Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what to do if i get stopped at the door of a taper friendly show  (Read 7311 times)

Offline brewphish87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
what to do if i get stopped at the door of a taper friendly show
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »
im a new taper with only 3 shows so far...but ive heard it happens frequently and id hate to drive hours only to be turned away because the venue and band managment arent on the same page

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: what to do if i get stopped at the door of a taper friendly show
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:31:43 AM »
request to talk to the band's tour manager. Who exactly are you worried about? For most taper-friendly bands, you should be able to dig up the name of their TM or FOH guy on here
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline brewphish87

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:34:06 AM »
im planing on taping mule on 12/28 @ the warner theater in dc, not so much the band but the venue, since its so old i thought they might prohibit taping

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:21:31 AM »
I believe the Warner has allowed taping for very taper friendly bands (like Mule) who actually inform the venue about their taping policy.  The best way to improve your chances of an easy entrance when taping at a not-especially-taper-friendly venue is to contact the management before the show to confirm the taping policy and to ask if they'll inform the venue.  I've done that at most shows at the House of Blues in Dallas and had good success with that approach.  Getting the name of the tour manager or FOH is always a good idea so that you can increase the chance that the venue staff will actually go and confirm with the band/crew.  Most importantly, if you do get a no answer at the door, be persistent (and cordial obviously) because a lot of times they will tell you flat out lies for whatever reasons (lazy, just like to be mean, etc.). 

I would also try asking team Baltimore/DC/NorVA for info:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51744.180

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 02:55:06 AM »
Names help a lot- and as stated above be persistent- be there early- way early if you can- like at Load in - I have found this works wonders because you can usually find the tour manager, FOH engineer (aks Soundman) or a band member that you can talk to  and get them to ensure you are "Ok'd"- occasionally get in for Sound check - sometimes if its a smaller band - I'll help load in gear and they always like that... or get in "on the list"
but
just be nice ans explain it is for personal home use and offer to gte them recordings if they want...

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
Mule advance their shows so that the venues are informed about their policy on taping.  Venues like House of Blues could be a problem, but most others you should have no issue.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »
Because many of the bands I tape are not "taper bands" I almost always arrange with the band, and where necessary, the venue, in advance. If a venue gets in the habit of stopping me when I show up, I politely ask for the e-mail of someone I can contact before I show up.  This has been very successful with one venue in particular; I just let them know I'm coming, get the OK, and then I'm all good.  Easier with smaller places, of course. 

Anytime I get stopped, I just say the band allows taping, is there someone I can talk to.  The key is to be very polite and non-confrontational and take no for an answer.  Especially if it's somewhere where you plan to go back, you're better off getting burned once but making a good impression for the future than being labeled as a jerk that they don't want in their place.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »
Speaking from experience, the Mule staff will go out of their way to let you roll tape. Find any of those fellas and you're set. Don't sweat about the Mule and taping. Anyway, there will most certainly be other tapers to help you for entry. Best policy is always to be courteous and have your facts straight.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »
Because many of the bands I tape are not "taper bands" I almost always arrange with the band, and where necessary, the venue, in advance. If a venue gets in the habit of stopping me when I show up, I politely ask for the e-mail of someone I can contact before I show up.  This has been very successful with one venue in particular; I just let them know I'm coming, get the OK, and then I'm all good.  Easier with smaller places, of course. 

Anytime I get stopped, I just say the band allows taping, is there someone I can talk to.  The key is to be very polite and non-confrontational and take no for an answer.  Especially if it's somewhere where you plan to go back, you're better off getting burned once but making a good impression for the future than being labeled as a jerk that they don't want in their place.

I'll generally agree with this. I think a pleasent demeaner will go a long way in this hobby (both getting into venues to tape, and in other avenues). ymmv.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
Get right behind Dr. FOB in line and you'll have no problems.  I'll bet he will be taping this one too.

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
get all the bands and managers' names and contact info..take it with you, even email prior with your name, intent, ect. get to the venue early, dont try to get in with the rest of the creatons at doors with all of your gear just in case their is an issue..call the venue ahead of time..see if they have been made aware of the bands policy yet,..get the theater managers name..give him or her  yours'.. unless its a band i record often and am "guestlisted", I always assume that there will be at least ( even if there isnt) a problem with the venue..and make every effort to clear it up before I even leave my house to go to the show. the absolute last thing you want is problems as youre going in..minutes before the band starts. and just an FYI.. if you approach it the correct way, given the venue is aware of the "open taping" policy.. alot of times they will let you come in early *before doors and the masses enter* and setup.. I have had that happen many, many times.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 02:36:30 AM »
get all the bands and managers' names and contact info..take it with you, even email prior with your name, intent, ect. get to the venue early, dont try to get in with the rest of the creatons at doors with all of your gear just in case their is an issue..call the venue ahead of time..see if they have been made aware of the bands policy yet,..get the theater managers name..give him or her  yours'.. unless its a band i record often and am "guestlisted", I always assume that there will be at least ( even if there isnt) a problem with the venue..and make every effort to clear it up before I even leave my house to go to the show. the absolute last thing you want is problems as youre going in..minutes before the band starts. and just an FYI.. if you approach it the correct way, given the venue is aware of the "open taping" policy.. alot of times they will let you come in early *before doors and the masses enter* and setup.. I have had that happen many, many times.
^^^ ditto
I often have gotten in at load in and been in for sound check - sometimes recorded- sometimes just used as a level check - depending on how in depth the sound check is..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:14:57 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
A couple of times I've had security not know that the band was taper-friendly, but some polite insistence on my part usually gets them to check with the crew. Then security comes back and says its OK. I have been told I can't bring my backpack in (Columbus, OH, Palace Theater), can't use gaff tape on seats (Cleveland, State Theater), can't bring in flashlight, can't bring in pens, pencils (weapons, I guess), and other stuff.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Barry Shoop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
1. Taper friendly bands almost always post something on their site. Print it out and bring with.

2. KNOW the name of the tour manager in advance and make contact via e-mail or whatever in advance. With the advent of social networking and websites you can ALWAYS reach the band before hand. Have a cell # handy if he or she will give it.

3. Be early and BE POLITE. The venue is just trying to stay out of trouble. For sure being a jerk will ensure you do NOT tape that night or any other at that venue.

4. Contact the venue in advance as well and get the name of the manager on duty for the night in question.

5. Print ALL e-mail correspondance and bring it with.

6. If all else fails, politely ask about either locking your gear back in your car or alternatively storing it in a safe, locked place during the show. Being a jerk if totally denied will just mean that you get tossed out thus missing the show as well as not taping.

7. Finally, if you have a relationship with the band (providing copies of shows you have taped is a great way to do this) they or their management will often be happy to tell the venue about you in advance thus saving all sorts of troubles. Take the trouble to get copies to the band and thank them for allowing you to tape. At this point most of the bands I tape put me right on the guest list because they know they are getting a killer tape out of it. (and most of them do not even normally alllow taping.)

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
With the advent of social networking and websites you can ALWAYS reach the band before hand.

You may not ALWAYS receive a response, however... ;)
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com