Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom H6  (Read 61442 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Zoom H6
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
The label on the 3.5mm jack states Mic/Line

So yes, my assumption is that there is quite a bit of gain and there is no workaround in the internal settings

Is the plug-in power on the 3.5mm jack switchable?

Looks like it is per page 88...perhaps turning it off might change the input sensitivity also...?(a longshot!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:44:31 AM by runonce »

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
The label on the 3.5mm jack states Mic/Line

So yes, my assumption is that there is quite a bit of gain and there is no workaround in the internal settings

Is the plug-in power on the 3.5mm jack switchable?

Looks like it is per page 88...perhaps turning it off might change the input sensitivity also...?(a longshot!)

I went back thru and have my PIP already set to off, and the 1/8 input on the X/Y mic is hot.
I have to lower the output from the SBD at my local venue from where I run it into my DR-2d and also my DR-680 when I owned one.
I still run the input around 2 on the H6's X/Y mic to keep it manageable. I feel that the Mic/Line needs a -20 dB pad like the other 4 inputs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:29:46 PM by darby »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
Yep, this input is really hot and cannot be modified in settings. 

Is there a good small profile portable device which could be used to pad this input?

Another question--There is an XLR Head as an optional accessory.  Does anyone know if that is also as hot as XY Head?  I assume so, because the preamps are  likely in the body of the device, not in the optional head, but I have not purchased the XLR head and have not tested it for gain.  Does anyone have any experience with this optional head?   
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
I'm still waiting on the XLR/TRS head... its been over 2 months and B&H keeps sending me backorder reminders.
I feel the wait has been a bit excessive, but it will have a -20dB pad on it like the other inputs.

In re. to the "XLR/TRS head", Sweetwater called me last Friday to tell me it would be available on the 10/18.  We shall see!
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
I'm in the exact same boat with the XLR/TRS module...hopefully it does come out on 10/18. Kinda crazy it took so long.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
I checked the photographs and yes, the XLR Module, while a bit expensive for what it is ($70) does have a -20db pad.

Here is a link to a photo
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H6EXH6
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
Talked with Sweetwater and was told once again that the XLR Module still has not arrived (10/18) and there is no revised date as to when they are shipping this...at least not yet.  One would think this module would have been ready for sale when the H6 hit the street?  Perhaps they are having issues with it?
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

kirk97132

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
Talked with Sweetwater and was told once again that the XLR Module still has not arrived (10/18) and there is no revised date as to when they are shipping this...at least not yet.  One would think this module would have been ready for sale when the H6 hit the street?  Perhaps they are having issues with it?
not my post and I got no dog in this fight:-) End of year according to this
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9467430-post110.html

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
I checked the photographs and yes, the XLR Module, while a bit expensive for what it is ($70) does have a -20db pad.

Here is a link to a photo
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H6EXH6

Like most new products, the brochure gets done before the product is produced.  If you scale up on these two photos, all the tool marks are a dead giveaway that this prototype housing was CNC machined.  Lots of sanding marks, too.

Probably still in initial production, though.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
the tool marks are a dead giveaway that this prototype housing was CNC machined.  Lots of sanding marks, too.

Old school, man.  Most just use the 3D model render in the sales literature now, no bothering with a physical prototype and photography.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »
the tool marks are a dead giveaway that this prototype housing was CNC machined.  Lots of sanding marks, too.

Old school, man.  Most just use the 3D model render in the sales literature now, no bothering with a physical prototype and photography.

Yep, sell 'em air, it's all about the brochure.

There's still a few of us left that make stuff.   ;)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline TAlderson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2013, 08:07:33 PM »
Does anyone have a Marantz 661 that they can compare the XLR inputs/pre to? Have lots of experience with the 661 and was thinking of getting one, but especially for music the extra XLRs and ability to multitrack put this a leg up.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2013, 12:49:50 AM »
Spoke to Zoom rep at AES today, they said it would ship next week, and had one (prototype??) there with them.  No 1/8" line-in, you have to go through the XLR inputs.

Jeff

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
Has someone managed to test the H6 with dynamic mics which require a lot of gain? I mean the likes of Beyerdynamic M58 and Shure SM7B. If so, is the audio usable for high-quality broadcasts? Also, in case someone has gone through such a test, any chance of uploading the audio somewhere? I'd very much like to see how the H6 preamps treat such dynamic microphones.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
Just got an email from B&H that the XLR/TRS attachment has shipped as of today...looks like they're finally out.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.173 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com