Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: r-09 help  (Read 2574 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
r-09 help
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »

I am running this set up:

Church-Audio STC-11 cards > Church-Audio STC-9100 preamp > Edirol R-09 (24 bit 48 khz)

I am headed to an outdoor festival on Saturday and need some help since I have not had much time to test the CA mics and the R-09.

Is it better to run line in or mic in?

Do I need to set the deck for plug in power?

I have firmware 1.20 - I am planning to update but don't want to mess up the recorder before I head to the festival. Is this something I need to do?

Thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: r-09 help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
Line in.
Power to mics is provided by the preamp (Plug-in power on R-09 off, also AGC off, Low cut off).
You don't need to update firmware before the fest unless you're using a 16 or 32GB card AND want to format it in the recorder.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
Run line-in on the R-09, without plug in power (mic power will come from the preamp, not the R-09). Don't worry about the firmware version.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »

I am running this set up:

Church-Audio STC-11 cards > Church-Audio STC-9100 preamp > Edirol R-09 (24 bit 48 khz)

I am headed to an outdoor festival on Saturday and need some help since I have not had much time to test the CA mics and the R-09.

Is it better to run line in or mic in?

Do I need to set the deck for plug in power?

I have firmware 1.20 - I am planning to update but don't want to mess up the recorder before I head to the festival. Is this something I need to do?

Thanks!

Line In all the way.
No, you don't need to set for plug in power if you're going to run preamap>Line In.
I maybe be wrong, but if I remember right, upgrading you firmware will give you more options regarding larger SD cards (4GB and up), which would be a great idea if you are to tape a festival, lots of acts etc.
Don't worry about the upgrande. If done like it suposed to be done, you'll be fine, don' worry. If you upgrade, DO NOT forget to set up your recorder again, since the upgrade will reset everything. No big deal: in just one minute you're back to what you like using the Menu.
Advice: set you Rec Level around 9 or 10 and use the preamp to provide the rest of the gain
( cleaner gain is always good ).
Hope that helps. Let me know if everything is OK ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
If you upgrade, DO NOT forget to set up your recorder again, since the upgrade will reset everything.

This should be repeated every time anyone discusses upgrading the R-09's firmware. 

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »

THANK YOU for all of the quick replies. I appreciate the help!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:51:31 PM »

If it's windy, you will need dead rats.  If you don't have any, in a pinch use some sort of cloth, like spare socks.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »

If it's windy, you will need dead rats.  If you don't have any, in a pinch use some sort of cloth, like spare socks.

The recordings turned out great - the only problem was that I was unable to control the wind.

Does anyone know how to remove wind rumble from recordings using Audition (or something else)?

Offline anarkust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
Does anyone know how to remove wind rumble from recordings using Audition (or something else)?

You just might be outta luck on that one.  I taped a great Willie Nelson show last year that I won't release or listen to because it was real damn windy. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com