Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeding - newbie ethics question  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Flimby

• Coffee Fueled
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Seeding - newbie ethics question
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:55:57 AM »

1)  Is it acceptable to seed a show that I did not tape as long as I give proper credit and do not alter the recording?

2) What should I do if I have a show that I would like to seed, but don't have all information regarding the rig, settings, etc. ?

Thanks in advance

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: Seeding - newbie ethics question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:05:01 AM »
1) Yep. Some would say altering the recording is fine too, as long as you a) know what you're doing, and b) document the shit out of it.
2) I'd do as much research as I could - if you know the taper name, look for other shows he taped around that time period and make a best guess. Maybe contact the taper, or the person you got the show from?
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
I agree with what GreenOne says - give all available info and no problems should arise...  As people give you more info, you can add it to the show listing on DB.ETREE, or append the text file.

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »

1)  Is it acceptable to seed a show that I did not tape as long as I give proper credit and do not alter the recording?

2) What should I do if I have a show that I would like to seed, but don't have all information regarding the rig, settings, etc. ?

Thanks in advance

I say contact the taper to get the info correct.
If the taper/rig is unknown, include that info. I've heard some good seeds with no rig info noted. Seed it, especially if it's a great recording!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »
+t for actually stopping to think about the ethics.

The position I take with my recordings is: once they're out there, they're out there.  Ain't nothing can take them back. If you don't seed them, someone else will. If there are specific instructions please honour them (e.g. in my .txt files I almost always write "no bittorrent.. please!")... otherwise I'd say go for it and share the groove!

best regards,
stephen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com