Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Compression Question  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Compression Question
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
Im just getting to where I feel safe using Compression and Limiting.

I use a 1:17 to 1 Compression ratio and set the limiter at -3 during the 2 ch mixdown and thats pretty much it.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Compression/

Thanks for the link, Teddy.  That helps.  :)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 01:47:33 PM »
I cant quote compression ratios because it depends on the song and what type of meteral being compressed.

That is a good point. Like EQ or any processing really, it depends on what is needed and the source material. There isn't really any cookie cutter settings. The volume of the source material can vary a lot.

A safe rule of thumb is to use as little as possible with longer attack and longer release to avoid pumping.

A short attack can screw your highs and fast transients a lot. Something to bear in mind. For those of you starting to try this stuff. Next time you have a compressor over a mix shorten the attack all of the way and listen to what it does to your highs and transients. Then make it a bit longer while still focusing on the transients.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2006, 02:38:21 PM »
I cant quote compression ratios because it depends on the song and what type of meteral being compressed.

I wasnt suggesting that she use those ratios, I was just saying that I always do.You are right about source material, but I dont record anything other than classical music, and those settings work perfectly for me. One of the engineers at telarc suggested those ratios to me, and ive used them ever since.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:59 PM »
my 2 cents

1. dont master audio using headphones ( i am not saying you are) it distorts the entrie sound. always use good speakers
I actually disagree with this, but only on one condition.  That condition being you have some headphones better than your typical phones you can buy at Best Buy.
I have had Sennheiser HD570 headphones for the last 2-3 years and listened to every type of music through them with probably a few thousand hours.  I know what music should sound like coming out of these phones, and I do master with them, and things come out great.

The rule I am trying to set is, know your equipment.  Listen to everything you can through your speaker or headphone setup you want to do mastering on.  There is a line to be drawn on equipment quality to do it with, but a decent pair of headphones costs a heck of a lot less than a decent pair of speakers.

I, for one, cannot be sure of bass shape in phones.
So I use multiple playback, phones, car, home stereo, and, of course, my monitors.
That way, wierd resonances and other strangeness is less likely to occur.

My new mantra ?  All things considered, less bass is more as long as you can discern the bass lines and hear the kickdrum.
If I deviate from this, I am always very cautious.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com