Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good rig for bad rooms?  (Read 9155 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Good rig for bad rooms?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 07:56:24 AM »
What about just putting them at normal placement on a standard stereo bar?

I think the point is that spaced omnis sound better than a normal interval on a stereo bar.
or either a baffle..

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2005, 07:58:07 AM »
So do I need 2 stands or what then and do they usually allow that kind of room in a taping section?  Where do I get a good stand and accessories anyway?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 08:02:30 AM »

The main problem is that there's no damn mounts for the mics besides clips, so you fashion something up.  Sonically, w/ omnis, you really gotta do something more than putting them close together and pointing them because you won't get much (if any) stereo seperation.  When you wear them on your head, your head is acting as a baffle, which gives you stereo seperation.   The j-disc would do the same thing, except on a stand.  Split omnis also gives great stereo seperation as well.

I got my stand from ebay.   The best way, most low profile way would be to do the jecklin disk.  FWIW, everything you need to know about split omnis and jecklin discs, including a number of pics of an awesome Jdisc Moke made for 406x's is located here.  enjoy!

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 08:04:53 AM »
I've actually made a Jdisc and used it for recording my drum kit now and again but I don't have a good way to mount the mics to it or to mount the disc to the stand.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2005, 08:08:44 AM »
I've actually made a Jdisc and used it for recording my drum kit now and again but I don't have a good way to mount the mics to it or to mount the disc to the stand.

Yup... that's the creative part.   Moke did something where he weaved the cables, and pulled them tight, which held the mics in place.  You probably have the same situation as I, which is that this is not really possible b/c the mics can't be detatched from one another... I just use tape and tape them to the disc.

I used a wooden dowel, and put that dowel into a shockmount... that's how I got it on the stand.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Ray76

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 08:09:43 AM »

The main problem is that there's no damn mounts for the mics besides clips, so you fashion something up.  Sonically, w/ omnis, you really gotta do something more than putting them close together and pointing them because you won't get much (if any) stereo seperation.  When you wear them on your head, your head is acting as a baffle, which gives you stereo seperation.   The j-disc would do the same thing, except on a stand.  Split omnis also gives great stereo seperation as well.

I got my stand from ebay.   The best way, most low profile way would be to do the jecklin disk.  FWIW, everything you need to know about split omnis and jecklin discs, including a number of pics of an awesome Jdisc Moke made for 406x's is located here.  enjoy!

Scott, I can also build one for you , ive got some extra materials. I can follow the model of mine, which has the jecklin disc AND a universal thread on top of the disc in case you wanted to mount a stereo bar for 4 mic configuration..

Teddy

Ray76

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2005, 08:11:32 AM »

Yup... that's the creative part.   Moke did something where he weaved the cables, and pulled them tight, which held the mics in place.  You probably have the same situation as I, which is that this is not really possible b/c the mics can't be detatched from one another... I just use tape and tape them to the disc.

I used a wooden dowel, and put that dowel into a shockmount... that's how I got it on the stand.

pencil erasers(the trianguular ones attached to a pencil going through the disc is more than adequate...and like I said...ive got extra material...let me know and i can send the disc when i send your cable.
Teddy

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2005, 08:13:12 AM »

pencil erasers(the trianguular ones attached to a pencil going through the disc is more than adequate...and like I said...ive got extra material...let me know and i can send the disc when i send your cable.
Teddy

If I'm envisioning what you are saying correctly, pencil erasers are a brilliant idea.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2005, 08:13:56 AM »
If you've got the time that's fine by me.  Any timeframe on that cable anyway? ;D

Ray76

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2005, 08:36:46 AM »

Teddy

If I'm envisioning what you are saying correctly, pencil erasers are a brilliant idea.

Yes you are.. exactly so id say, though your brain isnt quite capable of higher echelons of thought like mine is. This is a baser level though, so yeah..you probably are thinking like me in this instance. :P

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »

Teddy

Yes you are.. exactly so id say, though your brain isnt quite capable of higher echelons of thought like mine is. This is a baser level though, so yeah..you probably are thinking like me in this instance. :P

:lol:  Nice!

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Ray76

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »

Teddy

:lol:  Nice!

well, im hit or miss. i havent taken my anti-psychotics yet today, so im funny! :P ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com