Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A friend wants to get into taping (another friend, not the last one).  (Read 8869 times)

Offline TimSmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: A friend wants to get into taping (another friend, not the last one).
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »
I run mics-->battery box-->Line-in on the PCM-M10. At a typically loud show, gain is 5 to 7 depending on which mics.

Seriously, all the talk here has at various points convinced me to try a preamp only to turn around and sell it after it became clear that I was never going to use any gain from it. If I go to a quiet show, mics-->BB-->Mic-in. If I go to anything amplified, mics-->BB-->Line-in does it.

Why spend the extra $90 - $100 on a preamp if you're just going to use it as a battery box?

Agree. I have CA-9200 preamp, but I mainly use mics>bbox>m10. Mic-in or line-in (depending on loudness of a show). IMHO M10 has much better preamp comparing to cheaper recorders (tascam dr05, zoomh2, etc...) I am satisfied even with some quiet ethno recordings I made recently. An external preamp for a loud rock show? No, sir! Less equipment - less chance of a stupid mistake.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 08:50:49 AM »
How is it less gear with a battery box vs preamp?

For me the tinybox is a way better solution then a battery box for the simple fact you can run three set ups in one - pip/48v/actives
And the tb is smaller then the m10
So in the end yes it cost more up front but you have one of that does it all, small and compact, and great resale value
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
I run mics-->battery box-->Line-in on the PCM-M10. At a typically loud show, gain is 5 to 7 depending on which mics.

Seriously, all the talk here has at various points convinced me to try a preamp only to turn around and sell it after it became clear that I was never going to use any gain from it. If I go to a quiet show, mics-->BB-->Mic-in. If I go to anything amplified, mics-->BB-->Line-in does it.

Why spend the extra $90 - $100 on a preamp if you're just going to use it as a battery box?

Maybe you should talk with "bluntforcetrauma".  He lists 8 preamps:

PreAmps
SD MP2
DPA mma6000
Sonosax sx-m2 x (4)
Aeta psp3
tiny box

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
good point.  I've heard good things about the Tascam DR2D as well.  The 5 second pre-record buffer on the Sony M10 is nice.  is there any mini recorder like these with a digital in that he might utilize in the future?

The DR2D isn't a bad choice but it's battery life pales next to the M10. 

Why would he want digital in because miniature mics are all analog?  Many people around here are running Schoeps active rigs to a TinyBox or Nbox and they're both analog.
I agree I would get the m10 over almost anything. Although I still have a R09HR that does the job.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com