Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First Taping  (Read 1374 times)

Offline the_irish_rocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
First Taping
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:21:03 PM »

Hi everyone!
       My name is Genna, I've recently gotten in to taping and am taping my first concert tonight. I've got all my gear and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on setup and settings. I'm using a nomad jukebox 3 and 2 audio technica cardio stereo mics on an 8' mic stand with a 'T' bar and mic mounts. I'm including a diagram of the venue with a black dot where I'm planning on setting up. Like I said any suggestions for setup and settings, or even just advice on recoring my first concert are very welcome. The band is a jam band, playing covers of bands like Phish, the Gratefeul Dead, MC5, and Pearl Jam. The venue is small, but they only run vocals and one guitar through the soundboard so I can't do a sooundboard recordining. Thanks!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: First Taping
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »
Plug it in and give it a go.  Don't over-think it.

You *appear* to be setting up iin a good place, although without knowing how the venue sounds there's no way to tell.

Just get out there, press record, watch your levels and then go home and evaluate how you did.  Your ears will tell you what you need to improve the next time around.

Once you've gotten a few outings under your belt you'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Good luck!
Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »

In a small bar often the most intuitive place is not always the best. Is there a bar, bathroom, trash can or coat check around the area you want set up? These areas always have noise you don't want on tape. Also where are the PA speakers located? How close to the stage is your spot? Close enough to get sound directly from the guitar and other amps on stage?

I like to walk around the room an listen. Sometimes when I'm not taping during a show I'll try to figure out what areas sound best to me. If there's an opener try to find the spot and move during set break.

It's trial and error mostly and  you will learn from experience what sounds best to you on your rig.

Good Luck!

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline the_irish_rocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 02:34:56 PM »

Thanks guys!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com