Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MiniDisc Format pro's and con's  (Read 8855 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re:MiniDisc Format pro's and con's
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2003, 07:03:37 PM »
i for one do not frown upon MD sourced shows.  for me it depends on who's taping.  experienced tapers will pull off good recordings no matter the recorder.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2003, 07:11:36 PM »
To be honest, i've heard some lousy dat recordings and some pretty decent MD recordings.  Some of the shows i taped on my MD recorder sound pretty damn good.  Plus, with all the noise in a concert, how likely are you going to hear any artifacts due to Atrac?  Slim to none.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2003, 08:01:13 PM »
Plus, with all the noise in a concert, how likely are you going to hear any artifacts due to Atrac?  Slim to none.

hate to disagree, but on a decent playback system...compression always comes out....

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2003, 02:11:15 AM »
There are so many factors that go into a good recording...perhaps this is not the philosophical response you were looking for but the pros and cons of md have already been covered.
I say go out and get what you can afford and start the taping experience as soon as possible instead of holding out for better gear.  Like most others on the list, I have fallen down the slippery slope, and happily so.  At the same time, I believe that all the good gear does is increase the likelihood of a good recording.  And increase the likelihood of fucking it up too!  More boxes, more cables, more buttons and knobs, more power sources - you guys know what I'm talking about here.

I still get a big kick out of lots of my md recordings.  My Morning Jacket has played here twice in the last year and a half or so.  First time - CSBs, Sharp MD, small club.  Second time - mics/board, UA-5, laptop, JB3, post matrix (larger venue).  Hate to say it but that first recording just flat out sounds better.  Not because of the gear, but like I said before, gear just increases the likelihood of getting a good sound, it doesn't guarantee it!  It also increases the role you play in choosing and setting it up properly, which again, can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Right now I'm thinking about putting the md back in action for stealthing.  My CSBs just don't drive the JB3 high enough and I'm not ready to buy new mics just for the odd stealth (I still have the md deck for digital transfers).

And if the recent blind tests put on by Brian have taught us anything, it's that in reality, lots of people can't tell the difference between gear, or if they can, they often prefer the 'worse' one, choosing it for tonal characteristics vs. musical accuracy.

There's always so much said about preamps, a>d and compression when a newbie asks about getting into the game.  It's probably quite daunting.  This is making me crave a big test - JB3, M-1, MD showdown.  True blind.  We could just fire some quality studio music into the recorders so we can keep it controlled.  Anyone interested?

KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2003, 02:14:48 AM »
i say a test like that is was past its due.

were you thinking digital or analog inputs, im thinking analog or we probably wouldnt be comparing jb3s and dats correct?

+T even for the idea

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2003, 09:46:53 AM »
Con:

A lot of people who use MD to tape don't have a standalone MD deck, or usually don't indicate whether their transfer was analog or digital - just talking from experience here. For people who have large music collections, the spectrum of what's acceptable becomes narrower. So sometimes, some amateur MD tapers are hard to tolerate (have you ever heard of an "amateur" DAT taper??).

I've come up with this rule when trading for minidisc-sourced shows:

Don't get it, unless
1. It came from the taper
2. you know the taper transfers shows digitally off MD

If those rules hold and it's A-quality, I say go for it.

As for taping, I think MD is just good practice for moving up the ladder. Once your "taping techniques" are down, you won't risk messing recordings up with -- or losing -- more expensive gear.
Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2003, 12:59:43 PM »
fwiw, i have never had an md skip on me during recording.  when i started out i patched with md for about a year and got some great tapes.  i converted them digitall (albeit through a soundblaster live card which resamples unnecessarily) and they sounded great.  it was cheap, convenient, highly portable, and it did the trick.
when i realized i wanted to run a full rig, especially after showing up to patch at a show and nobody was taping, i knew i wanted to get a higher quality set up if i was going to be the only taper.  i went straight to laptop recording and skipped dat.  but you can still pull decent tapes with an md and i say if it's a choice between getting one now and waiting till you have enough for dat and all the extras, get the md now.  that one show you might miss if you had been waiting for gear will be worth it to have on md.  plus as others have said it gets you going and you can start building up your experience as a taper....plus you can get a feel for whether or not this hobby is for you.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2003, 01:40:32 PM »
I agree, I think the biggest issue with MD recordings is whether it was a digital or analog transfer to the computer.  That said, I've heard some great MD recordings.  I think David's right - better gear doesn't guarantee a better recording.  I think it just raises the bar for the potential quality of the recording.   In my experience, that means nothing if you don't have the techniques down.

Something else I'm surprised is not mentioned here - many MD decks don't allow you to change recording levels once you start recording.  I suppose that's not a format issue, but an issue with recording with certain MD players.  I know that I generally don't get the levels correct from the start...and if the sound guy raises the volume....

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2003, 02:36:47 PM »
Plus, with all the noise in a concert, how likely are you going to hear any artifacts due to Atrac?  Slim to none.

hate to disagree, but on a decent playback system...compression always comes out....

Preach it, Nick. Don't even need a compressed/uncompressed comparison to hear the compression.

Offline George

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2003, 06:27:31 PM »
Con:

A lot of people who use MD to tape don't have a standalone MD deck, or usually don't indicate whether their transfer was analog or digital - just talking from experience here. For people who have large music collections, the spectrum of what's acceptable becomes narrower. So sometimes, some amateur MD tapers are hard to tolerate (have you ever heard of an "amateur" DAT taper??).

I've come up with this rule when trading for minidisc-sourced shows:

Don't get it, unless
1. It came from the taper
2. you know the taper transfers shows digitally off MD

If those rules hold and it's A-quality, I say go for it.

As for taping, I think MD is just good practice for moving up the ladder. Once your "taping techniques" are down, you won't risk messing recordings up with -- or losing -- more expensive gear.

I'm an amateur dat taper...just bought a M1 and plan on learning a lot about taping so i can be as fabulous as the rest of you   ;D

When i taped a bunch of shows this past Summer and Fall, i converted everything from my MD masters via line out (analog) on my MD deck to line in on my audigy 2 soundcard.  I did many comparisons between the master MD a burned cdr just to make sure the conversion wasn't fouled up...it wasn't.  I couldn't make out any differences at all.  Now, that's not to say i don't believe in the pro's of a digitally converted master, i really do...but with my current equipment i just don't see the need to purchase another MD deck just for digital conversions...not yet at least.  Of course, buying a audiophile soundcard is on the back of my mind as i consider this hobby a hell of a lot of fun and i'd like to get the best out of my recordings for preservations sake.

Now, i've heard some god awful MD recordings (typically featuring a cheap ass mic and no battery box).  What did they expect?  I did some research before getting a MD rig...bought the right MD recorder, a good pair of mics and a battery box and put it to use soon after at a Iron Maiden concert at MSG (nothing is more exciting than sneaking in the gear at MSG).   The recording came out pretty solid, i went on a Maiden forum and offered up some B&P's to people to get it out to everyone.  I also uploaded a shn copy to the shn newsgroup to share it out.  

Feel free to pm me if you'd like to obtain some copies of my MD sourced shows, sure they have their flaws...due to their clumsy owner, but i think you might like what you hear   ;)

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2003, 07:08:30 PM »
Feel free to pm me if you'd like to obtain some copies of my MD sourced shows, sure they have their flaws...due to their clumsy owner, but i think you might like what you hear   ;)

I hear ya there - there are still a bunch of MD recordings with unknown transfer types in my collection just 'cause they sound good.

And hats off to getting stuff into MSG! I lose about 10 lbs in sweat getting stuff into a bar, so I could only imagine what that would be like.
Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline George

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2003, 08:13:06 PM »
And hats off to getting stuff into MSG! I lose about 10 lbs in sweat getting stuff into a bar, so I could only imagine what that would be like.

Me?  Sweat?  Nah!  I almost got caught with my battery box...thank god i stuffed in a bunch of crap into my pockets to deflect attention...i whipped out a blank MD and the guard let me right through   ;D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2003, 04:17:29 AM »
i say a test like that is was past its due.

were you thinking digital or analog inputs, im thinking analog or we probably wouldnt be comparing jb3s and dats correct?

+T even for the idea

Yeah - analog inputs, but now that you mention it, we could isolate the sound of ATRAC compression by running optical into the md.  I'll get on this when I'm back.  Should have access to an M-1 as well.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2003, 04:42:50 AM »
How about we just sum it up quickly:  ;D

Pro's: You can listen to the show on the way home

Cons: Everything else
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2003, 08:49:02 AM »
How about we just sum it up quickly:  ;D

Pro's: You can listen to the show on the way home

Cons: Everything else

I know that is becomming the case more these days
The last few times I've given guys a MD patch,  and watched them miss music during "flips"  I tell them when the show is over that I will be putting up a bit torrent in the next few days,  and they always say "cool I think I will just get that"  so I bet fewer MDs are even getting transfered
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com