Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which choice for a stereo large-diaphragm microphone?  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: which choice for a stereo large-diaphragm microphone?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
Many thanks to you all for the extensive replies and suggestions.

Unfortunately a pole is a no way. Venue staff are not that relaxed  :'(
I made an experiment with a short flexible pole connected to a tripod: I was holdining it on the seat between my legs. It came to noting as I got sound inteferences, I guess from the pumping of the large  blood vessel  we have next to the crouch  ;D and other contacts from my body!!!!

As for hend-holding, Italina tapers go to a great lenght to tape in a tape unfriendly environment (which is the case most of the time)

Best,
Mauro
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »
I'm in the same situation, and would like a LDC stereo mic for open taping of classical and jazz.  After looking around at all the mics mentioned, I'm leaning heavily towards getting this:

http://www.avantoneaudio.com/ck40.htm

It is not an LSD2 with a red paint job.  They appear to be totally different mics.  I like the fact that I'll be able to do Blumlein with a twist of the top element, something that not all the stereo mics mentioned can do (the AT 4050st has no figure eight).  That may not be important to you, and if not, the AT4050st is certainly a proven performer and very reliable.

Here's a review of the CK-40:

http://www.studioauditions.com/gearreviewdetail.php?GearReviewID=166

I emailed the guy who wrote it, and he told me it has performed flawlessly for the 3 1/2 years he's owned it.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
I like the fact that I'll be able to do Blumlein with a twist of the top element, something that not all the stereo mics mentioned can do (the AT 4050st has no figure eight). 

Actually the AT4050ST does have a Figure-of-eight. It just doesn't have the two of them that are necessary for Blumlein.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
My bad, thankls for the correction.

Offline ducktaper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • "Ssscchoepeses!"
    • Home Team Graphics
? > Busmod PMD661

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
Just came into say I love my 4050st. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »
Just came into say I love my 4050st.

Since almost all mics these days give a freq response up to 20kHz, I'm surprised the 4050ST only specs 18kHz. Is Audio Technica just being conservative?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »
AT has a good reputation for being honest about specs.  I wouldn't worry about that 18k spec....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »
AT has a good reputation for being honest about specs.  I wouldn't worry about that 18k spec....

So, you find there's plenty of high end on this mic?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 12:09:39 PM »

You'd be surprised what "air" sounds like and how low that actually is on the frequency chart.

Hell, I can't realiably hear micro detail above 15-16khz anymore and I've taken care of my hearing (wear plugs often, get tested, etc).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »
I'm in the same situation, and would like a LDC stereo mic for open taping of classical and jazz.  After looking around at all the mics mentioned, I'm leaning heavily towards getting this:

http://www.avantoneaudio.com/ck40.htm

It is not an LSD2 with a red paint job.  They appear to be totally different mics.  I like the fact that I'll be able to do Blumlein with a twist of the top element, something that not all the stereo mics mentioned can do (the AT 4050st has no figure eight).  That may not be important to you, and if not, the AT4050st is certainly a proven performer and very reliable.

I can't find too many posts on the forum about the Avantone CK-40. Any opinions about its quality vs. the AT4050ST? The refurbished AT's are around the same price now as the CK-40.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »

You'd be surprised what "air" sounds like and how low that actually is on the frequency chart.

Hell, I can't realiably hear micro detail above 15-16khz anymore and I've taken care of my hearing (wear plugs often, get tested, etc).

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I wanted to say thanks to Javier and Page for their advice re the AT4050ST. I ended up getting a refurbished model and I'm really liking it, especially in the 127ยบ setting. Really nice wide ambience.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com