Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope RX  (Read 4346 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
iZotope RX
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »
Anyone else using this program standalone or as a plugin?  Any tips on optimizing cleanup?  I absolutely love what it can do, but I suspect that even tough coughs and noises could be eliminated if I had a better hang of which parameters to try.

Anyone not using it should get it immediately and then respond.

Jeff

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: iZotope RX
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:36 PM »
Posting just to follow the thread.  I don't have [edit- Ozone] iZotope RX but the Cleaning & Restoration suite bundled with Samp v10 Master which features similar tools and with which I'm similarly amazed and uneducated about the particulars.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:39:13 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
I have been using iZotope RX at work to clean up line noise on conference calls with good results. It's better than anything else I have tried so far.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:44:24 PM »
Okay, found a guide called "Restoring Audio with iZotope RX" which is way better than the basic and cryptic videos on their web site.  Also email from them that indicates an online course from the Berklee School of Music will feature RX and Ozone 4.  If anyone else cares.

Jeff

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »
Link to the guide?

Noticed the email today but haven't read it
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/RX/guides.html

At least it takes you through a lot of what the program can do.  What I'd really like is the doctor's guide to "how to treat a cough" and "surgical removal of annoying body noises."

Jeff

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
Okay, found a guide called "Restoring Audio with iZotope RX" which is way better than the basic and cryptic videos on their web site.  Also email from them that indicates an online course from the Berklee School of Music will feature RX and Ozone 4.  If anyone else cares.

Jeff

^^
http://www.izotope.com/newsletters/berkleemusic/

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:27 AM »
Great program for a lot of fixes. I had some tutorials for this put together by a private party that dealt with methods of fixing ect. I'll see if I still have it. 

I still prefer algorithim for straight NR. There proggy is hands down the best, most transparent NR I've ever used.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
Well, having taped last night at a venue with lots of ventilation system noise and whatnot that my cardioid mics were a little too good at picking up, I taught myself how to use the Denoiser today.  Holy sh*t batman, it works as slickly as Oxy-clean in those infomercials.  Sweet.

Jeff

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:15:51 AM »
I've been using Rx for a couple of years now and it does take a good bit of practice.
 Don't be afraid to adjust the display. Being able to clearly make out what doesn't belong is a lot of the battle. Also, zoom should be in just about constant use.
For the spectral repair modules, the before/after and surrounding region settings are key. And don't just trial and error those adjustments. Look at what's going to be used for filling in the hole that "replace" will create and think about what it will sound like when it's in there.

You can also use the spectral repair modules on a single channel. If you're having a tough time removing something, it's almost always louder on the right or left side. Try using the "remove or pattern" modules on the loud side and "attenuation on the soft. It does take patience to do things like remove entire conversations since that's best done syllable by syllable but it can be done seamlessly. I always try using the "replace" module first but you need to adjust the "before/after" carefully. Sometimes it's better to remove slightly louder sounds (like whoopers) by attenuating it a few dB first, then trying replace or pattern.
Short loud noises like coughs are actually pretty easy. If I'm the one coughing (with head mounted mics) the sound pretty much covers the entire spectrum so using "pattern" on the entire slice with the "time" selection tool is pretty effective  If the cough is from someone further away, you can use "replace" with the "time/frequency" selection tool and do it in one frequency block at a time.

The  "partials" module works great for things like the klink of something dropping on a metal chair. If it's a concert with metal chairs, be sure and save that as a preset since the sound is almost identical every time.

I guess I'm assuming that you already have a handle on the different selection tools. If not, you need to practice how much you need to zoom in , which selection tool to use and making a selection box around the offending sound. Sometimes a single box just won't do it (you end up removing too much) so a series of selections works better ( I've asked them to integrate a lasso tool like Audition has and they said they'd put it on the list). They have upgraded the selection tool so when you make a box around the sound, switch to "listen to selection only" or whatever it's called and if you haven't quite gotten it, you can move the borders of the selection around till you do.

Once you think you have the selection correct, apply whatever module you've selected then listen to just the selection. Many times if you've done something wrong in the adjustments or just plain picked the wrong tool, you'll know right away. It should sound like the surrounding area.
Then back up the playback head and listen to a second before and after of the entire region. If that sounds like it's pretty well blended in, back up even more and see if it still makes sense. Be sure that it's all good before moving on. You can go back and "undo" the repair but it's never quite the same I don't think.

Sometimes it's important to do a little planning to do some of these impulse repairs using the Spectral Repairs with "before/after weighting controls". For instance, it someone sneezes a few times in quick succession, you need to start by repairing the right one first. Say, if their sneezing fit started just as a change in the density of the overall music and stopped while this same density was continuing, you'd start with the last sneeze first and the "weighting" would be totally "after" the sneeze. That way, you can do the next one the same way and even if the 'interpolation" used the spot where the last sneeze was, it ain't there anymore (I can't tell you how many times I've remved one offensive noise only to have the interpolation software replace it with it's brother from half a second before or after). Then you just work your way back till they're all gone.

One major tip is if you're recording in a venue that has something like the ventilation system or some other steady state noise, get in there before there's lots of other sounds and try and capture 10 seconds of just that noise. If you can you can splice it onto the front of each of the tracks with that noise on it and "teach" the Denoiser with that. Otherwise you'll be forced to try and find a long enough  section of your recording to "teach" the module what it is that you want it to remove. Sometimes the "Auto" setting (or whatever it's called) does a pretty decent job (but that's up to lady luck).
With the Denoiser, you don't have to use all the settings so if there isn't any tonal noise, be sure and uncheck the link with broadband noise. Also, learn to use the "Output noise only" (or whatever it's called). Some of those preview type features can be pretty damn slow but after you use them for a while, you won't need them as often.

Sometimes things start to get sluggish and you just can't seem to find the noise in the spectragram. Sometimes it's just fatigue but sometimes you've just totally filled up your physical memory with "undo's". Don't let this happen! I keep an open Activity Monitor in my dock to keep an eye on this. Once that pie chart gets much more than half way full, I go back and double check how the repairs I've already done sound and SAVE!!! Then quit Rx.
If you have a memory clearing utility, use that before reopening Rx. If you don't, restart your computer to totally clear that memory. Time really flies when I'm using this stuff (especially if everything's working like magic) so all of the sudden I'll check the log and I've made a hundred edits. If Rx were to freeze when you go to save this,.. big bummer!

And speaking of magic. Sometimes you just get on a roll. And for some reason or another, each repair can be done without any adjustments. Like I said,.. magic! When that happens, save those settings with a descriptive name. Sometimes when you're stuck, running through those settings can make all the difference.

Well, I know I'm forgetting a million things but it's been a while since I cranked Rx up so sue me. I've go a big log of projects to do now so if I come up with any goodies, I post them here.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
Some of these things I've discovered myself by trial and error, but the sum is very helpful and I will do as you suggest, ironguy.

Jeff

Offline titan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »
Well, having taped last night at a venue with lots of ventilation system noise and whatnot that my cardioid mics were a little too good at picking up, I taught myself how to use the Denoiser today.  Holy sh*t batman, it works as slickly as Oxy-clean in those infomercials.  Sweet.

Jeff
Hi, I have a similar problem, was taping without 'screens and picked up a rumble sound from the air con. Tried to fix with 'conventional' methods but without success so gonna give this prog a go. Fingers crossed.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
I am a very happy user as well. Have successfully removed static from a loose connection
and it works wonders on the close-by hard clappers. Highly recommended.
music>mics>pre>recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com