Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tube microphones  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
tube microphones
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
Hi
What makes a tube mic so great. I know that all best sound is usually tube amps and all that stuff down the line. But does a tube mic really sound that good?

Any opinions

Don't think I'll every have enough money to buy one, but I'd love everyone's opinion.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: tube microphones
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »
harmonic distortion. Read up on even and odd harmonic distortion.

(no particular preference, but a quick search yielded):
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/382595-odd-vs-even-harmonic-distortion-2.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound#Harmonic_content_and_distortion

I thought it was RANE, but there was a place that had a fantastic write up of it (and I swear it had that similar cream colored background). Can't find it at the moment though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Hi
What makes a tube mic so great. I know that all best sound is usually tube amps and all that stuff down the line. But does a tube mic really sound that good?

Any opinions

Don't think I'll every have enough money to buy one, but I'd love everyone's opinion.

Personally I am not that struck on valve (vacuum tube) microphones as I prefer cleanness and accuracy.

But a good valve mic. can add warmth and a colour that can be very much loved.

So, there is a place for both.

A good valve mic. can be very beneficial for the human voice in many circumstances.

So, it's always worthwhile getting a good one if you like the colour it brings to the recording.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Hi

Any opinions

Tube mics are more than just tubes. You have a transformer as well for matching impedances. Most tube mics dont sound that great unless they are designed properly. Just because a mic is a tube mic does not guarantee a great sound. The best examples of good tube mics are Neumann mics from the 40's and 50's They used a special VF14 tube made by telefunken. These mics sound the best. Mics using the 12ax7 A new designed tube imo dont sound anywhere near as good as the original VF14 tube or retrofitted 13CW4 Nuvistor these use a lower plate voltage of 105v to 110v. Most people prefer the original VF14 Tube. The other popular tube was the 12AY7 or 6072. This tube is used in the ela m 250/251 and C12.

But generally speaking I think part of the magic is the old tubes that were inside them. We simply don't make the same quality of tube that we used to.
If you have a new tube mic with a 12ax7 replacing it with a Nice NOS tube can make a huge difference. Its also very important if you are using some Chinese tube mics that the plate voltage and heater voltages supplies have safety fuses on them in case the cable shorts out or a tube fails. Its also important to maintain and inspect the multi pin cables on tube mics for wear and tear because high voltage is present inside these cables.

I just wanted to share a few tips about thee mics. I do service quite a few of these mics every year. I do like the sound of tube mics but like anything a poor design tube or not will always sound like shit. Compared to a good solid state design. There is a mojo in a tube circuit that is just different than a solid state design and the main difference is the fact that its point to point wired. Not my first choice for capturing live music... But definitely my first choice for vocals. Having used original U47s and Ela M 251 mics in the studio there is no comparison between that and say a Akg 414. There is a glow that comes off these old vintage mics. That you just dont get from anything else.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:10:21 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:44:06 AM »
> I know that all best sound is usually tube amps ...

Yes, but that's musical instrument amplifiers. You can often make them sound more colorful and interesting by driving them into moderate levels of distortion. Many tube amplifier circuits have a considerable range of power output during which the distortion remains within, say 5 to 10%, and mainly emphasizes the lower, even-order harmonics of the sound (e.g. "soft clipping").

Microphones are another thing, though. Most of us typically record with a stereo pair of microphones that capture the overall sound of a performance--the entire "mix" at once. So any coloration in the microphone (or preamp, or recorder) applies to everything at once. That approach doesn't usually sound very good; it tends to sound like--well, like a distorted recording, actually.

Even for applications such as close-up vocals in a studio, the problem with using overload distortion in a microphone for "color" is that you usually have no way to control it. With guitar and bass amps, you can set the "drive" level (which determines the distortion) somewhat independently from the output level (volume level). Thus you can pre-set the range in which the desired distortion levels will be triggered. But with a microphone, you can't normally do that; the distortion is a simple function of the sound pressure level. I know of only one contemporary tube microphone that lets you move the overload point up or down within the dynamic range the way an instrument amp can. Much more commonly, that kind of arrangement exists in tube mike preamps. See, for example, ART tube preamps--no great shakes in terms of quality, to be sure, but they have the kind of gain controls that I'm talking about, and they've sold fairly well over the years.

Most "vintage" tube microphones weren't designed for close-up recording at screaming volume levels, so their audible overload range begins at a point below the limit of a rock singer's volume range. That, just coincidentally, allows a singer to use the overload range as an "effect" by screaming into the mike. (And that is pretty much how tube condensers got their reputation as studio vocal microphones during the Beatles era.) There also are people who will gladly, for a fee, modify a microphone's circuitry to bring its overload point down into the volume range that people can sing in, so that a singer can drive that microphone into varying degrees of distortion for effect.

Those approaches tend to yield rather specialized microphones that may work well for one person's voice, but not for another person's. And that can be good enough if you can afford what it costs to take that approach. But again, that's all close-up studio recording--spot or soloist-type miking. It's one thing to color a particular element of a recording, such as the bass or the vocals, but quite another one to smear everything with the same distortion. That gets old pretty quickly.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:53:07 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
> I know that all best sound is usually tube amps ...

Yes, but that's musical instrument amplifiers. You can often make them sound more colorful and interesting by driving them into moderate levels of distortion. Many tube amplifier circuits have a considerable range of power output during which the distortion remains within, say 5 to 10%, and mainly emphasizes the lower, even-order harmonics of the sound (e.g. "soft clipping").

Microphones are another thing, though. Most of us typically record with a stereo pair of microphones that capture the overall sound of a performance--the entire "mix" at once. So any coloration in the microphone (or preamp, or recorder) applies to everything at once. That approach doesn't usually sound very good; it tends to sound like--well, like a distorted recording, actually.

Even for applications such as close-up vocals in a studio, the problem with using overload distortion in a microphone for "color" is that you usually have no way to control it. With guitar and bass amps, you can set the "drive" level (which determines the distortion) somewhat independently from the output level (volume level). Thus you can pre-set the range in which the desired distortion levels will be triggered. But with a microphone, you can't normally do that; the distortion is a simple function of the sound pressure level. I know of only one contemporary tube microphone that lets you move the overload point up or down within the dynamic range the way an instrument amp can. Much more commonly, that kind of arrangement exists in tube mike preamps. See, for example, ART tube preamps--no great shakes in terms of quality, to be sure, but they have the kind of gain controls that I'm talking about, and they've sold fairly well over the years.

Most "vintage" tube microphones weren't designed for close-up recording at screaming volume levels, so their audible overload range begins at a point below the limit of a rock singer's volume range. That, just coincidentally, allows a singer to use the overload range as an "effect" by screaming into the mike. (And that is pretty much how tube condensers got their reputation as studio vocal microphones during the Beatles era.) There also are people who will gladly, for a fee, modify a microphone's circuitry to bring its overload point down into the volume range that people can sing in, so that a singer can drive that microphone into varying degrees of distortion for effect.

Those approaches tend to yield rather specialized microphones that may work well for one person's voice, but not for another person's. And that can be good enough if you can afford what it costs to take that approach. But again, that's all close-up studio recording--spot or soloist-type miking. It's one thing to color a particular element of a recording, such as the bass or the vocals, but quite another one to smear everything with the same distortion. That gets old pretty quickly.

--best regards
I just want to say as always you are so eloquent in your posts. I wish I could communicate as well as you do. I hope someday we can have a chat about audio. Its pretty rare to meet someone that has as much knowledge as you do. Thanks for sharing and being a part of this community. As far as tube amp distortion measurements.. I was shocked the first time I measured the THD of a tube guitar amp I finished servicing it looked really nice on the scope a nice 1k sine wave.. Until I hocked it up to my computer and analyzed it for distortion. It was over 7 % THD I now know these things are not meant for sonic accuracy more for the "tone" and like you said much of that tone is the distortion they impart on a signal.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:13:30 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »
The Telefunken ELA M 260 are tube mics?  I really like the shows that I have heard with these mics as the source.  Nice sounding and detailed.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »
Busman makes tube mics. Are those any good?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
yes...yes they are.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlPWeH6i-vY  Love the Busmans!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
The Telefunken ELA M 260 are tube mics?  I really like the shows that I have heard with these mics as the source.  Nice sounding and detailed.
The reissue uses the EF-732 tube. The original used the vf14

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »

yup me too  ;D

cashandkerouac

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
i like just about anything with tubes in it, but i'm not sure i would want to use tube mics to record concerts in "uncontrolled" conditions from a distance.  seems risky, but that's probably just me.   

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:45 PM »

The original used the ac701 not the vf14 - the vf14 wouldn't fit in the 20mm diameter body
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:20:23 AM »
i like just about anything with tubes in it, but i'm not sure i would want to use tube mics to record concerts in "uncontrolled" conditions from a distance.  seems risky, but that's probably just me.

Shit i recorded 4 days at HSMF in the heat and direct sunlight with the telefunkens....so far everything is workin fine.  ;D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 04:41:51 AM »

The original used the ac701 not the vf14 - the vf14 wouldn't fit in the 20mm diameter body
You are correct I got the two confused the 261 and the 260 261 used the vf14 the ac701 tube. I realize the vf14 would not fit into the case of the 261 ;) There are also no known substitutes for the original that do not require some modification to the original circuit and it voltage changes. This tube does not have a socket it's hard wired into the circuit.

Offline Larry J. Villella

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »

Just for fun, I did a recording of my jam band on (almost) ALL tube mics.

We had a pair of Tube mics on my Steinway, Tube mics for Drum O/H, Sax, Upright Bass.

The next session we did ALL FET.  The surprise was that the ALL Tube Session sounded muddy
by comparison.  I know that the Early Miles/Coltrane Sessions featured a plethora of U-47/67.

And those albums DO sound fantastic!

I was surprised how much cleaner and more detailed the FET tracks were by comparison.

My takeaway was for Lead Vocals (or even Lead Horns) the tubes are sublime.

But for multiple tracks and particularly percussion and piano, my ears preferred 'solid state'.

Thoughts?

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
Well, just like other audio gear, there are tube mics and there are tube mics.  Some will be much better than others.  I assume you weren't using U-47s and U-67s for your recording.  It certainly isn't the case that all FET mics will sound better than all tube mics.  What mics did you use?  I have  some first run Groove Tubes tube mics (the US made ones) and a Gefell LD tube mic that are fantastic.  I've used (and own) some of the more recent Chinese tube mics that are fairly mediocre.  So as with many things in audio, it depends.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com