Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Umbrellas?  (Read 5822 times)

Offline fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
Umbrellas?
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion where to locally find a club umbrella? or what b&m store would have a small umbrella? I went to Walmart, Babies R Us, and Target without finding anything in the baby section. I didn't think to look for a golf club umbrella...

Anyone?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Umbrellas?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
Waldoworld has umbrellas in the camping section - labelled Chairbrellas. May also be stocked in the sporting goods section. They are a little big (36-40" diameter) but they come with a short handle and a gooseneck extension with a clamp that is meant to fit the folding camp chairs but it also fits baby strollers and mic stands. However I prefer to use just the short section that the umbrella canopy is attached to and to place the end in a Windtech "C" clamp as the gooseneck extension is not strong enough to withstand the joklahoma wind. Last time I checked about $5.

If you want a small canopy, wallyworld had some folding "Totes" umbrellas in the impulse-buy racks at the registers, about $10. That was a few months ago when we were getting our spring toad-stranglers.

< also search here for "gakbrella" Ted modifies some umbrellas then offers them for sale here. Not sure if he has any left from last summer or if he's going to do another batch this year. >
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:59:53 PM by flipp »

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:54:35 AM »
CVS has clamp umbrellas!  These are made for beach chairs, but will clamp to a stand.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »
If either of those fails, the bigger golf shops may still have a product that I bought a couple years ago...I think it's called a Drizzle Stick.  The umbrella is perfect size for what we do.  It's meant to fit over the top of a golf bag sitting on the back of a golf cart.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
If either of those fails, the bigger golf shops may still have a product that I bought a couple years ago...I think it's called a Drizzle Stick.  The umbrella is perfect size for what we do.  It's meant to fit over the top of a golf bag sitting on the back of a golf cart.

This is what I have too.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/drizzle-stick-flex-golf-umbrella.html
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »
What's the umbrella for?

If it's to protect a microphone in the rain, a Rycote Dyck is the better option as it is designed t take the rain away from the mic without making a noise - with an umbrella you will hear all the pitter-patter on the umbrella.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
What's the umbrella for?

If it's to protect a microphone in the rain, a Rycote Dyck is the better option as it is designed t take the rain away from the mic without making a noise - with an umbrella you will hear all the pitter-patter on the umbrella.

The Rycotes protect single mics at a time and quite frankly are over priced when compared to those using umbrellas around here.  The umbrellas cover stereo pairs in whatever mounting solution the user prefers be it a kwon style bar or using a Shure vert bar.   Many solutions to dampen rain noise are also stated in multiple threads.

John you seem to have a pretty heavy bias to the Rycote products.  With the type of recording the majority of folks do on this board where do you really see the majority of those Rycote products working for tapers?    Seems to me that you may have a different idea of how folks are taping in the field.  While the ENG/Broadcast uses are very apparent I just can't see someone rolling up to a rock show with a Duck.  That thing would just invite people throwing shit at it not to mention that you'd be hard pressed to fit a stereo pair in that thing.

Nice idea.  Absolutely wrong product.

Offline fischer

• Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »

This is what I have too.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/drizzle-stick-flex-golf-umbrella.html

How do you attach it to the stand? just tape it?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
GAK-industries probably still has a few.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127411.0
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127411.0

I Got the Umbrella's from the link above - Good Price and had it in a few days.  Work Great.

If you are looking for something bigger I picked up a Clamp Umbrella for a baby stoller that worked great at Red Rocks.
Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline fischer

• Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »
CVS and Walgreens do not have the chair umbrellas... Heading to Wallyworld, then to Dicks and possibly some other golfing outfits....

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
Yes just tape the drizzle stick to the stand.  If you want a fancier solution that doesn't involve tape, then get Ted's GAK-brella.  I have both a drizzle stick and a GAK brella...I'll use the GAK until it dies and then the drizzle until it dies.  Hopefully both of those will last me another couple of festy seasons.

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
I got a nice little umbrella for 10.00 at Babys R-US It has a clamp and you can put it at different angles.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:34:26 AM »
John you seem to have a pretty heavy bias to the Rycote products.  With the type of recording the majority of folks do on this board where do you really see the majority of those Rycote products working for tapers?   

I like any product that is well designed and good value - Rycote just seem to have a full understanding of all the science and technology involved, much better than the "me too" companies - there is a technical reason for everything in the design. 

I suggested the Duck because it gets rid of the rain silently without the "pitter-patter" noise that an umbrella makes as the rain hits it.

If it's not suitable for your purpose for other reasons - that's fine, it was just a suggestion.

And not everyone on these boards just tapes concerts as you can see from reading the threads.  Many do, of course, but many others record where you don't have to be so surreptitious and  the Rycote InVision mounts (for example) would be useful to many people as they are the best at getting rid of handling noise.

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
OFOTD,

You are making some extremely biased generalizations against rycote and rycote like products.
There are many options to run stereo configurations in a rycote and they I would not call them:

"Absolutely (the) wrong product".

This company specializes in making products for extreme recording environments that professionals use worldwide.

You may trust an unbrella with your mics, but when a strong gust of wind comes and messes it up, then what do you do?

Personally, I'll put some condoms on my mics, stick them in a rycote and fly them just like that in a mist or light rain, more wind and rain, then comes exterior treatment.  To be fair in the discussion, I never tried the duck....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com