Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PA Buzz-Is there a way to remove it?  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PA Buzz-Is there a way to remove it?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 05:11:55 PM »
thats a classic
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline keyclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My Myspace Music  page
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »

:lol: awesome.  you must be a FOH eng. or have at some point.

Thanks, no actually stage left, behind a keyboard rig...but I am intimately involved in the half of the
signal chain I describe! I joined here because I am intending to get involved in the big ">" between the
band and the recording gear. Putting together a R-09 based rig to record bands I play with, and perhaps
some other concerts, etc. Great resource here :-)

Greg 

cshepherd

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
Its funny, tapers spend a great deal of time optimizing their 'signal chain' as it were, but still
have little or no control of over half of the actual total signal chain...

Noisy Guitar pickup > crappy beer soaked cables> Buzzy tube amp > torn speaker driver>
banged up Shure SM58> crappy beersoaked cable> Snake> Behringer Mixer > Ground Loops, digital noise, SCR noise from lighting system> Power Amp> Ratty Speaker Cables> Poorly placed, under powered Pa cabinets> Air conditioners/fans> noisy audience> Then to taper's gear!

And some of us still manage to make good recordings.   ;D  Welcome aboard.  Great Post.

Chris

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »
Its funny, tapers spend a great deal of time optimizing their 'signal chain' as it were, but still

Noisy Guitar pickup > crappy beer soaked cables> Buzzy tube amp > torn speaker driver>
banged up Shure SM58> crappy beersoaked cable> Snake> Behringer Mixer > Ground Loops, digital noise, SCR noise from lighting system> Power Amp> Ratty Speaker Cables> Poorly placed, under powered Pa cabinets> Air conditioners/fans> noisy audience> Then to taper's gear!

I taped that show in March, and will be posting it to the archive shortly.   ;D  Great, but sadly true, analysis of the all too frequent state of affairs.  All you possibly missed was beersoaked audience, and potentially beersoaked gear.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will experiment with them when I have some time, and will let you know what did and didn't work.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 10:29:19 PM »

isn't that what makes this hobby so much fun and challenging though?

If the conditions were optimal, we'd be in a studio. and we wouldn't be tapers, we'd be engineers.

we would isolate instruments, use high quality mics on amps and use signal processing, and post production to put it all together and clean it up.

if you can make a good recording of noisy guitar pickup>beer soaked cables>etc... you're a good taper.

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 12:33:32 AM »

isn't that what makes this hobby so much fun and challenging though?

If the conditions were optimal, we'd be in a studio. and we wouldn't be tapers, we'd be engineers.

we would isolate instruments, use high quality mics on amps and use signal processing, and post production to put it all together and clean it up.

if you can make a good recording of noisy guitar pickup>beer soaked cables>etc... you're a good taper.

Well said Ian.  It's easy to tape in an easy setting, it's the tough ones that separate the men from the boys.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

cshepherd

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 12:54:47 AM »
We have to invest thousands just to get a recording that sounds like hundreds.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:28:32 AM by cshepherd »

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 09:03:54 AM »

:lol: awesome.  you must be a FOH eng. or have at some point.

Thanks, no actually stage left, behind a keyboard rig...but I am intimately involved in the half of the
signal chain I describe! I joined here because I am intending to get involved in the big ">" between the
band and the recording gear. Putting together a R-09 based rig to record bands I play with, and perhaps

Greg 

right on....welcome!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »

Greg 

You don't see a lot of musician tapers.  Too many things to deal with, both playing and recording.  If you have a good clamp spot for mics, that can't possibly be bumped, and run your cables back to your deck, it might not be too much of a hassle, but you probably want to avoid just recording from small board setups, just because of the imbalance between instruments, or total lack in many cases.  Loved your description.  This is a great place to ask for and receive help.  +T

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »
google "Nyquist Plug-ins" in order to find a notch filter tool (filename is 'notch.ny').  Once you get the file, put it in your .../Audacity/Plug-Ins directory, so that it will then show up in Audacity's "Effect" tab.

What's the trick to launching the plug-ins?  I searched and found what I wanted.  Downloaded them to the Audacity folder on my PC.  Extracted the files to the same folder but when I launch Audaity they don't appear in the effects tab. 

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
google "Nyquist Plug-ins" in order to find a notch filter tool (filename is 'notch.ny').  Once you get the file, put it in your .../Audacity/Plug-Ins directory, so that it will then show up in Audacity's "Effect" tab.

What's the trick to launching the plug-ins?  I searched and found what I wanted.  Downloaded them to the Audacity folder on my PC.  Extracted the files to the same folder but when I launch Audaity they don't appear in the effects tab. 

Pretty sure you have to put 'notch.ny' into the .../Audacity/Plug-Ins folder (not the .../Audacity folder) for it to show up on the effects tab..............do you also have a ...Audacity/Nyquist folder with a bunch of ".lsp" files in it?  I think it comes with the standard installation........I'll do some checking.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 06:13:53 PM »
"Pretty sure you have to put 'notch.ny' into the .../Audacity/Plug-Ins folder..."  That's exactly where they are but they don't appear in the effects tab.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »
"Pretty sure you have to put 'notch.ny' into the .../Audacity/Plug-Ins folder..."  That's exactly where they are but they don't appear in the effects tab.

Audacity 1.2.4?

I just checked a couple of times, now......if I take the 'notch.ny' file out of the .../Audacity/Plug-Ins folder, it is removed from the effects tab.  Put it back in ----- notch filter shows back up again (near the bottom of the frame) ???.  Hmmmmm......

I'll do some more checking....... ???

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
Yes, Audacity version is 1.2.4

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 03:46:00 AM »
Yes, Audacity version is 1.2.4

This is how I did it......don't know why yours bombs   ??? ???

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com