Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Unique baffle: Kimber isomike  (Read 6076 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Unique baffle: Kimber isomike
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:38:09 PM »
I was reading an article in stereophile recently that discussed recording with this baffle. Damn is this thing huge!!  :o 

http://www.kimber.com/IsoMike/
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Unique baffle: Kimber isomike
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »
I was reading an article in stereophile recently that discussed recording with this baffle. Damn is this thing huge!!  :o 

http://www.kimber.com/IsoMike/

Someone posted the link to the Stereophile site back in mid-April, and I ran out to get the May issue when it hit the stands in late April.  I'm a bit sceptical, but I was interested in hearing the disk they recorded with this bugger, which the Stereophile website said would be available in mid-May.  It still said that in June, but now I see they promise the disk for late July.  If it ever does come out I'll certainly be getting it.  I'm trying to imagine the hat you'd need to stealth this thing.

Jeff

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
  I'm trying to imagine the hat you'd need to stealth this thing.

Jeff

Sombrero for sure.    ;) 
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »
Might sound great, but it is not practical. For the work I do, that sort of monstrosity is a no-go.  In a hall where one had permanent residence as a recording engineer and carte blanche to do whatever they chose, it would work, but for the location engineer that is always in a different hall, never.. I am still waiting to hear the CD too, though id never buy one of those things.

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 04:50:52 PM »
Looks like a David Smith mobile... :o

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 02:41:41 AM »
Oh come on...you wouldn't want to put one of those fob/dfc?
Socks are overrated.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
I read the article in Stereophile too and I can't wait to hear the recording.
When it does come available hopefully someone will post here to give us a heads up.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
Da-yum! That thing is almost as big as my....

car. :P
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:50:18 PM »
Might sound great, but it is not practical. For the work I do, that sort of monstrosity is a no-go.  In a hall where one had permanent residence as a recording engineer and carte blanche to do whatever they chose, it would work, but for the location engineer that is always in a different hall, never.. I am still waiting to hear the CD too, though id never buy one of those things.

I'm not sure we're going to know how great it sounds.  When the Stereophile article came out in late April, they promised a May date for availabliliy, which slipped to July and then September, and has now just disappeared from their web site.  I just called to find out what was going on, and was told that due to delays out of their control there is now no estimated arrival date.

Jeff (baffled by the delay)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »

I'm not sure we're going to know how great it sounds.  When the Stereophile article came out in late April, they promised a May date for availabliliy, which slipped to July and then September, and has now just disappeared from their web site.  I just called to find out what was going on, and was told that due to delays out of their control there is now no estimated arrival date.

Yeah, I've been waiting for it too...
I hope they release it...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
lots of dats tapes too ;D

jeez, you think theyd be hip w/ technology over dat
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RebelRebel

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 08:09:12 PM »
lots of dats tapes too ;D

jeez, you think theyd be hip w/ technology over dat

bean...can i ask you a question??? what the blue hell are you talking about?  :drunk:

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »

Well the CD recorded in this session has finally made it to market on the Stereophile website, after about three years from the recording session and almost nine months after the promised May '06 availability.  As a confirmed user of Jecklin and LiteGuy baffles, I ordered it, to see what the fuss was about.

I hear no advantage whatsoever to this gigantic gadget over smaller baffles.  The stereo and room ambiance on this CD are ho-hum, the piano sound is harsh and unconvincing.  I'd really be surprised if there was a lot of follow up, or if anyone other than Stereophile paid much attention to the disk.

Jeff

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »

Come on who needs site lines when you can have a huge frigging kite to block half the stage with  ;D
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 12:02:42 PM »
ouch!

not to mention needing pettybone or scissor lift to assist in flying a stereo pair.

We sure have come a long way in microphone design now our microphones only take up about 20 square yards of space. That's progress for ya :) Hey what the hell is a pettybone?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com