Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new mics  (Read 5040 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
new mics
« on: November 02, 2004, 12:40:09 PM »
I'm about to have a new set of mics...my first.....and I was wondering if someone could give me some info on taking care of a set of mics. The pair I'm buying is used, and I was also wondering how I go about getting them tested. I know this is probably on the archive but I can't seem to find it. If anyone has any helpfull info, or can point me in the direction of some, I would really apreciate it. Thanks.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new mics
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 12:45:51 PM »
Handle them gently.  Pack them securely for travel so they don't bang around.  Don't spill beer on them.  Hook 'em up to the rest of your gear and recording something off your home stereo.  What mics?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 12:47:45 PM »
Get some windscreens to protect them from smoke, etc. during indoor shows.  Cigarette smoke will eat your mics alive if left unprotected in that smoky bar...

And baby them, they are essentially your ears...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Brian, they're Nak CM100's w/ CP1 caps.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 12:55:48 PM »
If I'm making a bad choice, speak now please!!!
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »
good choice, lots of versatility.  These are some of the most used, and longest used mics around, good work
mics & cameras

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 01:12:24 PM »
I've been reading up on these mics in posts here and I'm just now realizing that they can't run on phantom power unless modified. But it seems that everyone who uses these mics feels that the eveready #206 9v that they run on works great. So, I started thinking, do I need a A/D converter w/ phantom powere? Since I can't use it with the mics unmodified, could I save money by getting an A/D without. Any thoughts on this? My plan right now is Nak CM100(CP1)>UA-5 digiMOD>JB3. Plan on modifying the ua-5 myself to save $.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 01:20:02 PM »
Seems like a reasonable plan.  Since the Nak's are powered internally by batt, you don't need phantom power.  Just turn off (or don't turn on, depending on the default - I think the UA-5 defaults to OFF) the UA-5 phantom power.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 01:29:28 PM »
I just ran a quick search trying to find an A/D converter w/o phantom power and found next to nothing. Definetly not anything cheaper. You guys know of anything.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »
I just ran a quick search trying to find an A/D converter w/o phantom power and found next to nothing. Definetly not anything cheaper. You guys know of anything.

AD-20

Edit:  I know nothing of these mics, but you can't run phantom power to them even though they are battery powered?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 03:41:12 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 03:58:59 PM »

AD-20

QFT, the AD20 is a preamp and ADC, but no Phantom Power, that's where the PS2 comes in the mix...

Or run the Naks into the UA5 and turn the PPower off (default).

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 04:12:32 PM »
The NAK CM100's have to be modified to run on phantom power. Without that, they only run on a special 9v.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 04:18:51 PM »
The NAK CM100's have to be modified to run on phantom power. Without that, they only run on a special 9v.

Well, you'd prolly get better sound out of them using +48v, but if not, I'd just go with the AD-20.  But if you are ever going to mod them to accept phantom power, something like the UA-5 might be a better idea.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 04:29:23 PM »
Seems like a reasonable plan.  Since the Nak's are powered internally by batt, you don't need phantom power.  Just turn off (or don't turn on, depending on the default - I think the UA-5 defaults to OFF) the UA-5 phantom power.

This is correct.  The UA5 will be just fine, and if you ever switch mics to something that needs phantom power you will already have a pre that will give power.  Also check out the remote power forum for a thread on Walmart Li-ION batteries for the UA5.  I can't fluff this battery enough.  Hasn't failed me yet. ;D

+T for the new toys.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 04:39:09 PM »

This is correct.  The UA5 will be just fine, and if you ever switch mics to something that needs phantom power you will already have a pre that will give power.  Also check out the remote power forum for a thread on Walmart Li-ION batteries for the UA5.  I can't fluff this battery enough.  Hasn't failed me yet. ;D

I've been meaning to scope that battery.  Looks much more compact than the batteryspace RC car batteries that I am currently using.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 04:44:40 PM »
sounds like sticking with the ua-5 is the way to go. Plan on buying stock and modifying myself to save money. Anyone done that? How'd it work out?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 04:59:25 PM »
SpeshulEd did it- he said its really easy.

Do you think you'll be modding the mics at some point?  If you don't, I'd strongly, strongly suggest the AD-20 instead.  I think might sound better than a stock UA-5 (subjective, but possible) - and you'll get one for cheaper than a new UA-5 (I got mine used for $175). 

Also keep in mind that all of the battery power stuff for a UA-5 is going to run you about another $60 or so- that's how much I dropped into mine purchasing 2 batteries from battery space, and creating Blue666's power cord to go with it.  I think those Wal-Mart batteries are about $45 - $50 as well...

If you are going to mod the mics, disregard what I have said, and go for the UA-5.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 05:16:52 PM »
It's hard to say what I'll do down the road...I've only just begun....I like what I've heard from the Nak's and if I like them as much once I've got my own, I very well may do the mod. That's a tough one. How much of a difference in sound are we talking about b/w the ad-20 and stock ua-5?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 05:26:21 PM »
I can't answer that question for you- Its subjective, really.  check some samples.  I can't compare the two and give a subjective opinion cause I don't have much experience with a stock UA-5, except from SpesulEd's - his tapes sound great, IMO.

but, the more I think about it, the more I'd sway to the UA-5, regardless... if you are unsure, its prolly in your best interest to give yourself the most possibility of upgrading later on. 

With the AD-20, if you ever switch mics (which you prolly will - we all do!) - you'll most likely need to get that phantom power supply anyways.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 09:11:12 PM »
its really not that hard, i have only soldered once or twice in my life and i did it.  Be aware though you are working in an area the size of your thumbnail, so its gonna be tight. 
mics & cameras

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 08:38:50 AM »
I did it.  I was very terrified, considering the size and what is at stake.  Get a magnifying glass, an exacto, and pray
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 10:41:25 AM »
try it yourself first, its very hard to permanently fuck up the UA-5, you have to really try to fuck it up, i mean really try.  My hands shake alot and I got one of those clip thingy's for holding wires in place when you solder and a fine point iron and I was alright.   If you don't get it I am sure someone around here would be happy to help you do it. 
mics & cameras

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 03:49:22 PM »
The walmart battery is super compact.....about the size of an M1.  What I like the most about it is the amount of power it gives (~5500mAh).  This battery will hold out with my power hog Earthworks mics for 5+ hours.  It also charges really fast and has a meter so you can tell how much power is left. 

Let me put it this way -> I used it to tape SCI (2.5hours of phantom power + 45mins of just being on) about a month ago.  Last Friday I was gonna charge it up for a Sat. show but only one bar of power out of 4 was used.  A MONTH LATER!!!  Ya this battery rocks.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline coop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • been there, taped it.
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2004, 10:35:02 PM »
just an FYI,  the nak cm-100's run on AA batteries.  the cm-300's use the tricky 9v.
     coop
bicycle more, drive less, breathe easier.
http://www.gimmecoffee.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com