Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tube preamps  (Read 1783 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
tube preamps
« on: June 04, 2005, 09:21:50 AM »
Searching around for a tube pre and I came across the Antique Sound Labs phono 1s dt
Has anyone listened to one of these?
I am having a hard time finding a review on them and it does not look like too many places
even sell them.
The other option I was looking at was the audio experience symphones.
(from the reviews here and elsewhere)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:02:23 PM by jackorose »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: tube preamps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 08:31:08 PM »
I don't have experience with that model, but the name implies that it is a phono amplifier, which is to boost the level of a turntable specifically.  Phono amplifiers do not work correctly, if at all, with CD/DVD/DAT/cassette players.  I believe turntables do not ouput the same type of line level as CD/DVD etc.

Similarly, if you have a phono input on your current integrated amp, you shouldn't (can't ?) use that input for CD/DVD etc.

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »
I don't have experience with that model, but the name implies that it is a phono amplifier, which is to boost the level of a turntable specifically.  Phono amplifiers do not work correctly, if at all, with CD/DVD/DAT/cassette players.  I believe turntables do not ouput the same type of line level as CD/DVD etc.

Similarly, if you have a phono input on your current integrated amp, you shouldn't (can't ?) use that input for CD/DVD etc.
thanks for replying, you are correct it does support phono as well as other aux devices.
I believe it is just a mm stage and not the mmc without looking back at the specs.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 07:41:10 AM »
its supposed to be a good preamp from what i've read (the ASL you menton).

the YS symphonies is a great preamp, no doubt.  There are a couple on agon right now for $250.  quite a bargain at that price.

the symphonies + is supposed to be a HUGE improvment over the straight symphonies, fwiw.  I've not heard one.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com