Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: minidisc skipping/wobbling  (Read 7240 times)

Offline snapple ryes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
Re: minidisc skipping/wobbling
« on: May 02, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »
alright. just to get this out of the way, i have a Sharp 722 MD deck with CSC mics.

the problem i've been having is that about  25% of the time that i record onto a minidisc with my deck and play it back, it ends up skipping and having a wierd wobbling noise, with the music completely dropping out during the skips. now, the obvious answer would be that i might be bumping into the deck while taping. but that cant be it, since there have been times that i recorded and purposely turned the deck upside down, shook it a bit, and tried to make some skips so i could find out for sure if that was the problem. well, behold, after i did this and played it back, it came out smooth and with no major skips as it does the other 75% of the time.
also, when i get the skips, i get them constantly, which come every couple seconds throughout the whole time im recording. i either get tons of skips, or nearly none at all, which i find very confusing.

i also thought it was the brand of MD i was using(sony 80min neige). i then tried recording onto an older 74min memorex MD and it came out great for the most part. but just earlier i tried with the memorex once again, and this time the recording came out with the same type of skips.

so, im pretty lost on whats causing this. i bought the MD deck used a few weeks ago, and the 2nd band i ended up taping(urge overkill) got ruined because of this. could it be that the deck is just  old and shitty, or what? any ideas?
- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/abandonshows/past_torrents.html

"been there done that" attitudes are for folks who are too cool to be happy.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 06:48:31 PM »
Are you re-recording over minidiscs or using completely fresh ones?   I have heard of people having problems with dropouts and skips when you re-record over minidiscs.   I would think Sony ones are better than Memorex...I used the Sonys when I used to use my Sharp Minidisc player with no problems at all.

Could be a loose cord/jack into the player where it isn't getting plugged into completely.

Ok, out of ideas(for now)...sure others will chime in too with other possible causes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 07:03:56 PM by ChrisV »
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Re: minidisc skipping/wobbling
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
that's just MD

it was almost guartenteed that once per show I'd get drop out.

It's why I upgraded to DAT!

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 10:14:49 PM »
could be a wide variety of problems.

anywhere from problems w/ the laser, problems with mic cords, to different types of bump-age to the md.

taperkat

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 12:02:41 AM »
could be a dirty lens, i have 2 722's and one likes to drop out every MD for 1 second at 36:42....

otherwise it's the band that carries the laser inside of it, and it won't get better unless it sits completely still and flat.

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 12:29:43 AM »
thanks a lot for the replies so far guys....

ChrisV, you might be right about the re-using MD's. that seems to be a somewhat logical explanation of what could be happening. i just dont understand how on one recording session, i get constant skips. and the next one, it records nice and smooth. it's as if im taking a chance and playing roulette every time i hit record, and have no way of telling if it's skipping while i record.

taperkat, if it is in fact a dirty lens, then is there any way i could go about fixing/cleaning that? or would i have to take it to some sort of special electronics shop?
also, how can i tell if it is a dirty lens in the first place? do dirty lens's record just fine for one session, and then skip constantly throughout another?

- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 03:09:57 AM »
it's the laser pick up.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 03:27:24 AM »
i have a friend who has terrible results with the sony neige brand. and memorexes always gave me and every person i knew problems...

Offline Rich.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Leeds, England.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 03:47:13 AM »
It sounds like there is something wrong with your mindisc player, like muj said, its probably your laser. Also if youre getting bashed around whilst taping, the anti-skip/g shock can only take so much before it conks out completly!

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 09:50:10 PM »
alright. well if it is the MD's themselves, then i'll find out this wednesday after i try to tape another show. i just bought some brand new fuji MD's . so hopefully everything will turn out fine. i really hope it's not the lazer on my deck.

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 08:00:42 PM »
alright. i taped death cab and it turned out with no skips at all while using the brand new fuji MD's. i hope things continue this way.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 08:36:47 PM »
Which Death Cab show did you tape?  I just taped them Wednesday myself.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 02:35:58 AM by ChrisV »
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Crimson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 08:54:17 AM »
alright. i taped death cab and it turned out with no skips at all while using the brand new fuji MD's. i hope things continue this way.

I've had problems with Fuji's more than other brands.  I just grab a 5-pack of those Sony Gold ones every time Im in Best Buy.

...for the time being.
"The people in these towns, they're asleep...we wake them up"
We wake them up.  - Ben Hawkins.

mk4>nbox>m1

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 01:18:16 PM »
Sony Gold ... I could never justify that much money for an MD. I mean, if it works for you, right on.

I only use my aging and well traveled Sharp MDSR-60 for taping, and it's never given me any problems unless I was expecting them (stealth, getting bumped....)

My Sony MZN505 is used for portable MP3 consumption, and that too will take anything I feed it, no problems.

I mostly use Memorex crystals (cheap!) and Sony color 80 min. discs. Last year, my girlfriend bought me some really nice looking Axia Japanese imports. They have aquatic scenes on the cases, and the discs are really well built. But those five discs are probably the most expensive discs I have, and I don't use them for regular taping. I have Art Bell's last "Coast To Coast AM" radio show on one of them, and the others are used for showing off my MP3 collection to people that ride in my car. ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 01:23:53 PM by Scuba Jeremy »

taperkat

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 09:44:24 AM »
Eep... forgot this thread.

To clean the lens you can just get a lens cleaner thing at Best Buy .. it's basically the same idea that commercial CD lens cleaners are.

In my 722's, they do NOT ACCEPT 80 MINUTE DISCS whatsoever! I am a firm believer in 74 min TDK, Sony Colors, and believe it or not Maxell Golds. I picked up 4 packs from Sam Goody for $1 a piece (.25/md? hell yeh) a while back.

I've used Memorex, HiSpace, etc... any 80 minute locks up in my machine. Memorex seem to have some read errors now and then. HiSpace aren't bad. I forget what other MDs I have.. most of mine are Max/TDK/Sony Coloreds.

Tons of skips would also lead me to believe yours doesn't like 80 minutes - I've got a show that that's all it is is skips, and it's on an 80. Ran my other deck at the same time (trying to matrix) on 74s and went perfectly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com