Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Batteries are killing me...  (Read 8439 times)

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
Re: Batteries are killing me...
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2004, 09:51:19 AM »
jb3 needs something like 5v(in that area), and i would imagine that the ua-5 needs 9 but I am not sure. 

Which wire/cord are you using?  The one I mentioned above that I purchased/built from Radio Shack or the hack/cut wire/cord that come with the battery?
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2004, 12:27:08 PM »
I'm only powering the UA-5, I found enough of a deal on batteries to stock up and have 6 for the JB3.  There is a diagram somewhere on the boards showing how you power a UA-5 and JB3
mics & cameras

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2004, 01:29:20 PM »
But this battery wouldn't be enought for the AD-20/PS-2 - both of those want 9-18v IIRC. 

This is exactly what I was thinking.  By using a spliter the 9V battery would be halfing the power to the PS-2 and AD-20.

Not true -- if the power from the 9 volt is split by running the 2 connectors in parallel (positive from the battery to positive on each of the 2 connectors and negative to negative), each of the connectors would receive the full 9 volts output by the battery (and would be able to obtain 1/2 of its total current output).  IF wired in parallel, each connector would be hot once the setup was attached to the battery and the battery should power both units simultaneously or either of the units individually.

I believe a voltage reduction would only occur if the 2 connectors were run in series, i.e. positive from battery connected to positive of first connector, then negative of first connector connected to positive of second connector and negative of second connector to battery.  If you wired the connectors in series, neither unit would operate unless both were plugged in (since both would need to be plugged in for the circuit to complete) and each would receive approx. 1/2 of the voltage being supplied by the battery.

Are you sure your lithium ion battery is putting out 9 volts (and is not a 7.2 volt battery)?

Do the low battery lights on the ps2 or ad20 illuminate when plugged into the battery? 

Is the polarity correct on each of the connectors?

a 5200mah 9 volt lithium ion battery should power both the ad20 and ps2 for a REALLY long time -- total capacity of a typical "normal" 9 volt alkaline battery is around 570 mah (see, e.g. http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=4863137) -- thus, being conservative with numbers, the 5200mah external battery should run the ps2 and ad20 for at least 4 times as long as a pair of "normal" 9 volt batteries.

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2004, 04:10:48 PM »
The only time I've heard pops and clicks with my AD-20 is when the battery is dying, so that's probably what happened.
I was also going to comment on the parallel/series thing, but you covered it well. Mine is wired parallel and usually gives about 11v to both devices on a fresh charge.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2004, 04:46:50 PM »
When I get home I will check to make sure my battery is a 9V/5400mAh battery. 

Can you guys confirm my buid/setup by looking at the following Radio Shack URL:
-
http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F000%5F000&Page=1
-
I purchased the following to run with the battery:  Adaptaplug B -> 6 Ft. Adaptaplug Extension Cable -> 6-Inch Adaptaplug Y-Cable Extension -> Adaptaplug F (off each of the Y-Cable Extensions) -> 1 Adaptaplug F to the PS-2 and 1 Adaptaplug F to the AD-20

I'll post back when I get home and check the battery

Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2004, 05:07:13 PM »
Best way to determine what's going on is to pick up a voltmeter -- they're prety cheap at radioshack (and you could return it if you have no interest in keeping it).  This will let you confirm that the polarity on the plugs is correct and determine the voltage the ps2 and ad20 are receiving.

Next best way -- see if either the ps2 or the ad20 will run when the other's not plugged in -- this would not be possible if they're wired in series (the wrong way), but would work a-ok if wired in parallel (the right way)

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2004, 10:52:45 AM »
dnsacks, you willing to post up some pics?  I'm thinking mine is probably running in series and not parallel.  Would like to see a pick of how people got this to run in parallel. 

Recording Gear:

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2004, 11:15:19 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't run this setup any more -- now use a walmart lithium ion battery to run a ua5 -- so I don't have anything to photograph.  If I did, such a photograph would merely show the positive wire coming out of the plug from the battery attached to the positive wires going to each of the plugs that power the ad20 and ps2 and the negative wire coming out of the plug from the battery attached to the negative wires going to each of the plugs that power the ad20 and ps2.

Do you have any soldiering experience?  If so, I can easily walk you through the steps necessary to put together the wiring you need -- let me know.  Otherwise, your best bet might be to see if one of the folks around here that put together custom cables for folks would be interested in brewing together the cable you'd need.

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 11:24:18 AM »
It's been a while since I've broken out the sodering iron.  I think I can manage the job.  I'll just make a couple trial runs on some extra wiring in my toolbox.  I'll test the voltage first.  Thanks for all the feedback on this thread.  +T to all!

Recording Gear:

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 11:51:10 AM »
Sweet -- you'll need to make a total of 2 soldiering connections to do this -- should be easy.  Just be sure to use a voltmeter to check both power and polarity before soldiering (and plugging in for the first time) and you should be all set

IMPORTANT -- be sure to plug the harness into the PS2 and AD20 BEFORE plugging it into the battery (i.e. always connect the battery last) on this setup.  When you plug the harness into the ps2 and ad20 you will briefly short the connectors and if the battery is already plugged in, this could trip the battery's internal fuse.

Darrin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com