (a) the capsule can be constructed with a single diaphragm rather than two, and that (b) the omnidirectional setting of the capsule can be a pure pressure transducer, rather than the sum of two back-to-back pressure-gradient transducers.

Those things in themselves may not tell you much. The easier one to explain is the second one. A pressure transducer can have flat response down to any frequency you care to name--definitely below 20 Hz if that's what you want. (The practical limit is set by the need to ship or transport a capsule by air without having the diaphragm rupture; practical, working pressure transducers all have tiny pressure-equalizing vents, which set the limit on their low-frequency response.) Pressure transducers are inherently more immune than pressure-gradient transducers to wind noise, breath noise (if you're close-miking a singer or a speaking voice), and handling noise or other solid-borne sound. Also, they have no proximity effect (the tendency of directional microphones to emphasize the low and low-mid frequencies for point or near-point sound sources in their vicinity, as compared with similar sound sources farther away). So there are both audible and practical advantages for people who use omnidirectional microphones, whether they're switchable-pattern or not.

The advantages of a single-diaphragm construction are also audible in cardioids. Two diaphragms can't exist at the same point in space, but the whole way that a pressure-gradient cardioid capsule works is based on the assumption that the capsule assembly has zero thickness. I don't want to attack anyone's capsule designs, but there's one model of dual-diaphragm capsule from a prominent manufacturer which they use in several of their microphones, that has a greater-than-usual distance between the front diaphragm and the back diaphragm--it's a "thick" design, like a small cylinder. At and around the upper midrange frequency whose half-wavelength corresponds to the distance around the capsule's periphery, there are audible ripples in its frequency response. In that respect a thinner (front to back) design would give better results, all other things being equal.

The polar response of dual-diaphragm cardioids tends to "spread out" at lower frequencies--they become more like wide cardioids. (Many, though not all, also become narrower at high frequencies, such as the famous Neumann U 47 and its successors.) The widening of the low-frequency pattern can be a real advantage in a studio setting, because the microphone tends to pick up more low frequency energy from the room than would be the case if its pattern remained truly cardioid. But it's a big disadvantage in coincident or near-coincident stereo recording with cardioids. The wider the pickup pattern becomes, the more the two microphones will tend to pick up identical (or "highly correlated") signals in both channels, i.e. the more the recording tends toward being mono. But it's at low frequencies where you really need "difference information" between your channels in order to have a sense of spaciousness in a stereo recording. So for the kind of two-microphone recording that most people here are into, single-diaphragm cardioids are definitely better than dual-diaphragm cardioids (which, unfortunately, are the type generally found in switchable-pattern stereo microphones).

The main advantage of electrical switching, on the other hand, is that potentially any directional pattern on the entire spectrum can be chosen, from (admittedly fake) omni through wide cardioid and cardioid, to supercardioid, hypercardioid and figure-8. Again potentially, every other possible point in between should be available, whether the resulting patterns have names or not. And there is also the possibility of switching patterns remotely (from the power supply at some distance down the cable). But it's actually rather rare for microphones to take full advantage of this flexibility--not many microphones have continuously variable pickup patterns or remote pattern switching. 90% or more of the available dual-diaphragm, multi-pattern microphones have three patterns (pseudo-omni, cardioid and figure-8) which are set at the microphone itself--and three patterns is also the most I've ever heard of anyone building into a mechanically-switched capsule. So this potential advantage exists, but is rarely made available to the user.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:19:57 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »
just a small note to Dsatz's excellent (as always) post:

I believe that the Neumann tlm170r allows for all 5 patterns ("omni," sub card, card, hypercard, figure 8) to be selected remotely.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »
Another point, not mentioned so far, is that the diaphragm of an omni is normally tensioned differently from a pressure-gradient microphone.

Mechanical switching will be just as much a compromise as electrical switching - just different compromises.

Both systems have advantages and problems - just different advantages and different problems.

As DSatz says - some electrically switched microphones have a wider spacing of the capsules - this can have some advantages and disadvantages.

I would say that none is "better" than the others - just different - and you choose what works best for you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com