Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: skm-140 set or MBHO with actives?  (Read 6059 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: skm-140 set or MBHO with actives?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 03:34:30 PM »
Never heard a ck6x » JK Labs tape I didn't like.

-Kevin

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 03:55:21 PM »
I have listened to both of these mics extensively, as have most people, for the record I love MBHO's and have heard consistently great recordings with them, however the MBHO mics lack the refinement and precise sound reproduction that other mics can offer including the Neumann's, in my experience the 140's will be on a different and higher quality level than will be the 603a's, so unless the 140's are vastly more expensive than the 603a's you should go with the 140's

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 08:30:26 PM »
who makes and sells the NBox?

I don't know how stealthy your looking to get, but there's also Schoeps MK4 > Nbox. Right around $2k if you find a pair of used MK4.

Sorry to be a schoeps pimp :)
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 01:44:28 PM »
FWIW I run the MBHO 648a instead of the 603a.  They are smaller and don’t have that silver connector.  They have a fixed cable, only take 48v, and can not be run with full bodies.  I think they are less expensive than the 603a’s.  My guess is that you can get a new pair of 648a’s, hypers, and cards for 2K.  Put them both in one schoeps shock and you are good to go.  You don’t see many people using these and I am not sure why.  I could get some photos up if you like,
Ed   
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 07:35:19 PM »
he's looking for an active setup

JK Labs, if I am not mistaken, makes an active setup now for the M20, M21 & M27 caps that fit on the SMS2000 series mics. One COULD purchase just the desired caps (to remain stealthy) and have JK Labs build an active setup. I suggest this because the whole SMS series mics with caps are almost $2000 new. The active setup from what I am told is over $1200; but just the caps and active setup would bring you to the $2K mark you have to spend. Now while this indeed would be a worthy stealth setup, it would not (again from what I am being told) not as quiet of a pre section as the stock SMS2000 mic bodies MG has. But I have not done a AB comp. The MG SMS series are very quiet, excellent sounding mics!!

I gave the Neumanns, Scheops, AKG's and MBHO's alll a hard listen before ponying-up to the MG's, BUT I didn't desire a stealth setup either so just another criteria to consider!! Once again is is all just subjective opinons based on personal listening tastes.....have fun!! Its OK to be a gear slut!! Just give the shit a chance!!!  :-*

Peace,
LoS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 07:37:39 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 01:34:57 AM »
he's looking for an active setup

JK Labs, if I am not mistaken, makes an active setup now for the M20, M21 & M27 caps that fit on the SMS2000 series mics. One COULD purchase just the desired caps (to remain stealthy) and have JK Labs build an active setup. I suggest this because the whole SMS series mics with caps are almost $2000 new. The active setup from what I am told is over $1200; but just the caps and active setup would bring you to the $2K mark you have to spend. Now while this indeed would be a worthy stealth setup, it would not (again from what I am being told) not as quiet of a pre section as the stock SMS2000 mic bodies MG has. But I have not done a AB comp. The MG SMS series are very quiet, excellent sounding mics!!

I gave the Neumanns, Scheops, AKG's and MBHO's alll a hard listen before ponying-up to the MG's, BUT I didn't desire a stealth setup either so just another criteria to consider!! Once again is is all just subjective opinons based on personal listening tastes.....have fun!! Its OK to be a gear slut!! Just give the shit a chance!!!  :-*

Peace,
LoS

The owner of that MG active cable system should contact me. I don't think the unit in question can be performing to specs. The DVC's way of telling you that it is in need of a little TLC is to force you a notch or two up on the record dial.  I.e, you're 6 to 12 dB down wrt s/n ratio..  (Valid for all our systems built for capsules in need of a polarizing voltage).   

Jon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com